7 graphs that prove America is overrated

by Simon 152 Replies latest social current

• Simon
    Simon

Yeah, in the UK alcohol is king - it probably didn't make the chart because it's legal. But overuse shouldn't be.

• BluePill2
    BluePill2

One personal question to Simon. How is the present situation in Canada in regards to new immigrants? Any chances for Europeans to move/work there? I have lots of family that immigrated decades ago to Canada (and they seem to like it as none has come back to Europe, not the older ones or their children).

One thing that I don't understand is how some countries are better than others in assimilation. I noticed that Puerto Ricans or Mexicans that live in the US for a couple of months, suddenly started wearing flags and talking english to their spanish speaking parents. You don't see that in Europe. I know Turks that lived for 30 years in Germany and even after that only spoke a dozen words and gladly moved back to their home country.

Even if Life conditions are better in Germany than in Turkey. Humans are strange sometimes.

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

America and T.V...who controls t.v in America ? ......Well Frank Price ex head of Universal told me in the 70s he realized the entire western market of Gunsmoke and Rawhide ect was hitting the wrong button. These shows were made for men yet the women had the dial and switched the channel and chose the programme so the scripts of westerns on the 70s changed to give episodes of Rawhide and Gunsmoke a romantic interest that women liked...my point is as citicens we should have done our research ..our entertainment industry is not interested in quality nor are those in government interested in the minority..Still in America the minority can rock and voice and opinion if they arnt at the bottom of the pile...ugggg

• ?evrything
    ?evrything

'murica

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

ok in my English opinion, America is the entertainment industry and the entertainment industry has a wide impact...it is violent, fearless superior and dominating....but i think wen should acknowledge the brilliance and be grateful for those sho have with insight corrected its wrongs..

Martha Lutha King

Mark Twain....the list is endless and despite any iils in American society the small voice can still be heard... In trailor parks or anywhere, even on the internet.....

America is like a blockbuster movie, it entertains us but at the samevtimrfor many in the audience, we realize we can never be apart of the American dream so we are exacerbated in our pain....as is true for All Countries i think?

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

Simon's post is valid because the United States promotes its exceptionalism and has for decades. In fact, we have used our alleged exceptionalism to justify our interventional foreign policy. ...spredin' democracy.

If a person or country makes the claim that they/it are the best, then it is fair to call them/it on it with contrary documentation.

And for the record, there is a LOT of immigration occuring in the world, not just the U.S.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_foreign-born_population_in_2005

• frogonmytoe
    frogonmytoe

For press freedom, democracy and standards of living, the Scandinavian countries, the Netherlands, Canada and Australia and New Zealand always come out top, above the self-proclaimed democracies of the UK, France, Greece, the US.

I don't think this is USA-bashing, but when many Americans say (I've heard all nationalities do it to be fair) that the US is the greatest country on earth, the rest of us feel a little more than justified in pointing out that sometimes it simply isn't...

But I'm a Brit, so will always be first to run my country down. Unless you talk about London 2012. Which is old news now.

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

Scandinavian countries...a big middle, few at the top and few at the bottom. Now geography and exsteme climate..id rather be at the bottom in Sweden Stockholm than at the top in the exsteme cold regions of Sweden...

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

Americans are normally so forthright about standing up for values and justice etc... but suddenly all roll over

All of us? Really? Avoiding such overgeneralizations could go a long way in your criticisms not being construed as 'hate' or America-bashing.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze
    If a person or country makes the claim that they/it are the best, then it is fair to call them/it on it with contrary documentation

Kind of like we do with the WT on a regular basis.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit