Casual sexism in Watchtower literature

by slimboyfat 57 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I notice the sexist language of the Watchtower a lot more these days. Is it on the increase or am I simply more tuned into to noticing it now?

For example this statement in the June Kingdom Ministry:

If we are observant and familiar with the content of the magazines, we can choose something from either the Watchtower or Awake! that will interest the householder. For example if we see children's toys in or around the home, we may choose to highlight an article about family life. If a man comes to the door, we might decide to feature a subject that many men are interested in, such as good government.

I almost laughed out loud when I heard that at the meeting. The brother conducting the part also noticed it because he felt compelled to add his own comment that many women are also interested in good government of course. The Watchtower's casual sexism is an embarrassment to most well adjusted people nowadays. What's interesting about this example is that it's nothing doctrinal, or about so-called headship, or based on a sexist scripture. It's male chauvinism pure and simple.

Has anyone else got good examples of lazy sexism in the literature?

• cantleave
    cantleave

LOL - they really are stuck in the 1950's

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

"If a man comes to the door, we might decide to feature a subject that many men are interested in, such as good government."

And if a woman comes to the door, we might decide to feature a subject like how to better please their husbands.

• Simon
    Simon

Reminds me of this:

Women: Know Your Limits! Harry Enfield - BBC comedy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS37SNYjg8w

Women - know your limits !

• designs
    designs

Careful Simon the Wt. will start using that on the Service Meeting.

• BobFlanagan007
    BobFlanagan007

That Harry Enfield sketch seems to have embedding itself into the subconcious of an entire generation of Brits and ex-pats. There's probably not a month goes by without something (either old or contempory) bringing the phrase "Women Know Your Limits" to mind. It's probably to us mid-30's to mid-40 year olds what "Fork handles, handles for forks" or "Don't mention the War" is to our parents.

• cedars
    cedars

What's written in the literature only reflects the mindset of the men at the top...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQOE5ikf6XM

Cedars

• wasblind
    wasblind

LOL - they really are stuck in the 1950's__Can'tleave

The WTS go back farther than that, They go back to a time when white women and blacks

had no say at all

This religion is a throw back that has not progressed

If people can't wake up for any other reason, I wish they

could wake up and realize this

• BackseatDevil
    BackseatDevil

So some months back I was doing laundry at my aparment laundry room and noticed the Awake! Realize I get hives just getting NEAR the magazine, but anyway, I suffered through and noticed they still have the "Young People Ask" articles. This one was on 'should I have sex before marriage'.

I read. The entire article seemed to be written only for the girls. Arguments include 'no potential husband would want a woman who has slept around' and 'women who put out are always fun to date but never the ones men marry', etc. I was really kind of shocked (and NOTHING shockes me about that religion anymore). I checked the beginning again to see if there was anything anywhere that said "a young woman asked..." and there wasn't.

I. was offended on behalf of females everywhere. It was... like i said, shocking.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

The sexism is more than casual. The Bible was written by MEN in a MALE-DOMINATED society. It is a document essentially about CONTROL.

They want to control everything. That includes women.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit