Can U Answer a Really Hard ? from any JW?

by Mindchild 24 Replies latest jw friends

• Mindchild
    Mindchild

I was thinking today that many of us ex-dubs are fairly capable of holding our own when conversing with an active Witness about anything JW related. If we don’t have an immediate answer, it isn’t difficult to find a ex-JW website that has a lot of good information we could use for finding an answer fairly quickly. Having said this though, I think there are some questions that a JW could ask you that might be a lot tougher to answer, websites or not. Thus, I wanted to ask you a question about the very toughest question you have ever been asked by a JW (relative to the topic of the dubs believing they are correct in their worldview).

For example here are two questions that were asked of me once, could you answer these questions comprehensively?

1. If you don’t believe in Satan and his demons, why is there so much bloodshed, pain and misery in the world today in spite of the attempts of men to stop it from happening?
    2. If you don’t believe that God will destroy the wicked at Armageddon what is going to save the world from destroying itself?

Do you have any you lost sleep over?

Skipper

• Xander
    Xander

#1 is easy to answer...survival of the fittest. As long as their is some competition for some resource, living things will fight or compete over it. It's how evolution works.

#2 is easy to...again, survival of the fittest. Yeah, war sucks, and yeah, revolutions happens and governments topple. But, who could argue the world today is not a better place to live in than it was 1000 years ago? We grow from our pain, and humanity does to.

Xander F
    (Unseen Apostate Directorate of North America - Ohio order)

A fanatic is one who, upon losing sight of his goals, redoubles his efforts.
    --George Santayana

• VioletAnai
    VioletAnai

I neva question nutting..........I'm a good lil conformist!

It was a joke! And you fell for it like the fascists you are! - Rick - The Young Ones

• Mindchild
    Mindchild

Hey Xander, thanks for making some comments. Actually I did quite a bit of research on the questions I raised but I was really fishing for more tough questions. You see, you don't gain too much by always staying in the shallow area of the swiming pool, and you need to get deeper sometimes.

Take for example your answers to the questions. While sociobiology might have some relevance to answering the questions I posed, a simple answer like you posed doesn't work well for either question. It is not difficult to find exceptions to fighting or aggressive competition for resources and the survival of the fittest fits even worse with the second question.

When you look very carefully at some questions, you will see that there are literally hundreds of books wrote about the answers, many expousing different theories. A theory may have some validity and also some flaws but seldom does a single theory provide any kind of comprehensive answer that I asked for when it comes to human social relations and problems.

Anyway, again does anyone have any JW related questions that they had a hell of a time answering or couldn't answer yet?

Skipper

• Beck_Melbourne
    Beck_Melbourne

Hi Mindchild

2 really good questions...but NO JW would ask me them...because they're not allowed to talk to me But if they felt like being rebellious and wanted to ask me...then here goes:

1. If you don’t believe in Satan and his demons, why is there so much bloodshed, pain and misery in the world today in spite of the attempts of men to stop it from happening?
    Equilibrium. There is pain, misery and heartache etc...but there is also joy, happiness and rejoicing etc. The identity of the source of both good vrs evil is not necessarily Jehovah vrs Satan.

2. If you don’t believe that God will destroy the wicked at Armageddon what is going to save the world from destroying itself?
    Science.

Beck

• ChiChiMama
    ChiChiMama

Mindchild,
    It is really hard to reason with people who think in a bubble or box but I would deal with these questions with questions of my own.

Why is there so much blood shed in the animal kingdom?
    Is it because of Satan or because of nature?

Do animals sin?
    If not then why won't they have everlasting life?
    What makes us so special?

What makes you think that blood shed,pain,& misery have any thing to do with a wicked spirit being?
    If you say the Bible then whatproof do you have that it is inspired by God?
    How do you know that what we see going on in the world is not just nature in action?

Why do you believe that destruction would be the ultimate destiny of the earth without God's intervention?
    What proof do you have?

I don't know if these questions would help but they are hanging out there anyway.

ChiChi

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Xander,

#2 is easy to...again, survival of the fittest. Yeah, war sucks, and yeah, revolutions happens and governments topple. But, who could argue the world today is not a better place to live in than it was 1000 years ago? We grow from our pain, and humanity does to.

I think I would argue with this one myself, especially as future life is implicit in Mindchild’s question.

I would argue that humans are enjoying a much better life-style generally than they were a thousand years ago, but only at the cost of incurring a less attractive and very, very dangerous world for non-humans to live in, so an answer to this question cannot divorce itself from tomorrow’s life, which by all evidence is not going to be a ‘better life’.

Given that we rely on the earth and that it does not rely on us., perhaps Mindchild’s question is not quite as easy to answer as we might think. We cannot have any life, let alone a ‘better life’ without a healthy planet to live upon.

Part of my work forces me to delve heavily into environmental issues and I am afraid I have no news of a better world tomorrow to offer anyone - only bleak realities of a wrecked planet. Those who think that ‘today’s environmental world is open for business have not seen the shades coming down.

The planet will take care of itself, but most certainly at the sacrifice of our ‘better lives’.

Best regards - HS

• rhett
    rhett

1. Because people are slightly advanced animals. We're not perfect and people make mistakes. Some people just need to learn how to deal with those imperfections a little better. Another big reason is people always trying to force their small and petty version of god on other people who have their own small and petty version of god.
    2. Who says the world's going to be saved? Who says it needs to be?

• Satanus
    Satanus

Partial answer: A lot of it stems from the insecuriries and fears of individuals and groups. They attempt to overcompensate or get others before they are gotten by others. Shortages naturally motivate efforts at aquiring needs, one way or another.

Maybe nothing will stop destruction. Then again humans may succeed in preserving the earth. It's up to us.

Sorry, it's too late to think of other questions.

SS

• Xander
    Xander

Mindchild, got the point of your post, unfortunately, I think the thread has been hijacked as a result of my comments (Incidently, I have done reading on the topic as well, and I'd still argue when you get down to the very base motivation, it's still just basic survival instinct).

But, the question you asked is if JWs have ever thrown tough questions our way....

Honestly, I can't think of any. At least, none I'd justify with an answer. IE., I'm sure a JW would ask "Well, if Jesus DIDN'T come to Earth in 1914, how do you explain how the perception of the state of the world since has shown us to be in the 'end times'" and questions along those lines.

I mean, what do you say to that? No matter what answer you give, THEIR perception of the world is fulfilling their prophecies, so what do you do? I honestly think that is the biggest hurdle - when they question you about their self-fulfilling prophecies...

"If this isn't the end times, how do you explain the preaching work of JWs going on 'throughout all the inhabited Earth', as it was predicted it would be..."

"If we aren't the true religion, how do you explain the GB being inspired by god?" (I'm like )

Xander F
    (Unseen Apostate Directorate of North America - Ohio order)

A fanatic is one who, upon losing sight of his goals, redoubles his efforts.
    --George Santayana

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit