Another bash at education - wt13 9/15

by Splash 27 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Splash
    Splash

Page 20:

The unwary may adopt the same view of theocratic arrangements. They may be unwilling to go along with congregation procedures and may even complain about anything not to their liking. Or they may have reservations about Bible based counsel on entertainment, use of the Internet, and the pursuit of higher education.

Bible based counsel on higher education? 'Bible based'?

(sigh)

Splash.

• designs
    designs

Why does we nedd hi edukaton.

• pixel
    pixel

Oh! " Bible based"? as in " Bible based"? Show me the scripture!!

They really mean GB/FDS/WT based.

Edit: Note that when they are referring to "entertainment" and "Internet", they mean "bad/sexual things may appear using these tools. But how can you link sex with education?????

• cuckoo in the nest
    cuckoo in the nest

They are the only group on this planet that promotes ignorance as a virtue.

I'm reminded of a conversation I had with the MS with whom I was studying, in which I was complaining loudly and vociferously about their anti education stance. He responded "Are you calling the Witnesses stupid, then?"

My answer was "No, I'm calling you ignorant. To be ignorant is to be without knowledge. Thinking that's a good idea is stupid."

Shortly after I was dropped as a study...

• designs
    designs

cuckoo- That's it! My wife, a graduate of UCI, cringed through the public talks. When I gave a new school overseer a first year college textbook on English Grammar he handed it back

• AwareBeing
    AwareBeing

That is too funny designs! The S.O. must be totally cuckoo for Coo Coo Puffs!

Once I had a grammer workbook in the magazine drawer for a few months as a refresher.

While using it during down time an elder asked: "What's this book I keep seeing?"

I showed him the cover and he said: "You wouldn't be needing that!"

• wasblind
  • wasblind
    wasblind

As a Governing Body member, I do not and will not promote the higher education of black people

It will cause them to think independently from those who rule in Brooklyn

Young people who finish highschool should give more time, more energy

and the use of thier already limited resources to do more in fieldservice

The overseers count on these efforts to have a positve report for the Masters

that reside in the Big House in Brooklyn

Yours truly

Sam Herd ( The Token )

• cuckoo in the nest
    cuckoo in the nest

Education is their kryptonite. Knowledge inoculates you against the torrent of dumbassery that flows forth from the platfom every meeting. The WTS tells you what to think, but higher education teaches you how to think. To assess, to analyse, to evaluate impartially.

An intelligent, educated publisher is their greatest fear, someone who sees straight through the fallacies and flawed logic.

• blondie
    blondie

They are probably trying to eliminate this information from the minds of jws.

*** w92 11/1 p. 20 pars. 17-19 Education With a Purpose ***

17 If Christian parents responsibly decide to provide their children with further education after high school, that is their prerogative. The period of these studies would vary according to the type of trade or occupation selected. For financial reasons and in order to enable their children to get into the full-time service as quickly as possible, many Christian parents have chosen for them short-term study programs in vocational or technical schools. In some cases youths have needed to be apprenticed to some trade but always with a full life of service to Jehovah as the goal.

18 If additional courses are taken, certainly the motive should not be to shine scholastically or to carve out a prestigious worldly career. Courses should be chosen with care. This magazine has placed emphasis on the dangers of higher learning, and justifiably so, for much higher education opposes the “healthful teaching” of the Bible. (Titus 2:1; 1 Timothy 6:20, 21) Further, since the 1960’s, many schools of advanced learning have become hotbeds of lawlessness and immorality. “The faithful and discreet slave” has strongly discouraged entering that kind of environment. (Matthew 24:12, 45) It must be admitted, however, that nowadays youngsters meet up with these same dangers in high schools and technical colleges and even in the workplace.—1 John 5:19.

19 Should supplementary education be decided upon, a young Witness would do well, if at all possible, to take this while living at home, thus being able to maintain normal Christian study habits, meeting attendance, and preaching activity. At the outset a proper stand should also be taken on Bible principles. It should be remembered that Daniel and his three Hebrew companions were captives in exile when they were obliged to undertake advanced studies in Babylon, but they consistently kept their integrity. (Daniel, chapter 1) While placing spiritual interests first, young Witnesses in a number of countries have taken courses to equip themselves for part-time work as accountants, tradesmen, teachers, translators, interpreters, or other occupations that supported them adequately in their primary career of pioneering. (Matthew 6:33) A number of these youths have later become traveling overseers or Bethel volunteers.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit