Another JW urban Legend

by NikL 22 Replies latest jw friends

• Pete2
    Pete2

Re: the little dog. You just think he was saved. Upon arriving home the man gave the little dog a bath and when attempting to dry the dog's rather long fur, discovered the hair dryer had been stolen in the robbery -- but the crooks had left the microwave. So, the man stuck little Fluffy in ... and ... horror of horrors ... the dog blew up. No kiddin'.

• sweetone2377
    sweetone2377

hey ballistic, I thought it was a bible story book.

Shelly
    Former victim and recovering wonderfully from a broken spirit
    Smile, because we all have been freed from slavery!!

• dmouse
    dmouse

I just worry what sort of message is it to say young boys should approach strange men in parks.

A JW youth could read this and get himself/herself into all sorts of grief.

• greven
    greven

suddenly the dog can`t stand it anymore and shoots his owner after which he becomes a mad aposto dog. wraw! no please!!!!!!!! Jehovah!!!
    help m--...

sorry, couldn`t help myself...

greven

"Fear is strange soil. Mainly it grows obedience like corn, which grows in rows and makes weeding easy. But sometimes it grows the potatoes of defiance, which flourish underground."
    -from "Small Gods" by Terry Pratchett-

• SYN
    SYN

The poor dog! His owner might not be too bright, but that's no reason to shoot him!

Seven006: "Have you tried drugs? Shooting up a little heroin might do the trick, it's hard to type when your stoned out of your mind. I don't know how TR does it!"

• detective
    detective

My JW friend just related a similiar story to me except the despondant man was on his stoop when he was approached by a witness. Although it wasn't the witnesses territory, he spoke to the man anyway, thus saving the despondant man's life. So the story now has two morals: the troof can save you, and for any lackluster publishers out there: even if it's not your territory you can still turn someone on to the troof and save a life.

I asked my friend if he thought the story was true. He said that there must be people somewhere who would know of the situation so it was likely to be true. He acknowledged that there was some possibility for embellishment but that it was probably true nonetheless.

I'm thinking it might be about time to introduce him to snopes.com

• AlanF
    AlanF

Yeah, I've heard this one before. It's a common theme, not only among JWs but among all Fundy types who think that God "uses" them.

What they never stop to think is why God fails to do anything good for the 99.999% who never get such "divine assistance". Their minds appear to be so tightly forced into a narrow channel that they can't conceive that "time and unforseen circumstance" -- pure coincidence -- sometimes result in amazingly good things. It's the opposite of Murphy's Law and the Law of Shit Happens.

AlanF

• new boy
    new boy

Great post AllenF

As for the odds, since 1-2% OF THE WORLDS population thinks about killing their selfs at any given time, and JWs talk to 10,000s of people a week. This could be true.

Of course we never here about the guy thats getting ready to blow his brains out. Prays to God for help---------door bell rings. Two Jws want to talk to him on how bad the world is, with great articles on "Are we living in the last days" in the WT, and in the AWAKE "Rape and death is it for you?" ---------"NOT interested"------SHUTS THE DOOR. Says to himself "thank you God for the sign, on what to do"----BANG!

• 144thousand_and_one
    144thousand_and_one

I hope the guy saved a garden hose to hook up to his tailpipe and insert in a window while sitting in the car in the garage with the engine running. It causes less mess, and he'll surely want to kill himself after he feels the new pain in his life attributable to being mentally enslaved by a cult that values miserable living and communist ideals.

This is an excellent illustration of a fruitful marketing tactic utilized by the JW cult; hit on folks when they are experiencing some sort of life crisis. That's when they're most vulnerable and easier to manipulate. Their Watchtower horseshit fails on anyone who has their head on straight.

May the watchtower adorn the top of the excrement pile in your nearest outhouse. That'll make it available for fresh poop and pee to wash it down to the bottom of the sewage tank.

• Hyghlandyr
    Hyghlandyr

People are saved from suicide all of the time. The fact is that at any time someone is bound to be contemplating it seriously, or just musing upon it because of depression. Could stories like this be true? Sure, they run the gambut from christians to muslims and buddhits and hindus to atheists. It might be an urban legend, it might be fact. If it is fact and the guy is saved from suicide at this moment to live the next thirty years in depression because a religion fills him with shame, and convinces him that the medical prophesion does not have the solution then what good has it wrought? Let him go get diagnosed, maybe he is bi-polar, or has a chemical imbalance, maybe therapy would help, or maybe drugs would.

The funny thing is that these sorts of things, if true, only work because people in this society are predisposed to believe in some sort of deity. Usually the god of the bible. They are also predisposed to think that god is beneficial to mankind, and trained well to dismiss parts in the bible where he has been downright ruthless with them.

I take the same stance on this sort of thing as I do on miracles. I will allow that it occured, ok now what? God saved him? Why didnt god save him in the first place by not letting him get to that point. Further, why does god continue to hear the cries of his people, tormented, and do nothing? If such a god as declared in the bible were to exist I would personally most of the time, have nothing to do with him, because he is a sadistic little feck.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit