Subtle wording in today's study article (3/15/13 WT)

by leaving_quietly 40 Replies latest watchtower bible

• BU2B
    BU2B

Actually I believe the only ones who think the word Jehovah should be there are JWs. Am I wrong? Can anyone show me anyone who isnt JW that believes that the Greek word translated Lord in romans 10 in most translations should be Jehovah? Who thinks Jehovah should be in the NT at all besides JWs?

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

1. The statement from the WT is a lie; there is no possible way the word or name 'jehovah' was used by the author of that scripture.

This invalidates the entire line of reasoning in the Watchtower, that one who 'calls on the name JEHOVAH will be saved.'

It seems like a minor point, but they use the scripture to point to the WT organization, because they trumpet the name Jehovah; this makes the point invalid, and another argument against their inserting the word Jehovah in the NT.

2. What they say is 'one who calls on the name of Jehovah' will be saved; what they mean is that only baptized members of the organization of Jehovah's Witnesses will survive Armageddon.

So there are 2 lies in this lesson

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

I just looked up Rom 10:13 in the Kingdom Interliner Translation of the Greek Scriptures (1969 Edition) and the Emphatic Diaglott (1942 Edition). In both books Rom 10:13 uses the word 'Lord' rather than 'Jehovah'.

Something else I found interesting, through out the book of Romans as well as in all his writings, the apostle Paul uses the word 'Lord' it seems exclusively to refer to Jesus Christ..... and only Jesus Christ.

So it would appear that the WT's New World Translation on the Holy Scriptures is rather faulty where they've inserted 'Jehovah' at Rom 10:13.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

I to believe that Jah's name at Romans is a miss translation, Jesus name is exalted above all others. Jesus was put in charge and that's the way Jah wants it, Period. Jesus is our King our Mediator and our Messiah, it all his ball of wax until it time to hand it back over to Jah after death is vanquished. So we either recognize the man put in charge by God or else!!!!

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

JESUS.

As the verse says "there is NO other name under heaven by which we are to be saved."

More Witchtower blasphemy and misdirection.

HB

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

After my third day in Hell at the DC, ...there is nothing anyone one of can do for JW's. Only Christ can wake them up. We can carefully ( Jesus said to watch out for yourselves ) bring up bits of truth. The operation of error is so incredibly strong, it boggles the mind and breaks the heart. They are in darkness as to their sonship with God through Christ.

All they hear is " the truth" (tm), Jehovah ( tm ) and FDS ( tm ). New Covenant scriptures are continually twisted. The rank and file are lured with Jesus' words by men who believe that Jesus' words are only written for them. The power that JW's feel from Christs' words are diverted by the GB who deny the rank and file what those words truly mean. They have shut the door on the rank and file. Jw's slave for a corporation while truly having a love for GOD, Christ, and each other.

The leaders are deplorable, and provide nothing but scraps to keep the slaves running the corporate machinery.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

"the 2 commandments that jesus itterated come into play , love jehovah your GOD with all you have and your neighbor as yourself ."

If those commandments mean that they love the Governing Body with all they have and pray for their neighbors to get slaughtered by rocks falling from the sky, JWs have that covered!

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

BU2B:

It's not just JWs who believe Jehovah (or Yahweh) should be in this verse. The Aramaic Bible in Plain English has this: "“For everyone who will call the name of THE LORD JEHOVAH shall be saved.”"

Also, interesting writeup here: http://www.rlbible.com/jesus/?p=343 (not affiliated with JWs, according to their site)

Like I said, though, there's plenty of discussion about this, so I'm not about to debate it one way or another. I believe both in God and his Christ. I have learned over the past few months just how badly JWs dishonor the Christ. To me the issue isn't about the name "Jehovah". It's that in saying 'Jehovah this' and 'Jehovah that' with little or no credence to the name of God's Son as a means of salvation, that is where the real problem lies.

Indeed, this is his commandment, that we have faith in the name of his Son Jesus Christ and be loving one another, just as he gave us commandment.
    - 1 John 3:23

Hamsterbait:

As the verse says "there is NO other name under heaven by which we are to be saved."

This is from Acts 4:12. I would add Phil. 2:9-11:

For this very reason also God exalted him to a superior position and kindly gave him the name that is above every [other] name, so that in the name of Jesus every knee should bend of those in heaven and those on earth and those under the ground, and every tongue should openly acknowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord to the glory of God the Father.

(Note "other" in brackets... not in the Greek text)

JW Gonebad and Pistoff:

Keep in mind the stated reason WHY the NWT Translation Committee has put Jehovah here. Anywhere there was a quote from the Hebrew scriptures, they assume the author included the divine name.

Interesting document regarding the name Jehovah in the NWT: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/170997

Data-Dog:

Only Christ can wake them up. We can carefully ( Jesus said to watch out for yourselves ) bring up bits of truth.

• blondie
    blondie

WTS reasoning:

*** Trinity brochure na p. 26 God’s Name and the “New Testament” ***

For example, consider the words of Paul to the Romans, as they appear in the Authorized Version: “For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.” (Romans 10:13) Whose name do we have to call on to be saved? Since Jesus is often spoken of as “Lord,” and one scripture even says: “Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved,” should we conclude that Paul was here speaking about Jesus?—Acts 16:31, Authorized Version.

No, we should not. A marginal reference to Romans 10:13 in the Authorized Version points us to Joel 2:32 in the Hebrew Scriptures. If you check that reference, you will find that Paul was actually quoting the words of Joel in his letter to the Romans; and what Joel said in the original Hebrew was: “Everyone who calls on the name of Jehovah will get away safe.” (New World Translation) Yes, Paul meant here that we should call on the name of Jehovah. Hence, while we have to believe in Jesus, our salvation is closely linked with a proper appreciation of God’s name.

*** w08 8/1 p. 20 Should the Name Jehovah Appear in the New Testament? ***

The divine name as it appears in Romans 10:13 in various translations

Hutter’s Hebrew, Greek, Latin, and German Bible

Rotuman Bible

Batak-Toba Bible

New World Translation

http://www.biblestudytools.com/romans/10-13-compare.html

One important affect is that the Watchtower attempts to use the word Jehovah to prove that only Jehovah's Witnesses will be saved. The book Reasoning from the Scriptures claims use of God's name is one of the 10 things that identify true worshippers. Watchtower publications quote Romans 10:13 to show that use of the word Jehovah is a requirement for salvation.

"We stand now at the brink of the greatest tribulation of all, when Jehovah's storm wind will sweep wickedness from the face of this earth, clearing the way for a paradise of eternal peace. Will you be one who "calls on the name of Jehovah" in faithfulness? If so, rejoice! You have God's own promise that you will be saved.-Romans 10:13." Watchtower 1997 December 15 p.21

Yet an examination of the Emphatic Diaglott, published by the Watchtower Society shows that the word used in this passage is not YHWH but Kyrios (κ?ριος) - Lord.

Just prior to this verse Romans 10:9 states "Jesus is Lord (Kurios)" and so it follows that Romans 10:13 refers to Jesus and identifying Jesus is the requirement for salvation.

Another important effect of inserting the Tetragrammaton into the New Testament is regarding understanding the Nature of God. Jesus name in Hebrew is Yahoshua, meaning Yah is Salvation, and a number of scriptures that referred to YHWH in the Old Testament were quoted in reference to Jesus in the New Testament, such as when Romans 10:13 applies Joel 2:30 to Jesus. These scriptures, when translated accurately are important indicators of the oneness of the Father and the Son. This is difficult to detect in the New World Translation of the Bible. It is one of the anomalies of the Bible that the Holy Name stopped being used between the Old and New Testament. When a person reads the scriptures as originally written it can be understood what prompted the understanding of the Trinity and the great importance we need to put on our relationship with Jesus.

http://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/jehovah-new-testament.php

• wasblind
    wasblind

The bigger issue with this isnt the wording, but the fact that this passage is not referring to Jehovah but Jesus. ----BU2B

The Jehovah's witnesses always refer back to the Isaiah 43:10 in the Old testament

as proof that they should be witnesses for Jehovah , not Jesus

They refuse to acknowledge that Isaiah 43:10 was quoted before

the Birth , death , and resurrection Of Jesus Christ .

After his ressurection, Jesus was given the authority in Matthew 28:18 ,

to tell his disciples to be Witnesses of him

in Acts 1:8

Romans 10:13 comes after Jesus sacrificed his life to save us

So Romans 10:13 definitely speaks about Jesus Christ

If not. That means Jesus dyin' on the cross was unnecessary

because their was another way for us to gain salvation

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit