"Mentally Diseased" comment makes news

by freemindfade 36 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/985479

I know it's old but I never saw this one before.

• Awake at last
    Awake at last

Good article.

Rick Fenton can say whatever he likes. The actual attitude is in print, sorry Rick!!

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

"Rick Fenton, a church spokesman, backed up the organization's practices to The Telegraph: "Any one of Jehovah's Witnesses is free to express their feelings and to ask questions," he said. "If a person changes their mind about Bible-based teachings they once held dear, we recognize their right to leave."

Yes, yet another damn lie by the Bitchtower.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus
    He didnt lie. He was 100% factual. They do recomize your right leave. People can and do leave all the time. What he didnt say was that was when you leave you will be iewed as mentally diseased and shunned. But you have the right to leave
  • _Morpheus
    _Morpheus
    Oh and the loaded language... If they change their mind about bible based teaching they once held dear.... I didnt change my f**** mind YOU ALL DID!!!! YOU change teachings all the time! I domt get to change my mind about them at all.
  • defender of truth
    defender of truth

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/8791196/Police-inquiry-over-Jehovahs-Witness-magazine-mentally-diseased-article.html

The church is known for handing down harsh punishments to followers who criticise doctrines or raise questions about the faith.

Angus Robertson, a former Witness "elder" from an undisclosed town in Hampshire, who was present at the meeting with police, told The Independent: "The way scripture is being used to bully people must be challenged.
    “If a religion was preaching that blacks or gays were mentally diseased there would understandable outrage."

But Rick Fenton, a church spokesman, defended the passages, saying ostracisation was "a personal matter for each individual to decide for himself".

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

Looking at the issue with the cool light of rationality and from a neutral perspective, honestly this passage from the Watchtower does not violate any laws in the UK. it really really doesn't for one big reason - Watchtower is simply warning its followers to avoid rather than to incite.

Another thing is that if the investigators checked with sociololgists and psychologists they would find that new religious movements and cults do attract lots of people who do have mental illnesses and that those who have a mental illness do not remain within these organisations for very long and when they do leave they very often leave in anger and rage. So for a new religious movement to tell its followers have nothing to do with apostates as they are mentally ill/mentally diseased they cannot be held responsible for inciting hatred if it is the case that there is mental illness involved. Plus if the whole thrust of the article is saying stay away from them, do not engage them they are simply saying what the police or anyone else in authority would say - take responsibility to avoid rather than confront, keep safe.

then again if apostates are the ones inciting hatred of Jehovahs it would only be right for Jehovahs witnesses to warn its followers to avoid them - it would be the rational and indeed law abiding thing to

so really this is a non starter imo.

• sowhatnow
    sowhatnow
    maybe the saying view others as the view you can catch on, lol
  • Gentledawn
    Gentledawn
    if the investigators checked with sociologists and psychologists they would find that new religious movements and cults do attract lots of people who do have mental illnesses

Source?

So for a new religious movement to tell its followers have nothing to do with apostates as they are mentally ill/mentally diseased they cannot be held responsible for inciting hatred if it is the case that there is mental illness involved.

"new religious movements" sporting largely high school educated priests (elders, COs) can now diagnose diseases?

What you've done throughout your entire reply is use straw-man arguments, which is a type of logical fallacy.

The Watchtower (aka JW [dot] bOrg) ---and other religions like it-- simply want the people on the inside to stay isolated and ignorant. It has nothing to do with former members being the problem. Watchtower treats former members the same way an abusive spouse treats their victims: they (watchtower) never do anything wrong. It's always the victim(s) who are at fault for everything.

Of course the watchtower isn't using deceptive tactics. After all, it's impossible for them to lie, because they are Jehovah.

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

gentedawn

Hunsberger and Brown 1984, atran 2004

other than the above, you don't need to convince me as I know what you are saying already, but what does the law and the police require of religion? for example where is there any incitefulness to hatred in the watchtower extract when what it is saying is to avoid - and avoid false teachers and apostates at that?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit