Why do JWs stay despite doubts & discoveries about JW Beliefs?

by ProfCNJ 27 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

2) Friends & social connections/well-being

Can end when you realize that they are now avoiding you or looking at you suspiciously because you don't attend enough meetings, turn in enough time, or spout the party line--When my family and so-called friends shunned me for not measuring up to their personal ideas (though still viewed in good standing), it made it easy to leave

5) Fear of destruction in Armageddon - this one affected me for awhile; until I realized that their God was not with these people

6) Discomfort in moving to another religion/sect--when I realized I did not need to join a group to worship God

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

7) Mind control.

• XBEHERE
    XBEHERE

A. below 40 years old

B. 40 years old and above

1) Concern about Family's Reaction (closely tied to number 7 below, not really my kids as much as wife and my immediate family) - % 50

2) Friends & social connections/well-being %2

(and the fear of losing them all because of shunning) - % 0

3) Love of Jehovah God and His Son - % 3

4) Love of the worlwide brotherhood - % 0

5) Fear of destruction in Armageddon - % 0

6) Discomfort in moving to another religion/sect - % 4

7) Others Fear of losing my wife to divorce since despite being a JW I feel that we truly love each other and are compatible- % 41

Total 100%

• jhine
    jhine

can I tack a question onto this thread . ?

While sitting in on study with a friend of mine the JW's used the public study book about judgement and told my friend and I that during the 1000 yr reign all people will be given a chance to repent and gain everlasting life (on paradise Earth ) I wondered why then do they do their darndest to get people to be Witnesses if according to what they were saying it doesn't really matter ?

Is this not what they really teach in the KHs ? What is the official line on Armageddon and judgement ? I suspect something very different from the fluffy bunny stuff spouted that day .

CAn someone give me actual names of books where the proper teaching is , please . I would like to call them out on this if I can quote from their own literature to show their deception .

Ta very much

• blondie
    blondie

all people who are resurrected after Armageddon

all people before Armageddon have to be jws to live through Armageddon (7.5 Billion non-jws will die eternally and only 7.5 Million jws will live through that time)

• designs
    designs

Why does anyone 'stay religious' in light of modern science.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    Why does anyone 'stay religious' in light of modern science.

My bet is 'delusion'. After all religion offers the 'hope' of not truly going out of existance. It's a false hope but some will believe it rather than face the ultimate truth that death really is the end.

In my humble opinion at least!

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

I would say that with my wife it's about 68% fear of losing family, 2% losing friends, and 30% she just wants there to be a "new system" as she was taught. She sure as hell doesn't want to go to heaven.

All in all, it's 100% emotional blackmail.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Interesting that all the reasons listed are simply emotional ones, which is why we are often reminded on here not to debate doctrine with JW's.

O.K it is a piece of piss to blow all their unique doctrines out of the water, but they simply do not care, they are so used to doctrine change that even if you plainly show them something is wrong, they think Big J will holler down from heaven to the eight Demi-gods of the GB and it will be fixed eventually.

We can only help them on the emotional level, allay their fears, then show them a better way of life.

• Londo111
    Londo111

It is classic cognitive dissonance theory.

Behavior, thoughts, and emotions must align—otherwise it is a discomfort. Even if they see things in the doctrine or practices that are wrong, it’s only temporary, their thoughts will align to match their behavior.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit