My Story - a (kinda) newbie from the UK

by wizzstick 50 Replies latest jw friends

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

wizzstick!

Sympathies with your situation. It's tough when you're stuck, surrounded by your nearest and dearest who can't see what you see. 'No-man's land' is right. I was a teen in the early '80s too. Remember the hype about the UN's Year of Peace? Tapping into the Cold War tensions and fears about impeding nuclear conflict? I was quite apathetic about the 1995 'generation' change ... until my dh pointed out what a big deal it was (he was astonished by it). Still it didn't shake me awake. A build-up of other concerns eventually did, however.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

7.5 yrs lurking is quite some time, lol. I graduated high school in '89... and I remember the whole time being told repeatedly that it's very doubtful I'd graduate high school. 'What if armeggedon came tomorrow... or this weekend?' was very common speech. I wonder if publishers nowadays realize / remember that.

Not only do I remember that..............I remember that same old rhetoric from 1969. Today we'd call it a "cut & paste". In fact, today we DO call it a "cut & paste" since that seems to be the case with every new issue of the WT!

Welcome, WIZZ!

Doc

• donny
    donny

Welcome wizzstick. I too joined in 2005 but I "only" lurked for 3 years. I look forward to more of your observations.

• Heartofaboy
    Heartofaboy

Hi wizz.......looking forward to heariing more from you

Hoab

• nugget
    nugget

Welcome from another south of England compatriot.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Welcome....

Is it possible we know each other?

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Welcome wizzstick. I am also in the UK, Cambridgeshire.

I wonder if we ever met?

Probably not........I wonder who we know in common. Maybe no one

• cofty
    cofty

Welcome Wizzstick from the North East.

That was the exact same thing that destroyed my trust in the organisation. If they had been honest about it I might have stayed longer.

We had a couple from our congregation move to bethel in the 80s.David and Leonnie Allan. I think they worked at the Wembley factory.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Welcome, from across the pond.

Skeeter

• StAnn
    StAnn

Welcome, Wizzstick! I too am a born-in but from the USA. I'm interested in hearing more of your story.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit