"Mentally Diseased" comment makes news

by freemindfade 36 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Giordano
    Giordano

I prefer Driving Force's positions and points.

The Society goes out of it's way to use hate speech when describing JW's who disagree with the official WT claims.

........ gangrenous "empty speeches." Gangrenous....really?

"Their twisted, poisonous reasoning can cause spiritual harm and can contaminate your faith like rapidly spreading gangrene."

Again with the gangrene? Back at you WT!

" Like their father, Satan........."

In the religious context this is hate speech by the official authorities of the WTBTS.

There really is no neutral position Ruby when you step away from the Organization.

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

giordano

There really is no neutral position Ruby when you step away from the Organization.

wouldn't you expect the police and the law to be neutral?

but for those who leave the organisation there are leavetakers and then there are apostates according to G. Bromley in this book - The politics of Religious Apostasy. If as the book suggest apostates take an oppositional stance towards the religion they have left wouldn't you expect the religion to warn its members to avoid them in strong language. If, as some apostates are suggesting, jehovahs witnesses are inciting to violence where are the examples of actual violence apart from the supposed violence apostates have constructed for themselves in their own narratives? For example the quotes you cite - what is the context? what does the whole para say?

The current controversy surrounding new religions has brought to the forefront the role of apostates. These individuals leave highly controversial movements and assume roles in other organizations as public opponents against their former movements. This volume examines the motivations of the apostates, how they are recruited and play out their roles, the kinds of narratives they construct to discredit their previous groups, and the impact of apostasy on the outcome of conflicts between movements and society.
  • Ruby456
    Ruby456

gentledawn

That is incomplete information. Seriously, can you at least cite the name of the study or article that you're allegedly cherry-picking your info?

I'm not cherry picking - the link between mental illness and new religious movements was a shock for me. But then again 1 in four people will experience mental illness according to the Mental health foundation so I'll admit that this a controversial arena.

But if you want some research into religion and mental health issues that isn't just saying religion is bad for you (imo the sources you linked to btw lol) this book by Scott Atran (2004) takes a very enlightening look at the link between mental illness, apostasy and new religious movements (p164 to be more specific) In Gods we Trust: The Evolutionary landscape of Religion

• Driving Force
    Driving Force

Ruby

leave the organisation there are leavetakers and then there are apostates

If a child of 5 or 6 is coerced into getting baptized and then realizes when they are 15 or 16 that this is not something they want to do and realized TTATT they will be ostracized by their own family on the orders of the GB.

Anybody who leaves by being disfellowshiped or disassociating themselves are all treated the same.

The difference with apostates is that they want some kind of justice.
    Leaving because you no longer believe certain doctrines is one thing, but leaving after realizing that the GB have lied, cheated and use undue influence and very clever mind control techniques to keep you in and still have a hold on friends and family is something else.

• Driving Force
    Driving Force

Ruby

I think that anybody who continues to find excuses and defends the bOrg as you do should be clearly "Marked" to use a term that your bOrg uses.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Hi Brother Angus "cantleave" Robinson!

I loved your post!

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

What was also said by the Policeman was that if one of us was called "mentally diseased" to our faces that would be an offence and should be reported but calling us mentally diseased in a magazine, no.

However, the term "mentally diseased" has been removed from their latest Silver Sword Bible so I like to think perhaps we had a hand in the term being changed.

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

driving force

oh please mark me by all means and then let all the Katie Hopkins' have their say - lets have a spree of pots calling kettles black

• Driving Force
    Driving Force

Ruby

Great idea let's do that.

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

thank you Amelia - i like your post.

generally having a mental illness and telling the elders to stop harassing on that basis usually works

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit