Slowly Awakening at the DC 2013

by breakfast of champions 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

So after the district convention was over, I asked my wife what her overall impression was. She said, "Maybe something has changed, or maybe it's your influence that I see things differently now, but a lot of those talks sounded more threatening than anything. Not loving, not really hopeful, just threatening." I said that it probably was my influence that you were listening with a critical ear, but yes - much of it was quite threatening.

Again, I'd just like to thank the governing body for their excellent program! I probably wouldn't be able to help my wife awaken to TTATT without you guys. So much great material - keep it coming!

• matt2414
    matt2414

breakfast of champions, I haven't been to the DC, nor do I plan to attend, but was wondering, In what way did the program sound more threatening? Was it "Be obedient or you'll be disfellowshipped," "Follow the rules or God will punish you" or was it something else? I'm just wondering how the Watchtower leaders are now "lording it over" the laity these days.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    breakfast of champions - "...much of it was quite threatening."

'Course it was.

'Cause they're feeling threatened.

matt2412 - "Was it 'be obedient or you'll be disfellowshipped', 'follow the rules or God will punish you' or was it something else?"

Direct threats just get people's back up, so it wouldn't have been anything that overt/explicit (they save that for elders-only events, from what I hear); more of an underlying tone.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

MATT2414 - I don't think it was particularly more "threatening" than any previous DC, but is just the usual "do more this, stop doing that, do more more more because, well, you never know! You don't want to end up like a burnt hot dog at Armageddon". Basically same old same old, but I think it just seemed more threatening to my wife because she is slowly seeing it for what it is.

VIDIOT - yup!

• Designer Stubble
    Designer Stubble

Great news - keep us posted. Ask her if she can remember a part on "the fruitage of the spirit" or whether there was an article on "the compassion and fellow feeling of Jesus and how to develop such Christlike qualities". This was paramount for me - I still keep track of the literature and it still is void of such articles

• ?evrything
    ?evrything

Its always been threatening to me.

• sosoconfused
    sosoconfused

Congrats bro... sounds eerily similar to my wife once she really started to accept that things are not what they seem.

Sounds like a major turning point.

First the get angry

Then they get silent

Next they ask Questions

Followed with realization

Lastly... they are ready to go.

Once again let's hope for the best

• BU2B
    BU2B

Boy oh Boy, I hope my wife gets the same vibe from them..

SHe has a tendency to cherry pick all of the points she liked while tunining out what conflicts with her favourable impression of the program/publications.

She already sees a lack of love, and how teachings change at the drop of a hat.. Hopefully she will pick up on the overall tone.

I am happy for you DOC, hopefully this is the first step to freedom for her.

The Journey of a thousand miles starts with one step- BU2B

• FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack

So what kind of questions/points could I make on the way over to get her in the right frame of mind, more receptive to post convention discussions? She forced me to go to an English speaking convention this year (probably in an attempt to save me) but I want to try to use it to my advantage. Only attending Saturday and Sunday.

• Splash
    Splash

My wifes response was a bit different.

One talk was stressing how we need to keep up to date with all of the new teachings, otherwise we "would be teaching falsehoods" (speakers actual words).

I asked her what were we therefore preaching before the new teachings?

After a moments thought and a suspicious look she replied, "mistakes".

Splash.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit