Arguments in favor of the destruction of Jerusalem in 607 BCE

by TJ Curioso 87 Replies latest watchtower bible

• BroMac
    BroMac

Jeffro, Those are good comments for the 40yrs desolation of Egypt. Is it not more likely that Ezekiel could just be wrong on this? Not easy for a believer to accept though....

• Jeffro
    Jeffro
    Jeffro, Those are good comments for the 40yrs desolation of Egypt. Is it not more likely that Ezekiel could just be wrong on this?

It's entirely possible that some of the details given by Ezekiel are just plain wrong. Though that isn't necessarily the case... with a 'but'...

The modern version of the book is almost certainly the result of extensive editing after the original, to which various details were added or changed later to give the appearance of 'prophecy'. This is evidenced by the fact that the Greek Septuagint version of the book (2nd century BCE), which most likely represents an earlier version (earlier than 'ours', but later than the original that probably does date back to the sixth century BCE in some form), contains less detail than later Hebrew versions that resemble 'our' version. There was therefore plenty of time to amend the accounts.

So whilst Ezekiel (the person, if he actually existed) almost certainly didn't really 'prophesy', the content of Ezekiel (the book) may indeed include details of events that actually happened - with a great deal of political and theological spin - after the original writing, but prior to the book in its completed form.

If the details in Ezekiel are correct (regardless of whether they are actually 'prophetic'), the explanation I've provided for the 'forty years' is nothing more than a plausible 'best fit'. The interpretation I've suggested neither contains nor requires anything 'magical'.

• Larsinger58
    Larsinger58

The timeline was revised and they took 26 years from the Neo-Babyhlonian kings. Nothing is wrong. When Nebuchadnezzar II defeated Amasis he fled to Greece and remained there for 40 years. Then he returned when Babylon needed him to fight with them against the Medes and Persians.

But believe whatever you wish.

• mP
    mP

Lars

Okay, Red, this is how this works. You are showing by this many references how unreliable Josephus can be. I know. My position is that you have to take each reference individually and compare them to the Bible. So what I would expect you to do is to compare Ant. 11.1.1 with what the Bible says:

mP:

The writings of Josephus used to be part of the bible . If those holy spirit inspired peoples got that wrong, then we cant trust the bible they gave us.

• mP
    mP

Lars when are you going to address the missing million skeletons at barnea kadesh ???

• BroMac
    BroMac

Jeffro

Thank you for sharing what you know. Greatly appreciated.

• Larsinger58
    Larsinger58

mP: Lars when are you going to address the missing million skeletons at barnea kadesh ???

I think I already did. If there is any "inconsistency" in what one would expect under normal circumstances in that region, then you would automatically consider potential "artificial" circumstances. That is, all the graves in the temporary cemetery may have been dug up in this case, leaving no trace of the Israelites ever having been there. Maybe God out of his anger removed every trace of their existence. Maybe they were buried elsewhere? Maybe in the sea?

The lack of bodies doesn't prove they were not there.

Akhenaten's sudden focus on monotheism and building a new altar city to "Aten" confirms the 10 plagues though. Plus later nations, like the Assyrians and Babylonians more than confirm the existence of the Israelites in the context the Bible presents them in Palestine. So why look for pockets of history that have no evidence when you have many others that coincide with Bible history? I look at the entire historical picture. where there is a critical lack of evidence, I give the Bible historians the benefit of the doubt.

Anyway, God has arranged it so that for those who don't want to believe, he makes sure they have enough rope to hang themselves.

God blinds the minds of the unbelievers. That means he will make sure you have more evidence than before to fool you into thinking the Bible isn't true.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro
    Lars when are you going to address the missing million skeletons at barnea kadesh ???

Take it to another thread. Lars' drivel is bad enough when it's loosely relevant.

Maybe God out of his anger removed every trace of their existence.

So... 'God did a magic thing'.

Seriously, just stop.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit