Unbelievable Experience in Yearbook

by gingerbread 45 Replies latest jw friends

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I wonder if we on JWN could invent a crazy story, urban legend and the ones still attending the meetings could spread it.

Would it make the YB?

How far would it go?

Would the GB snooper spies see it here and warn against it or block it?

.....oooooh, and it makes me wonder.........and she's buying a stairwayyyyyyyyyyy to heavennnnnnn!

• not bitter
    not bitter

Aged 12 I was asked to give my experience at a Barry circuit assembly (Barry, South Wales) which I did.

I was 'coached' in what to say and gave the wonderful experience of how I placed the Creation book with my religious studies teacher and told how she took it home with her and the very next day she came back in and thanked me for it as it had made her think things differently and she would very much like to discuss things further with me.

What really happened was I was sat in her RE lesson with the book open. I wasn't reading it because it was boring and was too busy staring out of the window. She asked me what I was reading, I showed her and she said 'Oh'

That was it. But I was encouraged to lie about the whole thing

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

not bitter - Same happened to me by way of exaggerating an experience. By the time the CO had finished with my explanation it was a totally different story.

The WBT$ is a cult creating delusion through lies.

• not bitter
    not bitter

Despite my experience of being told to lie you'd think I'd have cottoned on but no. I stll believed all those dodgy stories in the year book

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

They have a way of making them seem so amazing and often tear jerking.

................and yet I NEVER actually knew anyone that these things had happened to...................apart from the congregation eccentrics that I knew made it up anyway.

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

One time i was on a flight over Zimbabwe and i went to the bathroom. As i leaned over to flush the toilet, a tract fell out of my shirt pocket and was flushed out of the plane.

Amazingly it landed in the middle of an african village where it was picked up and put on display in the middle of the village square as a gift from God. News of the tract went viral and scores of people came to learn about it. Millions of book studies were started and we are happy to annouce that that a branch will be opened soon in that country.

Speaker: Thank you brother X. Aren't we happy that Jehovah provides in such amazing ways?

Clap! Clap! Clap!

• therevealer
    therevealer

NeonMadman - i hope you are kidding. There is much that they have changed or left out of the library both online and on the dvd's. There are simply too many for all to be fixed or deleted.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

Bethel " fact-checkers".

Now that's an oxymoron if I've ever heard one.

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

Always remember that when the curtain rises and the lights come on that everything you see on stage is a performance, crafted to wow and entertain you.

Watchtower Jehovah's Witnesses still sell miracle wheat

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

NeonMadman - i hope you are kidding. There is much that they have changed or left out of the library both online and on the dvd's. There are simply too many for all to be fixed or deleted.

No, I'm not kidding. I'm not saying that I approve of what they do, or that I don't think they embellish convention experiences and experiences reported in the publications. I have no doubt that they do, and I think it's reprehensible. However, I was talking about the question of reproducing the text of print publications into digital form via the WT Library whether online or on disc. In that case, I think that the appropriate thing for them to do is to reproduce the text exactly as it appeared in the print publication, without regard to whether the information was later proven to be false, as in the case stated by the OP. If the print publication said such and such, then that's what should be in the WT Library, whether or not it is true. As far as I know, they have done this pretty consistently, with only one exception that I am aware of, namely the notorious 1989 WT magazine that said the preaching work would end in "our 20th century," which was changed to "our day" in the printed bound volume. The bound volume text was then faithfully reproduced in the digital WT Library. You say that there is much that they have changed or left out, but that is the only case I'm aware of, and even in that case, the material appears in digital form exactly as it appeared in the bound volume (though not in the original magazine). The change was made between the two print versions of the same article, not in producing the WT Library. If there have been other cases that I don't know about, I'd have to ask you to provide specifics.

Really, this almost becomes a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation for the WTS. Condsider the case in the OP: an experience is published in the print Yearbook that is later shown to be false. Do they publish the same text accurately in the digital Library even though the story is untrue, or do they alter it to expunge the false information? If they do the former, you criticize that they are perpetuating the falsehood. But if they do the latter, they will undoubtedly be criticized for altering the text of the publication to make themselves look better. Which should they do? Given the stated purpose of the WT Library, to serve as a archive of the print publications for reference, I believe that they should maintain the text exactly as it was published, regardless of later developments with regard to the source of the information.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit