by slimboyfat 57 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• glenster
    glenster

Unsurprisingly, the GB has a conservative stance on complimentarianism:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complementarianism

• St George of England
    St George of England

*** w52 4/15 pp. 254-255 Questions From Readers ***

? Is it proper for men to tip their hats to women?—G. S., Missouri.

This is a rant about hat tipping and not standing for a woman.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My wife pointed this one out me in the Day's Text a while ago:-

*** w10 9/15 p. 20 par. 13 Christian Unity Glorifies God ***

For example, a man who speaks abusively to his wife should strive to change his attitude toward her, especially as he learns how Jehovah honors women. God even anoints some women with holy spirit, giving them the prospect of ruling as kings with Christ. (Gal. 3:28; 1 Pet. 3:7) Similarly, a woman who habitually screams at her husband should be moved to change as she learns how Jesus restrained himself when provoked.—1 Pet. 2:21-23.

George

• Unicorns
    Unicorns

It's not just the JW's that engage in casual sexism, unfortunately. This kind of thing is everywhere.

Your example reminds me of when bookstores will set out the displays that are set up for different genders. The books in the displays for women are always love stories, diet books, cookbooks, or books endorsing psedoscientific medicine (quack quack). However, the men's displays will have things like science books, philosophy books, graphic novels or classic novels. Apparently my vagina is preventing me from wanting to read about science or enjoying the classics, but does allow me to worry about my weight while indulging in some shitty cookie-cutter love story.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

It's always sexist because it refers to people predominantly in the masculine, rather than him/her. We don't have a singular gender neutral pronoun, so it's correct to use he or she; he/she etc.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

Oh and I wouldn't call it casual. I'd call it institutionalised. One thing that always bugged me the entire 14 years I was a JW.

• Virgochik
    Virgochik

Cedars, thanks for the clip! It was apalling. It helped me to be certain I could never ever sit through a meeting again. My elderly mother's been urging me to just go for the talk. I'm a Supervisor at my job and not only am I not in subjection to men, I'm the boss of several and have even written a few up over the years. No, I've changed too much to sit through this ridiculous crap. This Lett guy's really wierd and I can't picture allowing him to tell me what to do. I may be a female, but I have a brain! Amazing they actually get today's educated, career women to get baptized.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

You can be a successful Christian woman, but they don't want that. They want JWs to be losers.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

My JW friend just watched Cedars' clip and said Lett's gestures are like Hitler's. So true!

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

It was one of the reasons I had a harder and harder time being a part of this organization. I worked my way up in my job and I had the same responsibility and pay as any one else, including men. I got awards, and a huge increase in pay, and a job that usually requires a degree. Yet in the congregation, I was nothing, and never would be anything else. It wasn't that I thought I was better than any one else, but there was a disconnect. I was at a meeting for service, and the brother handling it was completely inept. I thought, you know, I could do a better job than him, but of course I would never be able to do that. It was one of the many things that caused me to wake up.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

I remember seeing inept brothers muffing things up too, but had to bite my tongue. I couldn't even correct speakers on their history when they'd given a public talk (I never even tried with grammar and pronunciation) without getting the hairy eyeball. I'd say things like, "I'd be a great MS, but I wasn't born with the right tackle!" and get the hairy eyeball again.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit