For Those who believe the Bible is truly the word of God

by sosoconfused 53 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• sosoconfused
    sosoconfused

What exactly is the reason?

I am not an athiest or agnostic... I definately believe in God. However I would honestly like to hear others explain to me why they believe the bible is truly the word of God.

Also, what about other religious books, do you likewise feel they are inspired by God, and if not why?

• humbled
    humbled

Well, soso.

Is the bible the only writing that is inspired by God? There were other writings around.

The Catholic church claims that their churchmen were in line from Peter to make the selection.

Problem.

But I believe there is God and I believe that the wonderful teaching of Jesus reflects God. And the fact that other teachers from other faith traditions have similar teachings only makes me happy. God draws us everywhere in the same direction.

How to use the bible yourself if you don't have religious rulers to define doctrine and theology? You will have to as Jesus how that works. I cannot see how he delegated a hieracrchy, a governing body.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A good read for me the other day is the story of Franz Jagerstatter. A man whose reliance on what he understood of Jesus was not backed by his church. The Nazis didn't like him either.

Way to make the truth your own. google search him. It helped me.

• Ding
    Ding

Jesus himself vouched for the OT.

He also said that the Holy Spirit would guide his disciples into all truth, reminding them of his teachings.

Do you want to get into specific books?

• cofty
    cofty
    Jesus himself vouched for the OT

In other words the bible says the bible is true. That settles it then.

• Vanderhoven7
  • cofty
    cofty

5x 40 minute videos - I don't have time. What do you find to be convincing Vanderhoven?

• sosoconfused
    sosoconfused

@cofty - this is my point. it seems like the same circular reasoning of the WTBTS.

The bible says that the bible is from God so therefore the bible is from god.

The audacity to suppose that God for some reason only chose these few people on the planet to carry his truth while ignoreing the other 95% for years just seems terrible.

If you can look at other books that have the same thoughts and reasonings and just suppose that they are false but the bible isn't seems so ridiculous at times

• cofty
    cofty

pg

• iCeltic
    iCeltic

I agree with cofty, the bible mentioning something in it that says its from god isn't a strong argument. Or any argument at all.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7
    Cofty:
    Certainly a large topic Cofty....which takes time to explore. “The Bible as History: A confirmation of the Book of Books” by Werner Keller is work that might be helpful for those really interested in seeing historical and archeological support for the Bible.
    I'll deal with one of the internal evidences covered quite extensively by Josh McDowell in “Evidence that Demand a Verdict”; that of fulfilled prophecy. Again for times sake it might be wise to restrict that to prophecy fulfilled by Christ....and then restrict that again to fulfillment of one Old Testament passage.

Now, right from Pipers' notes:

The Nature of the Argument Endorsed by Jesus

John 13:18-19

“I am not speaking of you all; I know whom I have chosen; it is that the scripture may be fulfilled, `He who ate my bread has lifted his heel against me.’ I tell you this now, before it takes place, that when it does take place you may believe that I am he.”

John 14:29

“And now I have told you before it takes place, so that when it does take place, you may believe.”

Jesus Directs Us to Consider Fulfilled Prophecy of His Suffering

Luke 24:45-47

Then he opened their minds to understand the scriptures, and said to them, “Thus it is written, that the Christ should suffer and on the third day rise from the dead, and that repentance and forgiveness of sins should be preached in his name to all nations, beginning from Jerusalem.”

Peter Taught That Christ Enabled OT Prophets to See the Future

1 Peter 1:10-11

The prophets who prophesied of the grace that was to be yours searched and inquired about this salvation; they inquired what person or time was indicated by the Spirit of Christ within them when predicting the sufferings of Christ and the subsequent glory.

The Case of Isaiah 53

Isaiah 53:1

Who has believed what we have heard? And to whom has the arm of the Lord been revealed?

Romans 10:16
    But they have not all obeyed the gospel; for Isaiah says, “Lord, who has believed what he has heard from us?”
    John 12:37-38
    Though he had done so many signs before them, yet they did not believe in him; it was that the word spoken by the prophet Isaiah might be fulfilled: “Lord, who has believed our report, and to whom has the arm of the Lord been revealed?”

Isaiah 53:2-3

For he grew up before him like a young plant, and like a root out of dry ground; he had no form or comeliness that we should look at him, and no beauty that we should desire him. He was despised and rejected by men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief; and as one from whom men hide their faces he was despised, and we esteemed him not.

Mark 9:12
    And he said to them, “Elijah does come first to restore all things; and how is it written of the Son of man, that he should suffer many things and be treated with contempt?”

Isaiah 53:4

Surely he has borne our griefs and carried our sorrows; yet we esteemed him stricken, smitten by God, and afflicted. (see Isaiah 53:10 )

Acts 2:23
    This Jesus, delivered up according to the definite plan and foreknowledge of God, you crucified and killed by the hands of lawless men.
    Acts 4:27-28
    Truly in this city there were gathered together against thy holy servant Jesus, whom thou didst anoint, both Herod and Pontius Pilate, with the Gentiles and the peoples of Israel, to do whatever thy hand and thy plan had predestined to take place.

Isaiah 53:5

But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities; upon him was the chastisement that made us whole, and with his stripes we are healed.

Matthew 8:16-17
    That evening they brought to him many who were possessed with demons; and he cast out the spirits with a word, and healed all who were sick. This was to fulfill what was spoken by the prophet Isaiah, “He took our infirmities and bore our diseases.”
    1 Peter 2:24
    He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, that we might die to sin and live to righteousness. By his wounds you have been healed.
    Romans 4:25
    Who was put to death for our trespasses and raised for our justification.
    Matthew 26:67
    Then they spat in his face, and struck him; and some slapped him.
    Matthew 27:26
    Then he released for them Barabbas, and having scourged Jesus, delivered him to be crucified.

Isaiah 53:6-7

All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the Lord has laid on him the iniquity of us all. He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth; like a lamb that is led to the slaughter, and like a sheep that before its shearers is dumb, so he opened not his mouth.

Matthew 26:62
    And the high priest stood up and said, “Have you no answer to make? What is it that these men testify against you?”
    Matthew 27:12-14
    But when he was accused by the chief priests and elders, he made no answer. Then Pilate said to him, “Do you not hear how many things they testify against you?” But he gave him no answer, not even to a single charge; so that the governor wondered greatly.
    1 Corinthians 5:7
    Cleanse out the old leaven that you may be a new lump, as you really are unleavened. For Christ, our paschal lamb, has been sacrificed.
    John 1:29
    The next day he saw Jesus coming toward him, and said, “Behold, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world!”

Isaiah 53:8

By oppression and judgment he was taken away; and as for his generation, who considered that he was cut off out of the land of the living, stricken for the transgression of my people?

Acts 8:32-33
    Now the passage of the scripture which he was reading was this: “As a sheep led to the slaughter or a lamb before its shearer is dumb, so he opens not his mouth. In his humiliation justice was denied him. Who can describe his generation? For his life is taken up from the earth.”
    1 Corinthians 15:3
    For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received, that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the scriptures.

Isaiah 53:9

And they made his grave with the wicked and with a rich man in his death, although he had done no violence, and there was no deceit in his mouth.

Luke 23:33
    And when they came to the place which is called The Skull, there they crucified him, and the criminals, one on the right and one on the left.
    1 Peter 2:22
    He committed no sin; no guile was found on his lips.
    1 John 3:5
    You know that he appeared to take away sins, and in him there is no sin.
    Matthew 27:57-59
    When it was evening, there came a rich man from Arimathea, named Joseph, who also was a disciple of Jesus. He went to Pilate and asked for the body of Jesus. Then Pilate ordered it to be given to him. And Joseph took the body, and wrapped it in a clean linen shroud,

Isaiah 53:10-11

Yet it was the will of the Lord to bruise him; he has put him to grief; when he makes himself an offering for sin, he shall see his offspring, he shall prolong his days; the will of the Lord shall prosper in his hand; he shall see the fruit of the travail of his soul and be satisfied; by his knowledge shall the righteous one, my servant, make many to be accounted righteous; and he shall bear their iniquities.

1 John 2:1
    My little children, I am writing this to you so that you may not sin; but if any one does sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous.
    Acts 13:38-39
    Let it be known to you therefore, brethren, that through this man forgiveness of sins is proclaimed to you, and by him every one that believes is freed from everything from which you could not be freed by the law of Moses.

Isaiah 53:12

Therefore I will divide him a portion with the great, and he shall divide the spoil with the strong; because he poured out his soul to death, and was numbered with the transgressors; yet he bore the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors.

Hebrews 9:28
    So Christ, having been offered once to bear the sins of many, will appear a second time, not to deal with sin but to save those who are eagerly waiting for him.
    Luke 23:34
    And Jesus said, “Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.” And they cast lots to divide his garments.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit