7 graphs that prove America is overrated

by Simon 152 Replies latest social current

• Simon
    Simon

Oh, and yes - I'm sure every country is 'top' at some bad statistic but they need to be taken as a whole. Society is people with a myriad complex interactions, not single statistics.

Plus, I don't think the statistics quoted are all 'equal'. I would gladly trade 'software piracy' or 'happiness index' for 'infant mortality' and 'child abuse deaths'. Some things matter more than others.

GDP is not a good measure of how well people are doing - I'm sure oil-rich arab countries being oppressed have lots of money floating around ... just in the hands of a tiny few while the rest suffer oppression.

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

So Simon graphs shown on this thread can be fabricated? I learnt that from the W.T.

isnt it great just to debate and not trust statistics that support an extablished order?

The great thing i have learnt is the internet makes us all one country, that we can all be individual and not powerless. That we have a voice ...

Jgnat as we grow older our youthful masculinity and femininity fades. So i think any land that still maintains the dignity of aging is helping people who be it 60, 70 or 80 are fighting the indignity of physical frustration...but at some stage death is a pleasent relief from aging.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I've lost a grandmother and a stepmother to breast cancer, and a close friend squeaked through. I've already resolved that if a lump ever appeared, my breasts are gone. They've had a good long run and often they are simply a hindrance. I am more than my sexuality.

I look forward to old age. I adored my grandparents, and I view the roadmap of wrinkles as evidence of a life well-lived. I've enjoyed working for a local native band, which preserves their honoring of elders in their constitution.

I like statistics. There's something solid about them that can be trusted beyond ideology. I am very unhappy with our Canadian conservative government, which is eliminating statistics collection on some key areas, and making program decisions based on ideology rather than fact. So we have the ridiculous situation where more prisons are being built (ideology), while crime rates drop (statistics), resulting in budget cuts in personnel.

Statistics are best when they tell their own story, not supporting one ideology or another. I like the UN's Human Development Index, which is measuring key factors of a country's well-being. You would not be surprised at all at the low scorers.

I love the presentations of Hans Rosling, a passionate statistician, and his site, www.gapminder.org. Mr. Rosling makes a compelling case that reducing infant mortality and increasing the health, wealth and security of a nation will result in a corresponding drop in family size. This is true no matter what the stated beliefs of the nation. The US has an embarrassing rate of teen pregnancy. The solution? Improve conditions for the poorest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbkSRLYSojo

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

yes jgnat i get your point..but when our entertainment industry protrays masculinity and femininity as people with a physical appearance that is beautiful and then says dont take life to seriously, you cat be like that...i think the majority would have no identity with the videos you present...the image of a valuue of a humun is exotic and acrobatic and triumphant. I think

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

sorry iam back....i think the image created by our entertainment industry is profoundly unhmun...i think loving and compassionate people are portrayed as weak and our entertainment industry is muchbigger and more successful than the W.T it controlls and cheapens the majority...and its so powerful it controlls statistics ..so true statistics cant be qualified. I really believe this..that frustration and dreams not fullfilled turn the world in to a commercial.When we age many that bought in to the dream like leaving the W.T must find a new reality....

• wasblind
    wasblind

I've lost a grandmother and a stepmother to breast cancer, and a close friend squeaked through. I've already resolved that if a lump ever appeared, my breasts are gone. They've had a good long run and often they are simply a hindrance. I am more than my sexuality.____jnat

After the scare I had last year, I have made that same decision

BTTT

• jgnat
    jgnat

Well, why should I accept the entertainment industry's assessment of value? I'm no Kardashian, and proud of it.

Good statisticians will publish their confidence rates. There are ways to evaluate good information from bad.

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

jgnat thats my point..we accept the damage our entertainment industry does to because we see it as entertainment, .and i think this industry has a worldwide impact of creating how we " see ourselfes"...thats why re your earlier post so few can appreciate a day in the country...people cant relax we only feal real men and women if we doing things like competing with each other..why? to own this or that and then even more of the latest this and that.

Its brilliant how our entertainment industry is such an egotistic marketing machine that people dont even think about how damaging it is..its responsible for so many ills in our society...and i am sure a poster like Farkel can reply with what i say is crap...but i think the entertainment industry caters for the youth and the impressionable first and like the W.T its not a good long term investment.

I refuse to believe i am influenced by big business and feal inadequate because of The super heroes i watch on T.V but cant emulate. The truth is i buy coke and eat my big mac and wish i was as tough and moral as my western heroes. ..Am i alone?

• jgnat
    jgnat

Well, if people make the change, the media will follow. I won't base my self-worth on external forces. Neither will my daughter and granddaughter. There is a trend towards this. Look at the Dove ads.

• still thinking
    still thinking

Canada had slightly more corruption (8.7 compared to 8.2)

How did they ever measure that? Did they fill out some sort of questionaire themselves...lol

Actually, I think in NZ they did...I read somthing about that recently. They got to declare how much corruption was happening in our country...LMAO! as if any govenment would fess up to corruption on their part.

jgnat...that Jane Fonda video is excellent. Well worth a watch.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit