Another example of evolution before our very eyes!

by cantleave 36 Replies latest jw friends

• cantleave
    cantleave

I read an interesting article in The Awake in “The Scientist” on-line magazine and I thought I would summarise it for the lovely people on JWN. This is a great example of what “survival of the fittest” really is and it provides evidence of evolution that can be observed in our own lifetimes.

Creationists will say this is “micro” evolution and not “macro” evolution (or as an evolutionary biologist refer to it – speciation). They will argue that that these are two different concepts, but the reality is that it is an accumulation of these small changes occurring in different populations that will eventually create a divergence resulting in a new species.

Charles Brown of the University of Tulsa has been studying the social behaviour of cliff swallows for the past 31 years (good job Armageddon didn’t strike in 1975). These birds are migrants that spend their summer on the pancake-flat plains of south western Nebraska.

Here they nests under bridges and overpasses. During his studies Brown has seen a lot of road kill—and whenever he spotted dead birds on the roadside, he collected them. He says there was no particular reason for this but as a keen taxidermist he didn’t want good specimens to go to waste.

But as the years passed he noticed fewer and fewer dead swallows along the roadside, which didn’t correlate with the fact that the population was increasing. Being a scientist he wondered why this was the case. Was it that the birds were adapting to road mortality? Was an evolutionary change occurring making them less vulnerable to road kill?

As part of his research Brown trapped birds in mist nets in order to weigh and perform measurements. Some of the birds trapped in these nets die, and so he had two sets of data to compare, birds killed in road accidents and those killed by netting.

He noticed that vehicle-killed swallows had significantly longer wings, and thus broader wingspans, than those that died randomly in the nets. . And while the average wing length in the population had gone down since 1982, the average wing length of birds killed on the road had increased. The results suggest that these birds are adapting (evolving) to avoid collisions with cars.

In Browns own words

“Shorter wings may confer greater manoeuvrability to help the birds evade cars—a trait that appears to have been selected for over time”

He also pointed out that the reduction in wing size wasn’t entirely because of cars, it is possible that changes in insect communities due to rising corn monoculture could also select for shorter wings. It is of course also possible that the birds are simply learning to avoid cars. But it would appear that road mortality is exerting a strong selection pressure.

Anyway, I found this interesting, maybe someone else will too!

• Tiktaalik
    Tiktaalik

Very interesting stuff, cantleave. Thanks for posting it.

• sir82
    sir82

Hoo boy - here comes the stampede of spluttering creationists!

This ought to be entertaining.

• Comatose
    Comatose

Nice article. Thanks for posting.

• cantleave
    cantleave

lol - my little joke back fired - meant to The Awake

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

So if I had to guess ( not being a real scientist ), I would wager that the birds living in the city, with shorter wing spans, thrived more than the birds with longer wing spans? Perhaps shorter wings allowed them to hunt down more manuverable prey items as well as avoid dangers and take off quicker from a standing position. The longer the wings are, the more powerful and heavy the bird must be, and it takes a while to get off the ground. An extra second or two could mean the difference between life and death when cars are involved. So logically, the birds who are better adapted to survive the city are going to live and breed, and pass on these traits, correct?

Wouldn't the true test of whether or not a " new " species evolves be difficult to prove? An evolved species becomes a new species, when?.... BTW, it is very interesting. I am a fan of crows and ravens myself. I have seen them wait until a traffic light turns colors before they will land. They are very intelligent.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

I did some brief research on speciation. In order to be a new species, the animal in question must be unable to procreate with the earlier " species." So it seems that without the "original" species left as a control, it would be very difficult to prove that a "new" species had evolved. This wouldn't disprove "evolution", because evolution is " Evolution is the change in the inherited characteristics of biological populations over successive generations.". ( from Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution )

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I read about another, similar thing. This scientist was studying crickets on one of the Hawaiian islands. He found that a lot of crickets were being killed by a parasitic fly, which would locate the cricket by the sound they made from rubbing the wings together. He came back many years later, expecting to find no crickets. Instead he found the cricket population had grown, but the majority of these crickets made no sound. He found that they had malformed wings, which prevented them from making the characteristic sound that males use to attract females. Because of this abnormality, they were not found by the parasitic fly. They would just hang out near the few crickets who could make the noise, and managed to mate.

Normally this genetic abnormality would have made them less likely to breed and reproduce, but in this case it gave them an advantage.

Another example of very fast evolution.

• prologos
    prologos

It probable is the case of the BIRD BRAIN evolving.

Birds enjoy flying without effort, V-formations, windward of ships, windward of hills. in thermals. Dynamic soaring of swallows.

Birds will deliberedly fly in front of vehicles to get a lift, a boost from the nose wave. OBSERVE it, of all the places, they will aim for the 2 yards in front of you.

Its tricky but gratifying, and the ones that master it, will breed. breed well, because they use less energy to hunt.

shorter wings ? if true perhaps food sources are closer now, distance efficiency matters less.

The wings of birds are marvelous, but the brain, bird mind that uses them is too. driven by joy.

• John Locke
    John Locke

Interesting stuff cantleave!!! Can you give a link to that article?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit