How much have you changed as a person ?

by Phizzy 31 Replies latest jw friends

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

I'm much prettier, now.

(ladies)

• franticfran
    franticfran

We had the first birthday party in 36 years, for my husband this weekend (70th can you believe that?) and it was great and another ex witness unexpectedly turned up, and oddly enough despite being OUT for over two years now I admit to everyone here (but not to the family) that I felt slightly guilty,cant explain it just did. We had loads of new "normal" friends around,oh yes and....I now dont trust anyone nor do I expect anything and remain pleasantly surprised when good things come my way. I think were all a bit damaged now. Still life is good.

• Laika
    Laika

I find it much harder to trust people.

• DJS
    DJS

I like myself much more than I did as a JW, and the primary reason is that I no longer judge others. The WT world is primarily about judging - those on the outside and (like a guppy eating its own) those on the inside. I am more open minded, accepting and tolerant. I don't worry about always having to be right or prove my point (shove the WT down someone's throat). And I don't waste my time on useless arguments about religioin or politics (typically). I have already made a few exceptions on this site!

I have also found that I am more aggressive, more wiling to take a few risks. This is who I have always been but I buried it under WWJD and the passive turn the other cheek mindset of the WT.

• Dagney
    Dagney

That's a very good question.

Although I'm incredibly happy I left WT, and grateful every day for the freedom and the new friends I've found, there are some changes I'm not crazy about. With the loss of 95% of everybody I ever knew, I find myself numb in areas and to people I would not have expected...just really no feeling. I know it must be an involuntary defense mechanism, but it surprises me. I also have heard I am more serious, which bothers me...and I want to work on that.

It's like double whammy....absolute elation of knowing TTATT, then incredilble loss of everything familiar. It's a little hard to make each day count like we are supposed to, but I'm working on it.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

"Mum" said "I have learned to like myself and see myself as a good person. "

That is wonderful, and I am sure true of many of us.

• Bugbear
    Bugbear

I feel like just been broken out of mind jail. There is a fantastic life outthere with so many ideas and thougts that I never have tried before. And I am 67 years of age - finally free!!

Bugbear

• thinking_not_believing
    thinking_not_believing

I've grown as a person so much. of course I left when I was 20 soo... most people change during those years anyway. but I spent my entire teenage years shy and ashamed of who I was. now I can talk to everyone and not give a damn what they think of me. I also hated the judgemental attitude witnesses have. now I'm happy

• Sammy Jenkis
    Sammy Jenkis

I remain the same but have a different outlook as before everything was doomsday this and end of the world that. Now I see only that one day I started and unfortunately one day I will end. No more no less.

On a positive note I believe I am less judgemental and much more open-minded but have definitely closed the door on religion. I miss my loved ones but I guess that's the price paid for choosing what to believe.

• HarryMac
    HarryMac

I'll say like many others... happier to be not judging people as worldly and realizing I can have a connection with them.

Before they were 'worldy'... or as one elder informally told me.... 'dirtbags'.

Yeah, not thinking like that has me feeling better in many ways.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit