Jehovahs Witnesses beleifs and practices are based solely on the bible.....do they still claim that ?

by smiddy 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• smiddy
    smiddy

That was one of the bait and catch arguments that hooked me 53 years ago and I was wondering if they still make that absurd claim .? That their religion is based on first century chritianity .!

Just a couple of claims that are painfully obviously false :

1.The most blatant one was depicting Christ Jesus in illustrations that he was clean shaven.

2.Changing the text of John 1:1 inserting "a" God when their own Kingdom Interlinear clearly reads "and the word was God"

3.Smoking became a disfellowshiping offence.Their is no reference in the bible as to smoking.

4.Dress code for witnessing ,and attending the Kingdom Hall , no slacks for women ,no denim dresses for women,no jeans to be worn by males ,no sneakers or joggers to be worn by either male or female,preferably ties to be worn at all times by males

4a.If you are attending an international convention and on your free time their , sightseeing ,etc.,you should still adhere to the dress code as outlined (in 4) the brochure for attending conventions.

5.No beards are permitted by males certainly for field service and if one does persevere in the congregation he will get no priveledges.

I welcome any additions you can add to this post or even any objection to it . please respond

smiddy

• FrankieGoesToHollywood
    FrankieGoesToHollywood

1. A modern day-Pharise dream (G:B´s dream that is)

2. The Christ is a creator God, but he is not the same as YHWH or "I am". I think the NWT got it right in this case.

3. Has no bearing to a child of God, It´s not as much what you do as to what you strive to do.

4. Again, Phariseic rules, totally unnecessary.

5. Well, this stupid idea speaks for itself.

Conclusion, this religion IS NOT anything like the first century-Christians, especially since thay do not teach about the Kingdom of Heaven

as Jesus and Paul did. EVERYONE that has a living faith in the life of Jesus will enter the heavenly kingdom sooner or later. Period!

• cantleave
    cantleave

The Jesus Character in the bible tried to facilitate some fun at a wedding party by making more wine. JW wedding receptions are the most tedious events, often with little or no alcohol served.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

The bible has very little to do with the WBT$ other than it's a convenient place to cherry pick odd verses to justify their B.I.T.E. method of mind control.

Yes. The WBT$ is running a cult. End of.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Practices not in harmony with the Bible.

refusal to baptise military believers 9SEE aCTS 10)

REFUSAL TO BAPTISE BELIEVERS WIELDING POLITICAL AUTHORITY (SEE aCTS 8)

REFUSAL TO BAPTIZE BELIEVRRS WHO DON'T BELIEVE jERUSALEM WAS DESTROYED IN 607 BCE

etc. etc.

sorry for the caps and typos problem...have to tilt my laptop screen down to see the keyboard in this hotel room at 5 am

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Beliefs and practices "based" on the Bible is the claim, which leaves them free to hold beliefs and to practice as they wish, as long as they can claim some connection to bible teaching, however tenuous.

Such "Bible based" belief and morality has justified Slavery and Apartheid in the past, so the phrase is meaningless.

If they claimed to live by what the Bible actually says, they could be accused of lying, but they say their belief and practice are simply "based" on the Bible.

Where they do depart from reality is claiming to teach what the Bible actually teaches, this could not be, as noted above, further from the truth.

• mP
    mP

Nobody practices what the bible says anyway, so why does it matter. The bible says slavery is fine. only a criminal would follow th ebible.

• mP
    mP

@smiddy

The real lie, is there was one christianity in the first century. there were many, read up on marcion and gnosticim for starters.

• Ding
    Ding

The equate everything the GB says with being what the Bible says... until they change it.

Then the "new light" is what the Bible says... until they change that.

• mP
    mP

@ding

why not thats what the catholics did with the bible. It took hundreds of years to select and edit the books we now call the bible. it wasnt that long ago that the protestants removed what we call the apocrapha from the catholic bible.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit