The Apostle Paul VS. Jesus Christ---Were They On The Same Page?

by minimus 56 Replies latest jw friends

• mP
    mP

@Band

I've read a lot of Paul and pondered issues for decades. First, Paul never was the jerk the WT teaches. I now admire Paul, a miracle in itself. Most of the most wacko stuff attribute d to Paul was never written by Paul. If you read Romans and Corinthians in a few srssions and then compare Hebrews and Timothy, the difference is notable.

mP:

I have no respect for Paul partocularly because of the book of Philemon which is supposedly one of the 7 genuine books. Why does he not help the run away slave ? Why does he never condemn the master for being evil or slavery in general ? Why are people taking advice from someone who would fit just fine with other evil men such as the KKK ?

• mP
    mP

Jesus was a jew who practiced the old customs of judaism. Not once did he say the old law was over and in fact repeats countless times the opposite, eg Mat 5:17-19. Either jesus was lying here or he changed his mind. Why would God invent the mosaic laws which are lets face it quite barbaric and at time down right stypuid.

Isnth the simple answer that God didnt write the laws of Moses, but these laws were invented by men over 2500 years ago ?

• mP
    mP

Eden:

Why does Jesus never condemn slavery but repeatedly tells the poor to be good slaves and pay their taxes ? Whose side is he on ? Why is he so concerned with taxes but never has the time to condemn slavery ?

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Pauline Cristianity/Christology was what grew into the Western Church, the Eastern Church seems to have sprung from the Jewish Christian groups who at first admitted few Gentiles unless they were already proselytes.

There was no real union of the two branches from the start of Paul's activity.

The RC Church and the Protestant movements that followed the reformation all err on the side of Pauline Christology.

I don't think Paul had much idea about the original Jesus and his attitudes and teaching, Paul simply built his own teaching based on his series of brain-farts.

• mP
    mP

Phizzy:
    Protestanosm came after the reformation, catholicism was the before bit. thats a very important distinction. The Protestants were protesting against the catholics.

• Fernando
    Fernando

Jesus influenced Paul who influenced Martin Luther who set the pervasive second reformation of society in motion without which possibly none of us would even have been born.

The 5 solas of the reformation seem to come directly from Paul's deep understanding and detailed discussion of:

• "law vs grace",
    • "faith vs works",
    • an imputed clean standing (sanctification),
    • an imputed right standing (justification),
    • imputed friendship (reconciliation),
    • imputed freedom (deliverance/liberation)
    • imputed family membership (adoption),
    • and imputed eternal life (salvation).
  • Fernando
    Fernando

I have come across people who (seemingly/possibly) like Paul live, breath, eat, sleep and write the transcendent "gospel of grace" but still struggle with elements of their old legalistic, moralistic, carnal, temporal, religious, cult self or identity.

In reality this probably applies to a greater or lesser extent to every single person who has ever been directly or indirectly exposed to religion, religionists, and religious thinking.

It seems that this dual identity at times plays out around key issues such as the person's new versus old worldview on same sex relationships (as one major example).

(Why does the "true religion" secretly blind its followers to the "Good News" according to Paul, Moses, Isaiah and Psalms?)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit