The Pit of Despair, or going to the DC

by dissonance_resolved 12 Replies latest jw experiences

• dissonance_resolved
    dissonance_resolved

So our DC is coming up and my level of anxiety and depression is through the roof. I've been fading and have noticed that when I don't go the meetings, I'm happy, calm and positive, but when I do go, it takes at least a week to recover. So the prospect of three straight days has me in an absolute panic. Now that I understand the methods being used, my brain goes into overdrive with every sentence I hear being punctuated by my mind saying "Behavior Control!", "Information Control!", "Logical Fallacy!", "Unsubstantiated Reference!", "Emotion Control!", "Hate Speech!". Watching my family taking it all in without question makes it even worse. Maybe I should get little flash cards and just hold them up as appropriate.

Any ideas on how to survive? I'm seriously having completely irrational thoughts, like, "What would happen if I watched Harry Potter on my iPad during the session? Is that a disfellowshipping offense?" I know glass bottles aren't allowed at the convention site, but could I fill a plastic water bottle with vodka? That'd be great for me until one of the kids wanted a drink of water. Maybe I could accidentally trip and fall down the stairs on the first day and break some bones. How about just lighting a cigarette during the drama? Or a cigar, that would be even better. Anything, anything to just get away.

Yeah, I'm totally losing it. The only thing I'm hanging onto is that this will be my last DC. I calculated recently that I've spent an entire year of my life going to conventions and assemblies. A year!!! Never more.

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

(((Friendly hug of understanding and support)))

Oh I have a brainy idea. I think you are a guy/bro?

Why not play sweetheart with your wife, writing and passing her love notes all day...what you want to do with her when you get home etc etc.

That should keep her mind and your mind occupied with happier thoughts.

Just Lois

• DeWandelaar
    DeWandelaar

You know.... why not make your last convention the one of last year? Just don't go...

It looks like you get fysically ill because of going so it is not worth it.

• HarryMac
    HarryMac

Wow, you sound upset.

Overdose on laxatives and say you're going to the convention next city over to cover it in a month or two.

Book a hotel, enjoy your weekend off.

Extreme solution for your extreme distress(?).

Really extreme.

PS. I had already comitted to taking some people to my last DC and I did drink vodka out of a water bottle, lol. I can't endorse that though. Don't lose your way dealing with your emotions with drugs or alcohol (if you're like me you've been practicing that while being a 'believer')... I ended up having to abstain. The world still expects you to be an adult after you get through this. I'm even surprising myself that I'd recomend the laxatives... but ...

• molybdenum
    molybdenum

I try to use the DC as a chance to sow some seeds of TTATT.

First I look for a Brother who I don't know and strike up a conversation.

After all we are encouraged to do that as the gap between the sessions is

roughly an hour and a half.

After the initial greetings , where are you from, when did you come into datroof etc

I say isn't the assembly the most appropriate place to have a spiritual discussion.

They can't deny that.

I try to suss out how they feel about the noolight and so on.

Depending on the response I can usually tell if there is an opportunity to go

a bit further and test out the water so to speak.

There are usually two kind of reactions

1. Total blankness and by the book responses like " well we have to follow what the FDS

tell us don't we....blah, blah.

Time to say well nice meeting you, enjoy the rest of the assembly

OR

2. Some glimmer of ...well I was thinking that too ...kind of look.

Time to spread TTATT...

I usually use the session time to think how can I do this and what I could say

to others. I make notes to myself as it looks like I am diligently following the speaker.

In this way I find that I can endure the three days of "joy" and avoid getting angry, depressed, or

any other negative feeling that comes up.

Try it.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I did all my best napping at a$$embĀ£ies and CONventions.

Fake an explosive case the shits.

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

If it has a radio broadcast within about a mile or so of the stadium (for the volunteers not to miss out) then just park up and listen to it in the car if you absolutely must be there, that way you are in control and can turn it off when you like, swear loudly, laugh in derision, pick your nose, wear shorts and a t-shirt, etc etc and still keep tabs on what is said.

But otherwise as others have said, just dont go. You've heard it all before.

• Sammy Jenkis
    Sammy Jenkis

Oh I just posted a similar recommendation on another thread but you can maybe take your i-pod or audio device and listen to whatever you want pretending you're tuned into the FM frequency of the program.

• dissonance_resolved
    dissonance_resolved

Trust me, if I could think of a way not to go, I would. Hubby is insisting on taking our small children all three days and he has to do attendant stuff or something and can't even sit with them. So I have to be there to make sure the kids are ok, not eating junk etc. Try to keep them as distracted as possible from the program. Long walks outside perhaps.

• finally awake
    finally awake

I have found that the quickest way to get sent home from a place is to vomit all over whoever's in charge. Wait until you are nearly at the convention site, then blow chunks all over your dear husband. Bonus points if you don't get any on yourself. I guarantee he won't make the session until after he has a shower and a change of clothes. Double bonus points if you "forget" to pack him an extra suit. I'm not even joking about this - being able to vomit on command is a very useful talent.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit