How much have you changed as a person ?

by Phizzy 31 Replies latest jw friends

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I was a born-in, and in for over five decades. In the comparatively short time since leaving the WT for good, for good in both senses ! , I feel I have become a very different person, in quite radical ways.

How do you feel you have changed ?

Are any of the changes negative in any way ?

Do you feel this process of change is an on-going thing, or do we reach an equilibrium ?

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

I'm less judgemental and more open minded.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Much more cynical about everything. Maybe that's just age.

• gorgia2
    gorgia2

Oh - ongoing, I hope! Great topic Phizzy.

Growing up & being a teen in the JW cult I felt split in two - the real me & then the me I had to be as part of a JW family & cong. I was fortunate in that my parents were not very active, so I imagine it was worse for other ex-JW's & for current people stuck in now.

The real me wasn't evil by any means - I just happened to have a personality, with likes and dislikes, passions and hopes.

Now I can express them.

gorgia

• zeb
    zeb

I engage by emails to help others who have been abused.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I'm still basically the same bloke.

Due to my lack of belief in a god existing, life has become much more prescious to me.

• irondork
    irondork

I feel calm now.

I still have a zillion questions, doubts, puzzles to solve. But I can enjoy the process because I don't feel I NEED TO GET THERE NOW! I'm not in a scramble to get it studied, or prepare what I'm going to say about it, or keep track of my time sharing it. I'm free to not know - and the not knowing is not bothersome. It was refreshing to discover that research could include information from more than one source.

Mostly, I am delighted that I can "keep on the watch" without having to be in panic-mode.

I feel calm now.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Fatter and balder

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

" But I can enjoy the process because I don't feel I NEED TO GET THERE NOW! "

Second. I too now realise I have many years of life ahead of me to learn and plan.

Other changes in me: my major depression and anxiety disorder are cured! After years of doctors and medications, the real answer was in getting away from that cult.

• SophieG
    SophieG

I feel like a much better human being, more cognizant of people and life. No more depression and mental anguish. I feel happier and I feel like I am racing to make up for the 40 years (including childhood) that I lost. I think for me it will be ongoing, there is so much of life to make up for.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit