Are Jehovah's Witnesses a Cult?

by trevor 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• trevor
    trevor

Mind Control

When one is a member of a group such as Jehovah’s Witnesses, it is not possible to be aware of the degree to which personal freedoms that are normally taken for granted are lost. The mind-control techniques used by the Watchtower Society are by no means unique. Part of the process includes creating an atmosphere of isolation from society and a policy of non-involvement in the running of many of the institutions that are a part of normal society. Many books have been written about cults and the way that those belonging to them are controlled and manipulated. Of course those under such control are always offended at the notion that they are involved with a cult.

Steve Hassan, an ex-Moonie has written a number of books exposing the cult mind- control methods. He has devised a set of guidelines that any religion can be measured against to decide whether or not a particular sect can be deemed a cult.

He divides the process of mind control into four basic categories. (1) Behaviour Control (2) Information Control (3) Thought Control (4) Emotional Control. Some of the methods used are briefly summarised below.

(1) Behaviour Control includes, among many things, dictating to the members how they dress and groom themselves. How much time is spent on recreation and how much time is committed to receiving indoctrination. They are expected to ask permission before making major decisions. Information is distorted to make it acceptable to them and rigid rules are laid down. Individualism is discouraged and obedience is demanded.

(2) Information Control includes discouraging the reading of non-cult literature and information that is critical towards the group. Keeping members too busy to have time to think clearly about what they are doing and insisting they have nothing to do with ex-members. Past sins are used to pressure and control members. The leaders decide how much information the group needs and expect members to report other’s misdemeanours.

(3) Thought Control includes the group accepting the stated beliefs as “truth.” They are trained to see themselves in a good-versus-evil situation where every issue is simply black or white. Key words are adopted and used as “buzz words.” No criticism of the leaders or their doctrine is permitted and all alternative religious groups are seen as bad.

(4) Emotional Control includes using any guilt they may feel about their thoughts, feelings, family or their past. Any problems individuals may be experiencing are to be seen as the fault of the one who has the problems. Fear is built up in the minds of the members by warning them of the dangers of the “outside” world and the enemies that surround them. Fear of losing the approval of the other members is a key factor in pressuring the members to continue. The members are indoctrinated to fear questioning the leaders or being made to leave the group as they are told they will have no future if they are outside the safety of the group. There is no legitimate reason for leaving and those that do must be shunned. Without the protection of the group they could be exposed to possession by demons.

As you can see from the length of the last paragraph, fear is a prominent factor in keeping members of cults in line. As stated, these guidelines were not written with Jehovah’s Witnesses specifically in mind. These guidelines can be applied to any sect to determine whether or not that sect or religion is a cult.

Taken from the newly released book 'Opening the Door to Jehovah's Witnesses ' by Trevor Willis Available from' Amazon.co.uk (books) ISBN 0954018206

• Sirona
    Sirona

Thanks for this information.

My JW parent does not like it when I point out that the Moonies also believe the bible, and that they also think they're right, so why are they a 'cult' and the JWs not?

Sirona

** http://www.religioustolerance.org **

• searchfothetruth
    searchfothetruth

Your fighting a loosing battle to try and talk with your parents, I know.
    I gave my mother some questions that I wanted her to find the answer to on the blood issue.
    She phoned me up last wednesday and said she had an Elder coming over to discuss the questions but because they were my questions she thought it would be better if I was there aswell.
    When I got there, there were 2 elders that I didn't know and my parents had there coats on ready to go out!
    Needless to say the elders couldn't answer any of my questions and even lied outright about the change in policy until I showed him the relevant artcles, and from then on kept questioning me on were I got the information instead of answering it.

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

Nice summary, Trevor.

Yes jw's are a cult, especially since there is no honorable way to leave it. You are usually labeled something for leaving, "weak", "apostate", df'd, da'd.

just my 2 cents

j2bf

• butalbee
    butalbee

Are Jehovah's Witnesses a Cult?

Yes.

• Bang
    Bang

Are the Kennedys gunshy?

• TheEye
    TheEye

butalbee,

Ditto.

TheEye

• 4christ
    4christ

YES!

• larc
    larc

Trevor,

It is good to see you back with us. I really like your thoughtful contributions and your wise advice to others. Your input has always be "spot on" as they say in the UK.

I definitely want to order your book.

• dedalus
    dedalus

I find the question about cults and Witnesses pretty reductive, since it glosses over all of the idiosyncrasies that make being a Witness so unique and strange and different from what we connotatively think of when we think of "cults." I think we can agree that the Organization is often cruel and totalitarian in its tactics, but many loyal Witnesses are aware of this on some level and successfully live their lives "around" the Watchtower policies and doctrines.

When one is a member of a group such as Jehovah’s Witnesses, it is not possible to be aware of the degree to which personal freedoms that are normally taken for granted are lost.
    This may be true for many individuals, especially old timers, but I'd argue that nowadays, most Witnesses are aware of the personal freedoms their religion has deprived them of, and have taken those personal freedoms back, without ever thinking of leaving the Organization. There's probably a bigger gulf now between what the Organization teaches and what Witnesses actually do than there ever was before. That is a distinctly "un-cult" development.

Does the Organization still exhibit "cultic" behavior? Sure! Is it a cult? I don't think it matters, especially if you're trying to say something new and real about the Witness experience. It's more of a semantic question than anything else, and putting a label on a thing robs it of that which makes it most interesting, good or bad.

Dedalus

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit