Another bash at education - wt13 9/15

by Splash 27 Replies latest watchtower bible

• wasblind
    wasblind

Thank you Blondie

19 Should supplementary education be decided upon, a young Witness would do well, if at all possible, to take this while living at home, thus being able to maintain normal Christian study habits, meeting attendance, and preaching activity. At the outset a proper stand should also be taken on Bible principles. It should be remembered that Daniel and his three Hebrew companions were captives in exile when they were obliged to undertake advanced studies in Babylon, but they consistently kept their integrity. (Daniel, chapter 1) While placing spiritual interests first, young Witnesses in a number of countries have taken courses to equip themselves for part-time work as accountants, tradesmen, teachers, translators, interpreters, or other occupations that supported them adequately in their primary career of pioneering. (Matthew 6:33) A number of these youths have later become traveling overseers or Bethel volunteers. *** w92 11/1

Equip themselves for partime work, that supports adequately in thier primary career of pioneering

Bottom line : Work to support the WTS

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Designs-

"When I gave a new school overseer a first year college textbook on English Grammar he handed it back"

Oh boy! Would I not just LOVE to do that . Why do they pick the most brain dead, boring and inept speaker on the body to be School Overseer , these days?

Sis. Blues puts it down to the part of the country we now live in, I wonder if it is endemic across the lot these days?

• gingerbread
    gingerbread

The negative stance against higher education is a smokescreen.

They reason that a young (innocent, vulnerable, simple) person will be exposed to immorality, drug and alcohol abuse, politics, evolution and higher criticism.

In actuality, the GB doesn't want people to become educated. Essential parts of a successful education are to learn to reason, question and prove.

And the local elders DO NOT want publishers that are 'smarter' than they are. Register for a four year college or university and see how quickly extra 'privileges' are taken away!

• TotallyADD
    TotallyADD

They are beating a dead horse when it comes to higher education. The last few years I was in I don't remember any of the young people who listen to this nonsense. They all went on past high school and got degrees or went to trade school. I knew a few who was getting college credits while still in high school. I guess the GB keeps up this crap because if one of the young ones screws up in some way during the time they was getting a degree in something the GB has something to point their finger at and say I told you so. Then they can have another WT study on how bad higher education is. Totally ADD

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

" Or they may have reservations about Bible based counsel on entertainment, use of the Internet, and the pursuit of higher education. "

As long as WT uses, even "pursues," doctors, lawyers, engineers, and others with "higher education," it would seem that their "Bible based example" would give a green light to getting professional degrees. For that matter, since WT is now promoting their website doesn't that indicate that they have no reservations about using the Internet?

• erbie
    erbie

Is there any 'Bible based' counsel on higher education?

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

" Is there any 'Bible based' counsel on higher education?"

No. They primarily fall back on bad association, if I am not mistaken. They have even went so far as to set a limit on how many years you can go to school. 2-3 years=additional education, while 4 years = HIGHER EDUCATION. With the continued advancement of technology, you can get a degree without having to set foot in a building, except on occasions for certain tests. So that removes the threat of bad association. What will they do then? Make a list of forbidden classes?

They won't DF you, yet.. An Elder told me that if a brother sends his child off to College, he will NOT be used at the KH. I agree with others about the GB's reasoning. They simply want a KH full of people who are down-trodden, nearly poor, and not able to use critical reasoning skills, which have been demonized. I believe it may have been Ray Franz who helped write some articles about having an open-mind, and about propaganda. It's no coincidence that they have not been repeated.

• ?evrything
    ?evrything

If you get higher education at a university you will probably have sex with someone. -gb

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

When I gave a new school overseer a first year college textbook on English Grammar he handed it back.

Wow...really? What did you say when you gave it to him? Any chance he misinterpreted your handing it to him as something he was supposed to look at and then hand back? What did HE say? Was there any disapproval on his part?

If you send your children to college, will anyone say anthing about it to you? What if you're a new convert? During your studies you explain that you're planning on sending your kids to reputable colleges. Will they ever say anything about it or do they bite their lips?

Do they want you to stop with high school? College? Advanced degrees? And how strongly do they feel about it? Enough to mention it to longtime members?

Any penalties?

• sd-7
    sd-7

Bible-based counsel? Using Watchtower reasoning, Joseph, Moses, Solomon, Daniel, Paul, Matthew, and Luke would be bad examples amongst 'God's people'. They were all well-educated, some of them educated by outside (non-Jewish) sources, even completely isolated from opportunities to engage in 'pure worship'. But no, that doesn't count for anything. Those guys were useless, self-seeking, glory-hoggin' bastards and weren't used by God to do anything! --sd-7

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit