Black or white what Racial Discrimination have you experienced?

by usualusername 24 Replies latest jw friends

• usualusername
    usualusername

I could give you hundreds of experiences but let me kick off with the following

I boarded a train at 4am heading to an airport a few weeks ago. In my carriage there were at least 100 people.

I was sitting in 1st Class at the very rear of the train.

The ticket inspector walked past every one in the carriage and asked me for my ticket. I paid the upgrade fee of a few pounds.

I figured he was starting from the rear of the train and working forwards. Wrong.

He took my money and did not check anyone elses tickets.

I don't for a second believe he is a racist as that is quite rear. But my ticket was checked because I am black.

Have any of you faced Racial DiscrimiNation?

• im stuck in
    im stuck in

Yes I experienced it in the Watchtower society. I am a white man I was discriminated against by some black so called brothers in positions of responsibility. When I confronted them telling them that I have no animosty or hatred for them it got worse so I never volunteered again at a dc and I previously had a lot of responsibility. Now I have seen it the other way around as well in fact much more whites towards blacks. I love everyone and I do not ever and I repeat never see color in anyone we are all just humans. In fact recently I was with a gay black man. And he was a great man.

• Oculos Aperire
    Oculos Aperire

There is an awful lot of racism in the Organisation from top to bottom. I have personally experienced it for years, especially when I first came into the 'Truth' when young. I spent half a decade in my very first congregation and was never invited out or to dinner by anyone in that entire time. In winter and in awful heavy rains I would walk the 4 miles to my local hall not realising why brothers who lived right by me would just drive past me in empty cars waving and smiling but never offering me a lift to or from the meetings.

I was alone in there.. no family.. but I was in good standing. I had just got baptised.. I was regular pioneering, training myself to become a missionary.. I was doing everything possible that a young brother could do in an exemplary fashion, yet somehow I was never good enough. I realise now that this was simply a colour issue. Pure racism. It was really quite horrible. I have never experienced so much coldness and lack of genuine love in my life. it was quite heartbreaking that the people I would happily have laid down my life for would themselves not even offer me a sandwhich or a lift. I have to say that is what massively contributed to me leaving. The claim that they have love among themselves is very true.. except it's that they keep it all only to themsleves.

This kind of thing used to trouble me greatly when I was young but no longer now know they are not really a special people but are just the same as everyone else on this planet with all the same faults.

I hear recently that a special D.O had to be sent to that district due to racism problems yet again. Years later the white members are having serious issues when it comes to taking guidance and counsel from dark skinned elders. It's a still a major and I think ignored probelm among these people..

• jgnat
    jgnat

I've experienced discrimination as a single parent (turned down for apartment because single parents party a lot), as a woman (ignored by elders in the hall, passed over for promotions), as an overweight woman (strangers assume I am a glutton, glance at my menu choices at a restaurant).

My son-in-law and daughter are stared at. I remember one memorable stare-er. His family and mine were at a Canadian Citizenship swearing-in ceremony. The staring twerp was there with his filipino bride and his parents. He tried to stare down my big, black son-in-law, my daughter, and my beautiful granddaughter. My SIL ignored him, and my daughter got in to a staring match right back.

I watched a Native-American/White couple, holding hands, go from rental apartment to apartment, in the immigrant side of town, go from building to building looking for an apartment. At the start of the block they looked hopeful, at the end, defeated.

Here in Alberta there is a shortage of labourers. We have temporary workers from all over the world manning our fast-food restaurants, as the Canadian-born grads are all working in the oil patch, raking in great wages. I witnessed a grumpy guy berate a Subway worker, saying he was greasy and dirty, his hat was dirty, and it turned his stomach to eat food he made. The poor Asian man, whose hat was a little greasy, was so embarrassed he went to the back. I never saw him work there again. I tell you, if that had been a white Canadian-born recent grad behind the counter, would the grumpy guy have been so rude, demeaning? I was stunned in to silence but if I ever saw anything like that again, I swear I'd say something.

• usualusername
    usualusername

I went to a local flower shop that was very small and posh.

I stayed inside for 20 minutes and the three shop assistants would not look at me.

The shop was empty.

Yikes.

They were 3 white women and I am black.

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

My experiences have been uneventful, but I recognised a racial experience for the first time when I invoted my highschool classmate over to work on a report togther . At first she said ok, then she was told where I lived ( a highly racially divided area we had just moved to) and she laughed and said " no way!" I was confused at the time. I had no racial judgments in my own personality, and I was not aware of the comunity's racial divide. ( this was mid 70's) Since then I have learned. Yes, it is still there, for all races that I have seen. But to the extent it once was, no.

• soft+gentle
    soft+gentle

I had an egg thrown at me a couple of weeks ago. It was quite comical really as I thought a large bird, an albatross or something had flown over and laid an egg on me it felt that heavy.

• usualusername
    usualusername

soft and gentle tell me more.

• soft+gentle
    soft+gentle

I wasn't injured just shocked. A passerby told me who had done it as he saw the both the truck and the group who'd driven by. edit: forgot to mention that the passerby was black and he said sorry this happened to you. His sympathy and kindness is what i will remember

I had a lot of fresh (thankfully) not rotten egg all over me

didn't report it becuase I wanted to get home quick to wash it all off.

• TimeBandit
    TimeBandit

I lived in New Mexico, USA, for 13 years. In that time my wife and I definitly experienced racial descrimination by the hispanics. Not every day mind you. But occasionally we would be in a Mexican restaurant and the hispanic staff would purposely delay just about every aspect of out service. Not because they were busy, We ruled that out because the times it happened to us the restaurant was slow as far as customers go. We're talking an establishment that is only serving a handful of people, yet it took 30 minutes to even ask what we wanted to drink. We left with an un mistakeable feeling of being descriminated against because we were white. Every race descriminates against other races.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit