JW MURDERED AFTER MEETING

by Mister Biggs 17 Replies latest social current

• Mister Biggs
    Mister Biggs

The New York Daily News ( http://www.nydailynews.com/2002-04-11/News_and_Views/Crime_File/a-147249.asp) and the New York Post ( http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/14181.htm) ran different articles on the same story.

Gloria Aiken-Logan

GRIEVING NIECE:
    Natala Prince yesterday cradles
    a photo of her aunt, Gloria Logan,
    an innocent bystander who was
    slain on Tuesday night in Brooklyn.

Article from The Post:

April 11, 2002 -- A 66-year-old devout Jehovah's Witness was caught in the crossfire and killed by gun-toting drug dealers as she got off the bus on her way home from services, police said yesterday.
    Relatives said longtime Bedford-Stuyvesant resident Gloria Aiken Logan was never fearful of the crime and drugs that surrounded her Quincy Street apartment.

"She had no fear. She always said the Lord would protect her," said her sister Janette McFarlene of Maryland. Logan was shot in the head Tuesday night after getting off a bus around the corner from her home.

Family and friends gathered at Logan's home to pay their respects to her grieving son, 26-year-old David Logan, who was too distressed to speak about his mother's death.

Police Commissioner Ray Kelly called the shooting death "a terrible tragedy. The woman was not involved . . . She was just getting off the bus."

Logan, one of six brothers and six sisters, immigrated to the U.S. from Trinidad 34 years ago.

She worked mostly as a baby-sitter and loved to cook for family and friends, said her sister. Logan had been attending the Kingdom Hall on Madison Street for at least 20 years.

"No matter how depressing the situation would get, she would always be positive," said her grieving sister. "She always looked on the bright side."

Logan lived in a three-story brownstone apartment house with her two brothers and son. The family moved in three years ago and were working together to renovate the building.

Police were canvassing the neighborhood.

Trevor Herne, A 24-year-old man from North Babylon, L.I., was believed to have been arguing with the shooter and was shot in the leg. Cops said they found drugs nearby.

Cops said the two men were fighting when Logan got off the bus.

"She was walking in the opposite direction and was behind one of the men. She was walking away when one of the shots hit in her the head," said a police source. At least three shots were fired.

Herne told police he was being followed when he was wounded. However, police say Herne was being "uncooperative" in helping them find the shooter. Herne is in stable condition at Kings County Hospital.

"I'm in disbelief," Logan's niece Natala Prince, 22, said. "The tears can't even flow. I can't believe she is gone."

Prince said her aunt was the matriarch of the family. "She was the mother of everyone. She helped raised all her nieces and nephews. Her goal was to always keep the family together. She taught me that nothing comes easy in life, and without God, nothing can be done."

• Reborn2002
    Reborn2002

So much for the urban legend about "making it to the meeting" and being "protected"

She should have stayed home that night.

Very unfortunate tragedy.

PERSONAL WEBPAGE-
    http://www.geocities.com/latinloverchicago/Jason1.html
    FREELANCE ARTWORK FOR SALE-
    http://www.geocities.com/latinloverchicago/JasonArtwork1.html

• Mister Biggs
    Mister Biggs

Reborn2002-

I was going to make that very point!

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

Yikes!
    I'm sorry for the family.
    My brother was at bethel same time as I was and he was in a Bedford-Stuyvest congo. I only went once with him to his congo. Too scary just walking the streets there.
    j2bf

• Angharad
    Angharad

A very sad tragedy, smypathies to the family.

• searchfothetruth
    searchfothetruth

Witnesses believe that Jehovah will protect them when they are doing his will, take some of the stories we were fed about lone sisters being protected by large men, visible only to the murderer.
    What must her family and cong think now. In many rough areas, older witnesses are forced to take buses and trains to get home from meetings and when things happen there is no shame felt by the cong members who have room in their cars but still don't offer a lift.

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

Damn, that's a shame. Poor lady. Hopefully they incarcerate those scumbags who did it, forever.

• Xenu
    Xenu

searchfortruth
    The Jehovahs Witness do not believe they are under an umbrella of Divine Protection while being active in Kingdom Works.

• Mister Biggs
    Mister Biggs
    The Jehovahs Witness do not believe they are under an umbrella of Divine Protection while being active in Kingdom Works.

That statement may or may not be true, depending on which JW you speak to.

If a JW was shot and killed while (for example) partying at a night club instead of being at the Theocratic Ministry School that night, they would say that if they came to the meeting that night they'd still be alive.

But when something like this occurs (the lady getting shot after leaving the meeting), it's "unforseen occurrence".

• slipnslidemaster
    slipnslidemaster

Contrast this story with the Brother that decided to quit his job to go to the Kingdom Ministry School and thusly survived the World Trade Centers destruction.

I wonder how the GB will spin this one?

Surely she wasn't a spiritually mature sister, otherwise why would Jehovah allowed her to get shot?

Slipnslidemaster:"I worked very hard and I earned all the attention I'm getting."
    - Anna Kournikova

Unseen Apostate Directorate of North America

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit