Black or white what Racial Discrimination have you experienced?

by usualusername 24 Replies latest jw friends

• soft+gentle
    soft+gentle

yes thats true timebandit that every race discriminates but i must tell you all about what happend to some friends of mind.

they were on holiday in a European city and they had just parked their car in a tight space so it took them a few minutes. They were both black btw. Well when they made their way to the boot to unload their shopping a knife wielding guy approached them and started jabbering in his own language. The couple bolted in fear.

They later learned from their hosts who went to investigate that the knife wielding man was actually a neighbour who thought that the car that had stopped and parked outside their front entrance was the visiting fruit seller and the knife was for cutting out a piece of watermelon. everyone had a laugh afterwards - the fruiterer did come by and the neighbour demonstrated how he cuts out his fruit

• Adventurousone
    Adventurousone

Hello Usualusername:

My husband and I are white, and one time he gave a talk in an all black congregation. We felt a little out of place. Were not prejidice but I think some of them might of been. I could imagine how some black feel when their the only one in the congregation that's black, it must feel a little awkward at first. We should be excepted to embrace all people of all races, it shouldn't make a difference, right? But that's not the case all the time as it was for my husband and I. Everybody should be taught that they put their pants on the same way we do. Their blood is the same color as mine. Maybe someday we'll finally be treated equal, like were suppose to be. So keep up the good work and don't show prejidice to anyone because your the better person for doing so. Take care.

Adventurousone

• sosoconfused
    sosoconfused

when I was in 1st grade my teacher spanked me for beating a young Caucasian boy in a spelling bee.

in north Carolina the hostess at a restaurant refused to give us a seat. She literally took people behind us and in front until it was only us left. She then walked away from the front desk. She came back and we asked her what was going on. She smiled and said she would be back and then left.

we also got kicked out of a park for playing basketball because there were complaints from neighbors that they had never seen us there before. The brother we were there with lived in the community. So after the cops found that out he said,"ok which one of you has the weed?" we told him we didn't. They searched all 5 of us and told us to leave.

those are just some of my favorites

• Satanus
    Satanus

I got it in quebec. French speaking staff sometimes walked away, when i spoke english. Also, a lot of reactions: oh, youre speaking english. When i spoke french, some would say, we don't speak english, here. I have an accent, of course, when i speak french.

S

• Kool Jo
    Kool Jo

One of the elders in a congregation I was associated with in South FL, stated that those Hispanics are just here to take my job

So much for genuine love to persons of "all sorts".

Kool Jo

• garyneal
    garyneal

My wife and I would get the occasional flack from other people because we were interracial. They would never do anything directly to us but it was obviously. The source of the flack would be from both whites and blacks.

I recall working in the IT department as a computer operator and the boss insisted on hiring a helper for me because most of our staff was white (with one asian / white). Every person they hired was black and most of them would not last long but everytime the next person left the boss would insist on hiring another helper even though the workload did not require it. On the plus side, they did hire a competent up and coming individual who I became great friends with even after he and I left the company.

This situation was repeated when our HR person pointed out explicitely that the engineering department was made up of mostly white males and something needed to be done about it. They hired one intern and one full time person (both black). The intern did a decent job but the full time person was totally incompetent and knew nothing about programming inspite of his resume stating that he had years of experience doing software development work. Of course, he had no trouble finding another position elsewhere because if you are a black or woman engineer, companies work extra hard at hiring and retaining you.

• notjustyet
    notjustyet

Wake up moment for me, at least a little easy slap on the face.

Was at a KH build down South in the USA and was staying at a local brothers house sleeping on the floor on a blanket.

Heard the other brothers making it into the house, you know, the ones with bedrooms and also the ones that were white and that were

in charge of running the build as far as the construction process it self. They had a distinct look of "Marlon Brando" (Early years) about them. You know the type, white tee shirts, long greased hair with a curl twisted over the forehead Elvis style. Right out of the 50-60s. I was wondering where the pack of cigarettes were that were usually folded under the short sleeve.

Well after a bit of drinking, you could hear them start using the "N" word. Note that the congregation was pretty much if not all Black brothers and sisters as far as I could tell. I say that due to the ones bringing all the food and also the ones dressed like they had just been out in service as they were all black.

So here I was having to listen to some apparently drunk white BROTHERS in charge of the build laughing and useing the "N" word like it was going to be outlawed soon.

I got up, borrowed a truck and went into town and rented a room at the local hotel.

NJY

• Sammy Jenkis
    Sammy Jenkis

One time when I was 13, I was walking through an Albertson's after school with my back pack on. The store manager started following me around watching what I was doing and after a few aisles worth of being my shadow he rudely asked what was in my pack? I let him know my school books but he didn't buy it, he said he needed to check it because he knew what "you people are really like."

I've never hated other races but that day I definitely hated that douche.

p.s. he was white and I'm Latino.

• ruderedhead
    ruderedhead

My daughter and I were in the Detroit airport waiting for a flight. She was about 15 at the time. We went into one of the fast food restaurants to get something to eat, and could not get waited on. There were no other customers in the place. Every last employee just stood there and stared at us, and would not respond when I asked to order. Just stared at us. They were all black, my daughter & I are white. She didn't understand what was happening, I didn't see a need to explain it to her. We just went somewhere else. Will this nonsense ever end?

• usualusername
    usualusername

Was in my late teens and boarded a London bus.

The Bus Driver inspected my ticket very very very thoroughly. I found it so odd I sat at the front of the bus. White customers tickets were passed by very quickly. Slightly less than white customers were inspected vigorously!

Just another day as a black man in London.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit