Indoctrinated Christians...

by new hope and happiness 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

I was thinking that most indoctrinated Christians i know seem never to ever question their faith. No matter how sound the reasoning for another belief.In fact the stronger the argument destroying the Christians beliefs the more proof positive the Indoctrinated christian becomes of its evil origins. SATAN, ALERT and the built in defence system against reason or logic takes effect.

The above is just my personal observation . But i have noticed my Christian friends who do not go to church regularly rarely bible bash and tend to believe in God and not the Devil whilst indoctinated Christians seem to believe in the Devil but not God, or at least sin rather than forgiveness.

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

Sorry to bumb, but no replys in 36 hours!

• jgnat
    jgnat

It's OK to bump. Bumb too. Deep thoughts there. I've been following the Facebook comments of an "indoctrinated Christian" friend as you call it, and I can tell she's going through a rough patch. She can't actually say that of course, as James instructs us to "count it all joy". Here's some samples from this dear woman this week:

"In the nick of time", what does that mean? God comes and rescues you when you have exhausted everything else? I beg to differ." In His time", is more like it. Which leads me to believe that he is leading and is in control, I think I will go with that!

I lift up my eyes to the hills, from whence does my help come from, my help commeth from The Lord who made heaven and earth. Well that clinches it, it's from the dude that created EVERYTHING, so stop worrying.

God always comes through in the end.

As for me and mine, we are involved 110%. Give it all you got, you owe him that much at the very least.

Perfection is overrated. Trying is what counts. Try your best and your best is perfect.

• humbled
    humbled

newhah, You are touching on a difficult topic. At least it is for me.

As a cradle Catholic I learned the Apostles Creed along with all the other indoctrination of catechism. Even though I got into a lot of loose living in my early twenties never doubted the teachings I was raised with.

By the time I was thirty I had had a genuine revelation of a Supernatural Goodness. (I called it God then and I must also say that my reference point was Jesus.) At the time I lived so remotely and without any phone or electicity that my experience took place without church or the influence of other people. There were no religious "agencies" to lay claim to my soul.

But I went to church as soon as I was able--certain that God expected me to sign up again.

Now--thirty years later and 22 of them spent as a JW, I doubt that Jesus ever wanted me to squander my simple and clean experience of contact with the Good in Organized religion of any sort.

Which leaves us wondering--who WAS Jesus, really. How free are we really to seek that answer outside of the formulas we have absorbed as through osmosis in the world that surrounds these matters? And don't we find ourselves afraid that other Christians--even UNorthodox ones-- will find our questions toooo extreme?

There are threads that ask for historical reference for Jesus' existence. So there is that. I know he lived.

Why though must I trust the theology that followed after him? I truly love his core teachings. I truly despise the quibbling about the theology. Jesus, as I understood him, rescued me. And it took me a long time to climb out of the indoctrination and become desperate enough if not brave enough to trust that he will lead me without believing the creeds of anyone else.

Maeve

• *lost*
    *lost*

just seen it.

I think it's a personal matter of 'faith' believing so much, which in itself is not the problem, it's when things lose balance the problems arise, I think.

I was never indoctrinated, but I have always believed God has existed, don't ask me why or how,

I simply do not know, nor can I explain it, I don't understand it. But I do like that I have met other people in the world whereby it's

ok to discuss these things.

Just had a great chat with a lady I only ever vaguely knew. We had a great chat about all these things, and spirituality and different faiths.

Religion got hijacked and became toxic, I think.

Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely.

• tec
    tec

Religion got hijacked and became toxic, I think.

That is because religion is from man... but I like this saying of yours.

I do think it is more that faith got hijacked, and became religion. Like what Paul said, "You were running a good race. Who cut in on you to keep you from obeying/following the Truth?"

People who followed Christ were meant to worship in spirit and in truth (faith); but now we have people worshipping in religion and in sight, once again... and some just as much a slave to laws before Christ came to set people FREE. (such as in the wts)

I was thinking that most indoctrinated Christians i know seem never to ever question their faith. No matter how sound the reasoning for another belief.In fact the stronger the argument destroying the Christians beliefs the more proof positive the Indoctrinated christian

becomes of its evil origins. SATAN, ALERT and the built in defence system against reason or logic takes effect.

If you are taught fear... then it is pretty scary to question anything. If you are taught that you are going to hell unless you believe in this, and do this, and follow these rules, etc... then you're not as likely to feel safe enough to question anything.

Peace,

tammy

• Fernando
    Fernando

@new hope and happiness

Your observation seems spot on to me. The less we yield to religion, the more it seems we are free to follow the "unabridged gospel" of freedom, peace and grace.

As Tammy said: "faith got hijacked, and became religion".

(Why does the "true religion" secretly blind its followers to the "Good News" according to Paul, Moses, Isaiah and Psalms?)

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

Great replys,

Which all seem to be saying why isnt the ' exact and literal word of God' not clearer and more understandable and not so open to anyone and everyones assumptions and interpretations?

Yes Christian answer me that, and then maybe just maybe, ' so called Christians' could find it in themselfs not to be at each others throats not to mention the religiouse persecution you impose on others.

P.S. i admire the gentle voices of any Christians on this forum, even if i dont share your faith.

• Heaven
    Heaven

new hope, just fyi, it takes some of us a while to respond as we are unable to be on the board regularly. For me, my job can be quite hectic and same goes for my personal life. So thanks for bumping this.

I was thinking that most indoctrinated Christians i know seem never to ever question their faith.

When faith fits, there is no need to question it. It can be like a comfy blanket. I think a lot of people mould themselves to make faith fit. My parents did that. It resulted in damaging our family. I think there are a lot of Christians who have never stepped outside their faith to take a look at other faiths (eg would be Judaism, Islam, Buddhism, Wicca/Neo-Paganism, etc.). Remaining ignorant or ill-informed is how hatred can take hold and destruction can occur. Also, the Chrisitans I know do not have education on Scientific information, as well as other disciplines, since they were in high school. So they take what their religious leaders teach as truth. There are many who believe the Bible is literally true and the inerrant word of God. They are ill-informed of the history of the Bible, it's authors, and how it came to be. There is a group-think mentality and most find this comforting and secure.

When speaking to as well as reading what Christians 'believe', it is clear to me that 'faith', and the belief in a superior, male, spirit-being is a construct of the human imagination because everyone has a different definition of what God is and of their faith. So this says to me that 'God' is internal and a personal ideal and nothing more.

• Fernando
    Fernando

Religion, by design, takes away, or prevents spiritual sight (faith).

Victims are unable to walk by spirit, and are reduced to walking by flesh, sight and the letter (materialism). The resulting ills are everything bad we read about religions such as the Watchtower.

For victims "God's word" is the letters, words and sentences in the Bible. Victims are deliberately prevented from discerning the living word Jesus. Victims are also prevented from discerning the word or message known as the "unabridged gospel".

This is why, sadly, most "Christians" resemble the Pharisees more than they resemble Jesus:

http://www.barna.org/faith-spirituality/619-are-christians-more-like-jesus-or-more-like-the-pharisees

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit