My Last thoughts in Field Service Before the Elderly Man Shat Himself and Pissed his pants in My New Car!

by PokerPlayerPhil 36 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• a watcher
    a watcher
    I deliberately got a 2-seater car so I wouldn't have these issues. There's only room for me and 1 of my field service buddies.
  • neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney

Man, this just brings back a flood of terrible memories, the damage and abuse to my car, the appointed men avoiding the hard service work, the pointless driving around, but I have to say I never once experienced anything as bad as that.

One of the most common issues was mothers who'd drop their kids off at the kingdom hall for field service as a substitute for day care and would make looking after them the congregation's problem. When I was a 17 year old pioneer I'd often find myself out in service with 3 or 4 children. Can you imagine having a teenager and four elementary school aged kids knock on your door peddling religious literature?

Another issue was people simply not showing up when field service arrangement had already been made. Early morning service was quite popular in my area. We would typically meet at 6:00 a.m. and half the time the people I'd made arrangement with simply wouldn't show up, no last minute cancellation call or anything.

• brandnew
    brandnew

Im with ..watcher.. corvette driver....just sayin.

I cant remember how many times i was asked, "when are you gonna buy a field service friendly car"?.....

Dumb asses.

• flipper
    flipper

I had a couple weird experiences out in service, one was very positive, the other very awkward.

The positive one was when I was about 25 years old in the mid 1980's, me and a buddy were working out in service and knocked on a door where you could see inside the window to a stairway coming down to the front door. After ringing the bell- immediately a really attractive approximately 30 year old lady came running down the stairs stark naked only wearing her skin ! LOL ! She looked at us and kind of shook her hands to her side and said " oh shit " ! Then she ran back up the stairs giving us a full view of her glorious backside as well ! LOL ! Apparently she was expecting her boyfriend or husband at the door - but nope it was two young testosterone filled JW men calling ! So my buddy asked me " should we leave ? " and I told him, " well even naked ladies need the good news , let's knock one more time ! " So of course she didn't answer and we left. Really bizarre experience , but one you never forget.

Another time this same buddy of mine was with me and my then wife out in service going on return visits. Another young sister in her 20's was out in service with us as well sitting in the back seat with my buddy. He really liked her and was trying to impress her and get to know her. We had this cramped Ford Pinto car with no air conditioning working in 100 degree weather in the summer. My buddy was sweating his rear end off and sadly ; had not used any underarm deodorant or any kind of smell protection. Nobody was saying anything and the smell was rank let me tell you. So I made an excuse to stop at a grocery store and asked my buddy to come into the store with me. Then I privately asked him inside the store, " dude, did you use your deodorant today ? " He asked, " Oh, is it really bad ? " I said, " yeah " - I continued, " I know your really trying to impress Sister young and beautiful - so I thought we'd get you a little help here in the store. " My friend was very thankful to me and really appreciated me saying something. So he used the deodorant before going back to the car and it was a much more pleasant ride out in service. I don't think he got the girl- but at least he saved his dignity in front of her.

Anyway- if I think of more experiences I'll chime in later ! Good thread ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Elderly man sh*t himself and p1ssed his pants?

Double whammy ...

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

When I was a young married woman we lived in a poor area with a lot of older sisters with no car. They would go out in service then expect us to take them on errands, paying the gas bill, grocery store runs, etc. I didn't mind sometimes but they never asked, just assumed. I got tired of running a taxi service, especially if I had other plans.

One time no one showed up to unlock the hall and an older sister hadn't had time to draw her eyebrows on, so she asked me to do it for her while we were waiting. I had no idea how to do that and it gave me the creeps, ugh.

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

I guess the worst bodily function experience for me was in the late 1970's. Had an elderly brother in the car group (my car) who everyone loved. He was in his 80's and grew up as a sharecroppers son in the south. He had to use a catheter and bag for his urine and as we stopped in front of a house in a nice upper middle class neighborhood, he said he needed to empty it. I wanted to take him to a nearby gas station but he said he'd just empty it there. Sure enough he opened the door and dumped it right on the street. I didn't know what to do but it was too late. I hoping no one saw him and would call the cops. Me and the other brothers my age had a good laugh about it later.

HappyDad

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway

I always felt so bad when bringing a small baby in a car seat out on return visits. Mind you, return visits were always better service than the dreaded door to door. But not for babies. Babies can't stand it. They last for a little while and then can't understand why mom is sitting next to them but not picking them up. This pretty soon leads to them screaming their little heads off. I would always desperately want to pick up the baby and nurse them or hold them or whatever they needed, but that would be irresponsible and illegal, and always felt so terrible for the rest of the car group, having to listen to bloody murder.

Glad those days are over!

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Ooh sorry, forgot to add my story about working with an elderly brother in FS.

He was 90 and still driving. He drove himself, me and a pioneer sister out to the territory. His eyesight wasn't what it once was and he clipped the wing mirrors of 3 parked cars in quick succession. The terrified pioneer sister in the back pointed this out to him otherwise he wouldn't have noticed. Luckily, he was continent although at that particular time I don't think I was.

He did, however, have a hacking cough and every 5 minutes or so would cough up phlegm, which he spat onto the middle of the pavement. He was old-school, in that he was very abrupt in his presentation at the door. He didn't talk to the householder, he talked at them.

I chose to take a bus home.

• John Aquila
    John Aquila

The elders as stupid as usual, said "hey, we can spray some Windex on your seats and I have some RVs we can do, it's only water!"

You could have offered those elders a drink of water!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit