Couple other interesting DC tidbits...

by goatshapeddemon 29 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• goatshapeddemon
    goatshapeddemon

1) they're going to stop producing the WT publications index "because its hard to maintain and translate". So they're going to create a digital-only research tool on JW.org . It's like, how convenient and smart. They can now conveniently remove all the old light as soon as it is superseded with new light and they can get just "lose" all reference to the old, inconveniently damning articles from before 1994 (like hat tipping is from the devil and chess is a war-game and all that tripe). Ministry of Truth, anyone?

2) they told people in the morning announcements to bring your lunch from home so as to not to leave the convention site and thus avoid supporting the worldy outside vendors

3) today's "new releases" we're actually five old re-releases of tracts entitled "who really controls the world", "will this world survive", "the secret to family happiness" and two other very familiar sounding titles. Endless to say we didn't bother standing in the new release lines this afternoon. I'll post more details and the official titles tomorrow

and as I mentioned in the Gerrit Loesch thread:

4) there was a future-state drama about a modern-day Job meeting the real Job and swapping stories. The modern day Job's daughter was killed with his FiL in a car wreck. And they made out "worldly" people to be mean-spirited false comforters who told them their calamity was god's way of punishing them for being part of a "sect" (haha, they didn't say cult) and his boss said that to recover from the calamity, he should forget about god and throw himself into work (he is fired soon after). And in the end, because they were faithful, everyone shows up resurrected in the paradise.

5) there was a skit about an aunt (sounded Hispanic) who wanted her niece to go work in another country because she could make "5 times more money raising other people's kids" than they could in their current country. The husband was inclined to listen, but the neice was concerned about leaving her kids with her husband to work overseas, especially if she was going to be raising other people's kidsmwhen they didnt really need the money. an elder finally came by to say that he had worked overseas and regretted it terribly - he came back to a significant paycut, but it was spiritually worth it. It was so bizarre and random that all we could figure was that it was their way of telling immigrants to go back to their home countries.

6) also, one thing I forgot to add in my Gerrit Loesch post, he said "we believe in education, but we believe in the highEST education, like what you can get at the Bible School for Christian Couples, higher education isn't enough for us"

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

I heard the 'don't go to other countries to get jobs' in 2009 in an international Dc in Myanmar, which is a very poor country. They seem to be ramping up that theme as they had it in an awake or public wt last year or the year before too, and it was full of horror stories. Never mind that the families of the the immigrant workers can now afford healthcare and education for their kids...don't want the kids sent to school now do we?

Love your 1984 reference. If only George Orwell, my hero, were around to see what is happening.

• Zordino
    Zordino

What is their purpose (financial gain) for wanting immigrant JW's to return to their home countries and not go oversea's for work? I don't get it. Can anyone explain the GB's reasoning on this?

• zound
    zound

"we believe in education, but we believe in the highEST education, like what you can get at the Bible School for Christian Couples, higher education isn't enough for us"

I bet he was chuffed coming up with a catchphrase like that.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

"Jehovah's Witnesses are the thinkingest people on earth." - A Morris III

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I find this especially interesting:

2) they told people in the morning announcements to bring your lunch from home so as to not to leave the convention site and thus avoid supporting the worldy outside vendors

When the Watchtower is negotiating the rental they have to pay for convention facilities, they always make a big point of the economic boon their presence will bring to the immediate area. The stuff in item #2 needs to be documented and publicized.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

Do you think they'd ever let the truth get in the way of their dealings?

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

Reading this thread has made me appreciate even more my freedom from all the "weirdness" of that world.

Big hugs to all of you still stuck in and having to endure this madness.

xxx

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

Nathan Natas...I completely agree with you.

When I have read newspaper announcements about an upcoming convention and the City Council posts how good their business will be for their City, bringing XXXXX delegates, with pockets dripping with spending money, ready to live it up in "Convention City", equates (picking number from the sky), how much money JW's will be leaving in their fair City, and so giving Watch Tower the convention site free, at cost, or for very little money, When that happens, I think, ah, no.

Why haven't these City Councilmen clicked on to the fact, we are told to bring our own lunch, and that it is frowned to go out after dinner, sighting instead that, it is better to turn in early and be well rested for the "great spiritual feast" in the morrow?

Don't any of these Convention Cities get it? We are even told to take our own trash home and dispose of it there, saving the Governing Body $2 . oo on each plastic bag full of trash.

The City does not benefit, the vendors do not benefit, only The Watch Tower benefits. That is how they play their game.

Just Lois

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

There is a quote somewhere, possibly George Carling, that states

Jehovah's Witnesses are coming to town. They bring with them the 10 commandments and a $10 bill and they won't be breaking either. :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit