GAME OF THRONES (Season 3)

by SophieG 33 Replies latest social entertainment

• SophieG
    SophieG

When I read Sunday's major scene in book 3 "A Storm of Swords" (trying not to spoil it for those who have not seen it) I was completely aghast. Shocked! Disturbed! I could not believe what I was reading! And it was way more graphic and gut-wrenching. I was in tears and threw the blasted book across the room and did not pick it up again for days.

That was when I realised what George Martin was trying to tell the readers: DO NOT GET ATTACHED TO ANY CHARACTER in the books. You would think that after Eddard Stark was beheaded we would have seen it coming.

I was reading on HuffPo the reactions of people who have not read the books and are so disgusted by what they saw that they don't want to watch GOT after this. Some people get so attached to the good characters and always want "happy endings" for them. What they fail to understand is that Westeros is a place with no rules. It's all about either winning or dying. Frankly when I read the story Robb/Catelyn made some serious mistakes and while what happened is shocking in retroscpect he kind of had it coming.

I think HBO did a great job bringing that scene to life...adding total utter silence to allow what happened to sink in.

To fuel my "crack addiction" I will be re-reading Books3/4 over the summer!

Can't wait for the finale, some good stuff is coming. Lots more "twisties" (LOTR throwback)!

Now off topic: The Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon is another one I would love to see tackled on mini screen. If you have not read them they are awesome...just get through the constant sex part between the main characters (good lord... they act like rabbits! HA) and it's a fascinating worthwhile read!

• Simon
    Simon

I shouted at the TV and then cried. I'm still in shocked disbelief and feel bad for getting my friend hooked on it - she was angry when they lopped Ned Starks head off in Season 1 !

It's actually refreshing in a way that *any* character isn't invincible and can be killed however big their character (or actor) happens to be - not like most series at all.

As soon as Season 3 is finished I'm reading the books to tide me over until season 4 ...

• SophieG
    SophieG

Simon you were in good company!
    This is priceless!

*WARNING!!! DO NOT WATCH IF YOU HAVE NOT SEEN SEASON 3 EPI 9*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=78juOpTM3tE

• Simon
    Simon

Those are the cruel "we read the book" brigade to know to film other people's reaction while it was on!

• Scully
    Scully

Simon wrote:

I shouted at the TV and then cried .

Awww... I always knew you were a softie....

dough boy

• tec
    tec

I cheated. I haven't read all the books - and I don't want to read them until after each season because they do change some details, and I enjoy the show more when I am not expecting certain things - but i wanted to know if my suspicions about Jon Snow were right or not. So I was googling my suspicion. I thought the last book was already written, but I could not find the answer to my question about Jon when I googled it. Then I looked up the book on the author's forum, realized my question has not been answerd yet because the books are not all written yet... then i read all the summaries of the books so far, regarding what happens to main characters. (not everything; just the highlighted points). I did that last week, before this last episdoe, so I knew what was coming. Hubbie didn't though

Peace,

tammy

• Simon
    Simon

I fill up just describing the Futurama episiode where Fry's dog waits for him ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5peiLlHdvo

• tec
    tec

That is a horrible terrible episode. It is SO sad. That should not be allowed in a comedy cartoon!

Peace,

tammy

• SophieG
    SophieG

tec...I think I may know what suspicions you have about Jon Snow....is he Ned's son?

If we are on the same path...do not ruin it for yourself...wait it out. There is this gigantic and fascinating backstory that goes back to thousands of years before the events that we are now seeing.

Simon: AWWW...I feel your pain too!

• tec
    tec

Sophie, yes. We're on the same path ; )

I can't find the answer anyway, lol. I tried.

Peace,

tammy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit