Unbelievable Experience in Yearbook

by gingerbread 45 Replies latest jw friends

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

The most truthful thing to do would be to put a notation (online) beside the experience, and then at the end of the publication reprint, an addendum, place a recognistion that the story was found to be fabricated.

• Sammy Jenkis
    Sammy Jenkis

Holy shit! Are you serious? A fake experience, never!!!! hahah

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

You reckon they have fact-checkers?!

Absolutely!

Yearbook 2011 pp. 9-13 Highlights of the Past Year

The Writing Department follows the pattern of ‘tracing all things with accuracy.’ ...

... Even reputable sources may contain false information. So how do we check for quality, accuracy, and reliability? ...

... Sometimes even minor statements require additional research to confirm their accuracy. For instance, a brother may say in his life story that he was born in Czechoslovakia in 1915. But Czechoslovakia did not come into existence until 1918. So, where was he born? Settling the question might require examining old maps or historical records.

Then, too, a brother may state in his experience that he was baptized in San Francisco on a specific date. Careful scrutiny, however, might reveal that there was no convention or assembly on that date in that city. How can such a discrepancy be reconciled? Individual memories can at times be fragile. While the brother would probably not get confused about the place of his baptism, he might not accurately recall the date of the event. It is usually possible to confirm the accuracy of details by cross-checking various sources of information.

In summary, the Writing Department insists on using only material that is accurate and truthful, even regarding seemingly insignificant details. As a result, “the faithful and discreet slave” can consistently supply spiritual food that brings honor to “the God of truth,” Jehovah.—Ps. 31:5.

• gingerbread
    gingerbread

Thank you AnnOMaly ! I was 'fact checking' for this reference just yesterday - I remember reading it and wanted to post it here.

It's FACTS like these that helps the curious or timid fader to reconsider what he has believed to be 'truth.'

• iCeltic
    iCeltic

I can remember being on the assembly platform giving an 'experience'....even though I didn't have an experience to give, they wanted me since I was a fire breathing newbie. Same with a mate of mine on the same day. Just all bollocks really.

• gma-tired2
    gma-tired2

Mynfavorite part of assemblies were not accurate. This actually saddened me. Another bubble busted.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit