Invites, Parking and the DC - a true laughable story

by wizzstick 27 Replies latest jw friends

• wizzstick
    wizzstick

I'm in a major UK city, and we're assigned to an out of city location for our District Convention.

To set the scene this site is off a busy motorway (freeway). It's a football (soccer) stadium. There is nothing around aside from one petrol (gas) station which also has a tiny supermarket in it. Other than that, there's nothing. No houses, no commercial units, just farming fields. All the roads have parking restrictions on leading off the motorway and around the stadium. There is no parking other than at the stadium. Everyone either drives or goes on a coach. Nearest train station is miles and miles away.

So we've been asked to order our car parking tickets for the DC. It's one per family. Last week at the mid-week meeting I did just that. Here is the conversation...

Me: I need to order my car park ticket for my family.

ANold Elder: Fine, I'll put you on the list.

Me: So...

ANold Elder: So...what?

Me: What happens if you don't have a ticket?

ANold Elder: Haha, well you don't get in! Remember there's no parking anywhere else. That's why we're reminding all the brothers to order them!

Me: So...what about all the invites to the DC we're handing out to everyone on the door to door work. If people did respond, where would they park? I mean if there's no car park places, where would they go? *laughing* It's like saying "Please come to our district convention... err...but don't really ".

ANold Elder: .....er......*looks at paperwork*

Me: Oh dear...

ANold Elder: ...hmmmm.....*walks away*

Seriously, thousands of Witnesses engaged in a literally useless work. You can argue about doctrines, but this really, really is a waste of everyones time.

Once you start understanding how this group works then it really does open your eyes to the pointless crap going on around you.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Brighton by any chance?

• wizzstick
    wizzstick

Good call, but no. I've heard about that. The new stadium isn't exactly as popular with the brothers as the old venue in the Convention Centre!

The stadium is the same situation parking wise isn't it?

• tresdecu
    tresdecu

Wizz...thanks for the translation for us 'Merican Brothers! ;-)

Thanks too for posting that ridiculous bit of ridiculousness. It shows the higher-ups must know, that nobody really takes these invites to heart. What a complete waste of time.

• Simon
    Simon

When we used to have assemblies at Maine Road there was a small amount of parking on the grounds but the rest was miles away and a long long walk through the streets.

The elder that managed the distribution of parking tickets managed to find himself conveniently able to parkright on the grounds ... every year. I'm sure it was all legit with no favoritism at all ...

The invites are interesting: I remember getting challenged because I didnt have a badge. Hardly the welcome to the public they imagine.

But did anyone really ever turn up from those invites? Just something to feed the sheep ...

• blondie
    blondie

They still charge for parking tickets? But not for the publications? Do they charge for parking in the US?

I always wondered if they charged for parking from non-jws or how they got around that?

*** km 4/12 p. 3 Our District Conventions—Powerful Testimony to the Truth ***

Parking: At all convention sites where we control the parking, the spaces will be available to attendees at no charge on a first-come, first-served basis. Only those with a state-approved license plate or placard for the disabled will be allowed to park in the area reserved for them. Parking is usually limited, so carpooling should be done to the extent possible.

• Thor
    Thor

"literally useless work"

Really, so true, such "crap"!!!

Mrs. Thor

• St George of England
    St George of England
    Brighton by any chance?

The Brighton DC is held at the new AMEX stadium at Falmer, just outside Brighton.

There is minimal parking there, apparently when there is a football match on they also use the University car parks. So if we want to take the car we have to ensure we have all seats filled for each day; if you are not full then publishers will be assigned to you.

Last year it was total chaos. It took an absolute age to get out of the car park, the attendants were total idiots and lots of drivers were really getting wound up about the situation. To cap it all it was peeing down with rain and freezing cold.

Would you invite a member of the public to that? One glance through the programme will give you the answer.

George

• TotallyADD
    TotallyADD

I know in another thread they ask if JW have visited you house. I say only once and we was not home so they left a invitaion to the DC in our door. Will here in the wild's of PA we are 300 miles away from that DC. My wife and both looked at each other and said They invite complete strangers to the DC which is 300 miles a reglion they know nothing about and expect someone to show up. We both just shook our head and laugh at the absurdity of it all. Toally ADD

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW
    They invite complete strangers to the DC which is 300 miles a reglion they know nothing about and expect someone to show up.

Even Dumber..

They drive 300 miles to deliver the invitation..

Then another 300 miles to get home..

It`s a challange for them to get to my house too..

Especially in the Winter..

If you go over a cliff here,they may not find you till spring..

........................ photo mutley-ani1.gif...OUTLAW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit