Arguments in favor of the destruction of Jerusalem in 607 BCE

by TJ Curioso 87 Replies latest watchtower bible

• sd-7
    sd-7

I've read C.O. Jonsson's book, though that was probably a few years ago. Pretty technical stuff, but it was clear that the foundation on which 607 was resting was nonexistent just looking at the idea of 'Bible chronology' alone.

Just read much of Jeffro's website about this issue. Brilliantly executed. A very comprehensive rebuttal to that jehovahsjudgment website. Which, as a website is a massive paradox in its very existence, as it composes a JW response to material that JWs are supposed to be forbidden from reading in the first place.

--sd-7

• Larsinger58
    Larsinger58

REDVIT2000:

How anybody can use Josephus as basis for any of type of chronological scholarship is beyond me.

his writings and especially Antinquities is riddled with inconsistencies and errors. The man clearly didn't have a grasp on time and dates. Using Josephus to support anything biblical is especially bad since nothing of what he says actually agrees with the bible.

For example:

1. Antiquities 1.3.4 says, "For indeed Seth was born when Adam was in his two hundred and thirtieth year,…" Genesis 5:3 says, " And Adam lived an hundred and thirty years, and begat a son in his own likeness, after his image; and called his name Seth: "

LARS:

Okay, Red, this is how this works. You are showing by this many references how unreliable Josephus can be. I know. My position is that you have to take each reference individually and compare them to the Bible. So what I would expect you to do is to compare Ant. 11.1.1 with what the Bible says:

Ant. 11.1.1. IN the first year of the reign of Cyrus (1) which was the seventieth from the day that our people were removed out of their own land into Babylon, God commiserated the captivity and calamity of these poor people, according as he had foretold to them by Jeremiah the prophet, before the destruction of the city, that after they had served Nebuchadnezzar and his posterity, and after they had undergone that servitude seventy years, he would restore them again to the land of their fathers, and they should build their temple, and enjoy their ancient prosperity.

Is this specific reference contradictory to the Bible, or another error or inconsistency? Here, Josephus is claming those who were removed off the land, that is, at the time of the last deportation in year 23 of Nebuchadnezzar II, served for 70 years and were released after the 70 years in the 1st of Cyrus. Now does the Bible agree with that? Or not? Is this another false or contadicting statement among so many? Now 100% of Josephus' history isn't wrong. Maybe 30% is? So, does this all into those references that agree with the Bible or not?

You bring up all these other references to show unreliability of Josephus generally, but would that apply to the 70 years? That's the question.

PLUS, Josephus was redacted. I have two versions of Josephus with different details. For instance, most quote him as noting that Jerusalem fell in year 18 of Nebuchadnezzar, five years before the last deportation. But another version says year 19, which is consistent with the Bible. Josephus in Antiquities claims that Evil-Merodach ruled for 18 years. Buty in Against Apion, only 2 years. But there's the question of redaction. Did someone else change that? Or did Josephus himself state that, trying not to contradict the popular revised timeline.

Now let me tell you something. I've been researching for the last 20 years! I have researched in university libraries all over. I'm in a position to recover the original timeline. But I'm also aware of those who are involved with aggressively suppressing the original timeline. So it is not as if "nobody noticed" there was a conspiracy by the Persians to manipulate the timeline. It's a matter of selective ignorance. The reason why the correction of the timeline bogs down is because it will cause such a HUGE academic mess. Let me just share one aspect of this. Let's say in today's world, nobody really cares one way or the other. Fine. But as soon as you correct the Persian timeline, you will inadvertently correct the Classical Greek timeline. You will discover that Plato sold-out to the Persians along with Xenophon, following in the footsteps of Themistocles, whom they admired. That is, they went for the money! The Persians had plenty of it. So just like the focus shifts from the actual scandal to the COVER-UP, that's what will happen here. The year Jerusalem actually falls will fade into obscurity when the Classical Greek philosophers are shown to be opportunists. You can't remove 82 years of fake Persian history without removing 56 years of fake Greek history. So suddenly, all the Classical Greek curriculae from all the universities around the world will have to re-write all that history. So the main fall-out will not occur in the "Biblical Studies" departments of these universities, but in the Classical Greek history departments who will suddenly be faced with linking Plato and his students along with Xenophon with masterminding this part of history. Now the choice is to just suppress and postpone this, or be honest. Honesty has never been a critical talking point in the academic world, which is more concerned with propaganda than knowledge.

So it is not that no one noticed any of this, this is just something that's "too big to fail"! I mean, the academic world is about jobs and tenure and lies and propaganda. So why bother correcting the timeline? The academic world will cop-out or trade-off for whatever is expedient anyway. There was one point where the Pope had a choice to go along with the original chronology or with Ptolemy's canon which used revised astronomical texts; the Pope decided to go with Ptolemy's false timeline. The "cover-up", thus, as I noted, will be more newsy than any concern over when Jerusalem actually fell.

So really, the only people who really need the timeline corrected are the elect, so that the Bible's chronology and prophecies can amaze us! And we have that! We have corrected the timeline and we're happy! If the world needs to maintain the ancient status quo, then great. All this stuff about me being "crazy" and a "lunatic" and all that, is just an effort to have to shut the fk up! It's not about whether I have the truth or not. It's about not rocking the boat. I can deal with that. Plus, you know, I have what I need from secular sources to confirm the Bible. I'm happy. Am I now interested in forcing the dishonest academic world to come clean? Hmmmm, no really.

Anyway, thanks for your input on trying to discredit Josephus, but it's a moot point. In this case, you need to comment on the specific reference at Ant. 11.1.1. So why don't you? What do you think? It's a direct paraphrase!

You compare Ant. 11.1.1 with 2 Chronicles 36:

"20 Furthermore, he carried off those remaining from the sword captive to Babylon, and they came to be servants to him and his sons until the royalty of Persia began to reign; 21 to fulfill Jehovah’s word by the mouth of Jeremiah, until the land had paid off its sabbaths. All the days of lying desolated it kept sabbath, to fulfill seventy years."

Ant. 11.1.1. IN the first year of the reign of Cyrus (1) which was the seventieth from the day that our people were removed out of their own land into Babylon, God commiserated the captivity and calamity of these poor people, according as he had foretold to them by Jeremiah the prophet, before the destruction of the city, that after they had served Nebuchadnezzar and his posterity, and after they had undergone that servitude seventy years, he would restore them again to the land of their fathers, and they should build their temple, and enjoy their ancient prosperity.

Carl Jonsson doesn't deal with this. Ann O'Maly won't touch it. Jeffro ignores it. The WTS suppresses it. It's too HOT!

• Larsinger58
    Larsinger58

SD07:

I've read C.O. Jonsson's book, though that was probably a few years ago. Pretty technical stuff, but it was clear that the foundation on which 607 was resting was nonexistent just looking at the idea of 'Bible chronology' alone.

Just read much of Jeffro's website about this issue. Brilliantly executed. A very comprehensive rebuttal to that jehovahsjudgment website. Which, as a website is a massive paradox in its very existence, as it composes a JW response to material that JWs are supposed to be forbidden from reading in the first place.

--sd-7

LARS:

You're impressed, are you? Well guess what? They are not debating what the Bible really says! They are just tyring to suggest that 587 BCE and the reduced Neo-Babylonian timeline is reliable and well supported by secular records.

What they are AVOIDING is a direct confrontation between the Bible and secular! That's the REAL argument and discussion, but one that is being avoided. What we should be discussing is whether or not the Jews' understanding that the 70 years of Jeremiah were fulfilled by those deported in year 23 of Nebuchadnezzar II! When those last people were removed from the land, per Josephus, that's when the 70 years of desolation of Jerusalem began. Now that directly contradicts the NB timeline by 26 years. That is, the timeline by Josephus and the bible is 26 years longer for the Neo-Babylonian Period than the current show. So why are we not debating why Josephus and the Jews wanted to excpand their timeline. OR, why did the Persians reduce the timeline?

Of course, as soon as you start to investigate, you note immediately that the Babylonian records were "copied" by the Persians, meaning, obviously, revised. So it's a done deal. At his point, if you don't academically recognize a conspiracy of revision, you're simply incompetent or dishonest.

But THINK ABOUT ME!! Here I am, an XJW, a believer in the Bible full throttle. I start to do this research into the chronology. I early on realize the Bible dates the 1st of Cyrus to 455 BCE. I keep tredgining and studying and digging. Eventually, I realize it is not tha tdifficult to recover the true timeline, historically, astronomically, in every way. Now this should be of interest to anyone who wants to believe the Bible is true! In the meantime, you automatically know that anybody who wants to label me as "crazy" or a "lunatic" knows I have the truth and needs to try to suppress me. That's the only reason not to go through this. Why are we discussing 607 BCE vs 587 BCE? We should be discussing 455 BCE as the 1st of Cyrus versus 538 BCE!!! That's the REAL issue!

So I'm bewildered! There are just as many phony, dishonest people in these discussion boards as there are at the WTS! They are both on the same page trying to avoid dating the 1st of Cyrus to 455 BCE as does Martin Anstey! And for good reason. That reason being, a look into whether or not the Persians revised their history will yield the original timeline! That's what they don't want.

But at this point, I really don't care. I have everything I need to establish the rality and could care the fk less if anybody gets it right, especially out there who don't want to get it right. The VAT4946 and the SK400 are in my back pocket, and there is nothing anyone can do about it at this point. They want to maintain their darkness and their lies -- fine. That won't affect me and the light I give to my elect.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I think the reason many people still believe in 607 CE is because they take what the Bible says seriously. The best way to get JWs to see sense is to show them that the Bible contradicts itself. The Bible itself is open to various interpretations, including the JW one.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Any fun vacation plans for this Summer?

Well, Jamaica now looks attractive.

• Londo111
    Londo111

Slimboyfat,

On this topic at least, those who teach 607 are not taking what the Bible says seriously.

The 607 teaching is based on faulty premises.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I think it's based on a certain interpretation of verses in Daniel, Chronicles and Jeremiah in particular. I believe Rolf Furuli has done a lot of work on the Biblical side of it.

• Londo111
    Londo111

It is based on an interpretation, but it is not a viable one.

A few faulty premises:

* The 70 years end when the Exiles return to Jerusalem.

* The 70 years are centered on Judah and Jerusalem.

* The 70 years and Exile start when Jerusalem is destroyed.

* 70 years = the length of the Exile

* The Exiles return in 537 BC.

What the Bible says:

* The 70 years end when Babylon is punished (539 BC). Jeremiah 25:12.

* The 70 years are the time when the nations serve Babylon. Jeremiah 25:11.

* Therefore, the 70 years would start with an event where Babylon would begin to dominate the region. The fall of Assyria in 609 BC fits nicely. If the 70 years are merely an rounded approximation, then the Battle of Carchemish in 605 BC was when Babylon began to dominate the nations around Judah.

* Jeremiah does not mention the length of the Exile. Not all the Jews were Exiled at once, not all returned at once when Babylon fell. The Exile began in 597 BC, with the deportation of king Jeconiah. See Jeremiah letter to the Exiles in Chapter 29. See Matthew 1:11,12. Ezekiel who was deported at this time also references the Exile from this year.

* Ezra 1:1 to 3:1 seems to indicated 538 BC as to when the Jews returned. Even if in 3:1, the year is unclear, a 537 BC is merely conjecture and cannot be proven Scripturally.

Zechariah is a useful book…if one does the math, one can approximately compute Jerusalem’s final siege that led to it’s destruction. 607 BC is way off.

###

Everything is based on Barbour’s faulty theology. As pointed out, 607 BC was originally 606 BC. At that time, the return of the Exiles was thought to be 536 BC. In the 1940’s, to preserve the 1914 teaching, they adjusted 536 BC to 537 BC, accounted for there being no zero year, and thus 607 BC was born.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

I believe Rolf Furuli has done a lot of work on the Biblical side of it.

He's also worked over the cuneiform texts side of it.

(I know what you're doing, slim.)

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Well I'm glad one of us does. Maly, I need some sleep!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit