New on here

by Tony Stark 35 Replies latest jw experiences

• problemaddict 2
    problemaddict 2

Welcome TS.

I'm not that old.....but I'm older than you. Being free of mind at 24.....is a dream. Continue to research and above all, be honest with yourself. This is a good place because it isn't about who you disagree with or don't disagree with, its about your personal journey and the ability to feel and think differently than everyone else, and still communicate and interact.

I had a conversation with a former JW friend who was essentially a born again Christian after she left, and I myself am agnostic at best. We discussed the flood, some other things, and we clearly disagreed. But it was just a conversation. I commented on how refreshing it was to be able to disagree....AND be friends.

How amazing to think you can't even have an open honest discussion with people you care about.

Learn how to live life, be honest with yourself, and if you must be reinstated for the sake of family, plan your exit congruently.

• Deltawave
    Deltawave
    Welcome mate, I'm new too. Join the forum. On sunday after that dire Watchtower study :-)
  • mrquik
    mrquik
    Welcome Tony. Being 63 I've got you beat by a few years. Good to see you got out early. Wish I hadn't wasted a half a century in the cult. Similar story; MS, elder, served on stage crew at assemblies & on plumbing crew for various projects. Grew up in Rochester & now live in the Fingerlakes region. Feel free to PM me as well. Any other Upstate members out there?
  • confuzzlediam
    confuzzlediam

Welcome to the group Tony!! I have been df'd for 5 years. Not my choosing at the time (long story). I tried to go back several times to get reinstated, but could never go long enough to even turn in a letter. I tried to go back because my now x was still in and his family would not include me in any of their family activities. SO I would go for 2-3 months at a time and would start to get anxiety ridden at the thought of having to meet with the elders. I stopped believing and was only going back for my x's family. My anxiety built because I could not bare to sit in front of elders who wrongfully disfellowshipped me and tell them that I loved Jah and wanted to come back to the org. I knew in my heart that I would have to lie and could not bring myself to do it.

It was difficult adjusting to life outside of the org. I found a GREAT group of friends who helped in the transition. I filed for divorce almost a year ago and have narrowed my social group down even further, since we were pretty close with my x's family and friends.

I started classes at our local community college last fall and am loving every minute of it. Well, except for this week, cuz I am cramming for finals that are due next week!! But I am meeting new people and have even formed new friendships through school.

As far as going back to meetings to get reinstated, you need to do what is best for you. Personally, I am glad that I never went back long enough to get reinstated. I am free to live life as I want now and it is awesome!! Good luck to you!! Hope to see more from you in the future!

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Welcome, Tony.

Hopefully, we'll be seeing Pepper and Happy before too long, too.

• cognisonance
    cognisonance
    Hi Tony, I also lost my friends and family about the same time ago and am in my early 30s. It's rough, but the good news is that you will find more friends and have have better experiences in life outside the cult.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit