Subtle wording in today's study article (3/15/13 WT)

by leaving_quietly 40 Replies latest watchtower bible

• NeverKnew
    NeverKnew

BU2B: The text refers to Jesus for us non-jws. Differentiation using context clues is standard operating procedure.

Kind of like have a father and son with the same first name. To differentiate, the context of the story and even an inflection of a voice allows others to know who is being referenced or called upon.

I believe the creation of this proper noun has served the organization well which is the reason they keep jamming it down the adherents throats.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

While "everyone" and "only" as used in the two quotes in the OP are not necessarily contradictory or mutually exclusive, it most definitely is an example of how the WTBTS interprets the scriptures to make them say something they simply do not say.

They use this type of sublte "twisting of scriptures" all the time. For JWs that are not awake (pun intended) or aware, they don't even realize how they have been and continue to be manipulated. - 2 Peter 3:16-17

Nice catch, LQ!

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

Paul is basically doing his "thing" here:

In several of his epistles, he quotes verses from the OT which originally spoke of YHWH, but then replaces the name with Lord and applies it to Jesus. Since he was individually approached by Christ, this must be what he wanted Paul to do.

The classic examples are in Heb 1, where words originally addressed to the Father, are put into his mouth, as he addresses his son.

There are other examples in Isaiah, which the NWT deliberately alters so it appears to refer to their sock puppet, rather than his sidekick.

I remember a former dub, who ended up being chased by the elders because he spoke of jesus too much. As they said "you sound like a born again Christian."

I think it was Little Toe who once gave a talk where he deliberately omitted the nam Jehovah for the first 10 - 15 minutes. The tension in the audience became palpable, and when he uttered the magic word they almost sighed with relief.

I know a dub on street work approached a woman who asked "Are you a Christian?" the answer? "NO. I'm a jehovah's witness."

HB

• heathen
    heathen

true penelope - looked it up , been awhile on that . Don't know what they think today , I think everything is in reprint .LOL You notice it says a third of the souls in the sea die so this is about a spiritual death .IMO There are pastors out their claiming it's a war between Israel and russia or various other nonsense of course none of them will admit they lie just sound important and raise money either. Anyway those saying calling on jesus for salvation are wrong as well because jesus says , " not everyone saying to me lord lord will enter the kingdom of the heavens". We've been discussing the scripture where he turns people away.

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

Phizzy:

Paul used the Septuagint where the word Kyrios would have appeared in Joel in his copy, so "LORD" was in his mind as he wrote, not Yahweh, so the WT's argument falls.

In the article there was a footnote that claimed there is evidence that the early Septuagint copies actually contained the Tetragrammaton. Of course, they provided no such evidence in the article, so I whipped out my trusty Google search box and typed in "Septuagint Tetragrammaton". Lo' and behold, there actually appears to be such evidence. It seems possible, based on what I found, that Paul may very well have had the Paleo-Hebrew form of the Tetragrammaton instead of Kyrios. The Septuagint was a Greek Translation of the Hebrew Scriptures, and it appears the Tetragrammaton was preserved in its Hebrew form within the Greek text. I tried hard to make sure the sources of this information were non-JW. I can't validate any of it, of course, but you can look and decide for yourself.

• notjustyet
    notjustyet

Hellooo? What about the part where they actually changed the scripture to make their edit correct, grammatically.

NJY

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

NJY:

Hellooo? What about the part where they actually changed the scripture to make their edit correct, grammatically.

LOL! Didn't mean to gloss over that. You're right. They could have just quoted the scripture in question. This is the whole subtlety of it. For instance, this would have worked just as well:

"First, we must proclaim that name to others, recognizing that 'everyone who calls on the name of Jehovah will be saved.' (Rom. 10:13)"

Then, of course, we would be having the Jehovah vs. Jesus discussion.

In this case, the author used single quotes around the verse instead of double-quotes. This is important because it denotes more of a paraphrasing than an actual quote. So, we can SAY they changed the scripture, when in reality, they covered themselves by using single quotes. Yes, it's still changing things to suit their own escathology. I've just learned to pay close attention, even to punctuation and quote marks.

• Isidore
    Isidore

A few thoughts.

Nowhere do ANY on the earliest manuscripts of the NT contain "YHWH". None.

The NWT is not a bible. It is a transliteration and frankly, a total corruption of sacred scripture. (Not to mention it, like most versions from the last two centuries is incomplete and missing 7 books.)

Thw WTBS is incompent in regards to translating any of the biblical languages. Their credentials (or lack thereof) eliminates all credibility.

• wasblind
    wasblind

" However, even if we or an angel out of heaven were to declare to you as good news something beyond what we declared to you as good news, Let him be accursed."____ Galatians 1:8

Here's an example of the WTS doin' jus' that

If someone says______

' Christians are supposed to be witnesses for Jesus, not Jehovah '

You might reply :

" But here is something that may be a new thought to you. Of whom was jesus " The faithful Witness" ?______Reasoning Book page 208

The WTS clearly overides the authority of Jesus in ACTS 1:8

In the next statement the WTS explains

you have to get to know them on an individual basis

" Why is it so important to get to know both Jesus and the Father ? "________Reasoning book page 208

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

Why does it even matter what Paul wrote? As if he is some kind of authority on salvation and religion?

Paul was not a prophet. He taught nothing new. He was a historian of Israel.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit