Were U Surprised To Learn Anything About The Witnesses That U Didn't Know??

by minimus 50 Replies latest jw friends

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I was shocked to learn that :

All those years that I took Book Studies in the "Revelation Book" denouncing the U N as the "Scarlet Coloured Beast", they were affilliated to it as an NGO.

They miss-quoted the sources of background material in the WT Lit.

They massaged their dubious past writings and miss-quoted their own books to make it look better. I had a hazy understanding that they had said strange things in the past but never the reality of it.

In short , I was surprised to learn that they had not stood up for clear transparant truth, which is what I expect of anyone that I can trust.

• Pickler
    Pickler

Like BluesBrother, I was shocked about the UN thing. Growing up, the UN was the most hated thing...right up there with Christendom/Babylon the Great.

Since visiting this board I have also been shocked to realise how much of my personal development has been moulded/warped by being raised a JW. There have been some excellent posts about this, and I'm still absorbing it....just becoming aware of it though, is huge.

• losingit
    losingit

I was literally floored by their association with the UN. When i saw that they had to reapply every year and that there were signatures involved, I was devastated for days. The hypocrisy was too much to bear.

• Laika
    Laika

Discovering they'd misquoted writers to support their views was pretty shocking.

• d
    d

That whole 1975 scandal and the charles taze russel false prophecies. I was shocked when I learned so much.

• d
    d

That whole 1975 scandal and the charles taze russel false prophecies. I was shocked when I learned so much.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

All of the things others have said, plus Beth Sarin and "judge" Rutherford. It seemed obvious he was only interested in power, money and control. This was the man who instituted a lot of the Watchtower doctrines, a drunken womanizer by all accounts. It made me realize how much of the history I didn't know

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

Since I was a teenager in 1975, and didn't know any JWs I was mostly oblivious. My father though, made a comment I still remember when the 1975 date passed he said well, the world didn't end, I guess those poor JWs have shattered hopes and dreams that the world of people isn't destroyed, and they won't be in paradice soon. ( He was not a JW but read a whole lot and knew something about just about everything)

Fast forward nalmost 40 years now, and I now find it astounding that not only those who were not around then don't know about it, but how those who were, such as my inlaws and husband, all seem to pretend it was no big deal!!! Now that really shocked me. They sucessfully rewrote the enitre time period and imprinted the society's views in thier own minds, that it was only overly zealous JWs who were affected, and the WTBTS wasn't the cause. I still can't wrap my head around that kind of dissonense. It's just beyond me!

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

" He who controls the past controls the future. He who controls the present controls the past."

- George Orwell, 1984

I think the WT boys who are promoted in to positions of control and influence, like the Writing Committee, are given a copy of Orwell's "1984" to read and absorb the methods. They use them all the time to control the minds, and memory, of the R&F JW's.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

No I wasn't surprised.

As a witness I believed the anointed were Jehovah's Witnesses and like King David made mistakes but were still chosen by God. I also believed that Christ had returned invisibly in 1914 and it as different period of time. The bible was written for them the memorial was their evening, the remaining ones.

I knew of 1874 and 1925 lived through the 1975 period. The UN thing I learnt about after I left so it didn't surprise me. Child abuse I had heard about three I knew of. Etc.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit