Archaeology + The Oldest Breed of Horse - Interesting

by *lost* 11 Replies latest watchtower bible

• *lost*
    *lost*

Came across this and found it very interesting.

Earliest remains of oldest horse breed found. By archaeologists in Iran. May 2011

www.allvoices.com

Gohar Tappeh, N.Iran

• ÁrbolesdeArabia
    ÁrbolesdeArabia

lost, are you a equine man? The horses the inhabitants of the Gobi desert are very intriguing and must be very old stock. The Mongolians have been using the horse for thousands of years, the breeds are very small when you compare them to European Horses.

I like the read.

• *lost*
    *lost*

AA I have an interest in them.

Such beautiful amazing creatures. If ever any one has the opportunity to interact with them in their lives and

develop friendship with them, will understand.

I came across this piece by accident last night, thought, ooooh interesting this is.

I had not heard it before, as a standard, the Arabian has always been classed as the oldest breed.

However, there are a lot of similarities between all of the 'ancient' foundation breeds.

e'g welsh cob, there are a few differant 'classes' called sections A - D, A being the smallest, pony, D being the largest, cob.

But a refined beautiful animal, not a heavy coarse cob, the Arab blood is clear to see.

There is also a similar type in Ireland, connemara ponies, ( who have lived as 'wild' colonies ) believed to be 'improved' with stock

from when the Spanish trade with Ireland was prevalent.

Then we have the arab as being the foundation sire for the thoroughbred, again you can see the differant lines (types) relevant to their breeding 'line'

compare the arab sheik breeders racehorse model, with the run of the mill thoroughbred horse, you can see the Arab sheik owners horse exude quality and beauty, their ancestry is clear to the naked eye, they are almost magical.

Point in making: King of the World, 3 yr old colt, highly bred, never raced as a two year old, kept back, raced his way into the history books yesterday.

beautiful stallion, hopefully he will go on to further greatness.

• *lost*
    *lost*

The Megalithic Portal and Megalithic Map

wwwmegalithic.co.uk

very interesting site.

for those who have an interest in ancient things

• Heaven
    Heaven

Thanks for posting this lost. I love horses. Due to this interest I knew that the religious information of 'God created everything in 7 days' was not true because breeds of animals (horses in my case) were created well after God's supposed '7 day creation' timeframe. The Arab is one of my faves and is definitely a foundational breed for various other horse breeds. Sounds like the Caspian had a number of similar traits to the Arabian. It will be interesting to see if the breed can make a comeback.

Here's the actual article made clickable: http://www.allvoices.com/contributed-news/8945121-earliest-remains-of-oldest-horse-breed-found

Thought I'd post the content for those who cannot connect to the site.

Earliest Remains of Oldest Horse Breed Found! Neka : Iran | May 01, 2011 at 6:45 AM PDT By SofiaAmbrosia send a private message

The earliest remains of the oldest horse breed in existence today was found by archaeologists in Iran!

It was during their eighth season of archaeological research in Gohar Tappeh, northern Iran, in the province of Mazandaran, that the precious remains of a horse identified as the Caspian also known as the Mazandaran Horse were found. It is the oldest breed of horse in the world that is still in existence today.

The horse’s remains were discovered in a cemetery dating back to the late Bronze and early Iron ages, around 3400 BCE.

“Due to the form, figure and size of the discovered remains of the horse, we now have the oldest evidence for Caspian horse ancestry at hand.” said Ali Mahforuzi, the director of the archaeological team in Gohar Tappeh, adding "We have to continue our research until we reach the virgin soil in order to establish the oldest human occupation of the site." It is that kind of philosophy and dogged persistence that paid off!

"It seems the excavation is gradually moving past the cemetery, and into an industrial level since we found a clay-kiln in 2006. We are hoping that we will have more information about the industrial section of the site too by next year," hopes Mahforuzi.

Mahforuzi believes that "obtaining information from Gohar Tappeh helps us to understand the site's cultural settings and its link to other cultures in the region during pre-historic times."

Gohar Tappeh historical site has a 50 hectare area that is located in the eastern part of Mazandaran province between the cities of Neka and Behshahr, north of Iran.

As one of the most important archaeological sites in Iran located near the Caspian Sea, it carries the secret of an ancient civilization. It is also believed that Gohar Tappeh once enjoyed a complicated urbanization some 6,500 to 7,000 years ago.

Discovery of architectural structures as well as a large number of graves with different burial methods observed in this region all point to the existence of continual life in this region during different periods of history till the First millennium BCE.

The oldest stratum to be identified this season is that of the chalcolithic age (3500 to 3400 BCE) and the oldest so far dates to the Neolithic age, circa 14,000 years ago.

Once, the Caspian horse was known as the “King’s Horse,” and celebrated in ancient Persia as the choice of a chariot horse for racing and in battle. Caspians were presented to kings and queens of Persia as a valuable gift and known to be favored by Darius the Great.

Smaller than modern racehorse which stand at around 16 hands, the Caspian comes in at around 11.3 hands. They also have lighter frames, thinner bones, a short, fine head with a pronounced forehead, large eyes, short ears and a small muzzle.

Despite these differences, Caspians are very fast, incredibly strong and spirited, but also of good temperament, and notably "kind, intelligent and willing," as described by Louise Firouz. They seem almost human!

Caspian horses were thought to have become extinct until 1965 when Louise Firouz, the American wife of an Iranian aristocrat went on a horseback expedition and discovered a number of them in the Iranian mountainous region south of the Caspian Sea.

There are still only a few in number that survive today in Iran and only 1300 registered Persian Caspians can be found world-wide, mainly in the United States, United Kingdom, Australia and Germany.

The last recorded export of Caspian horses out of Iran occurred in the early 1990’s when a small shipment left for Great Britain.

• *lost*
    *lost*

Heaven - thank you so much.

I'm doing a 'virtual tour' of Ireland, lol.

Some fascinating ancient pre-christian history, Tribal Families, Chieftans, High Kings, The ruling Elite and 'religion' .

There are many, many fascinating monuments all over the country and still intact, Portal Tombs, Castles, Abbey's.

Arab, yes, foundation breed and improver of many of the worlds modern breeds.

It will be interesting to see if any other 'new digs' might bring up more ancient sites with Arab remains, and put him back on top, lol.

The beauty of the Caspian ( I think ) was more in his suitability for a little powerhouse/scurry chariot horse like porche's.

I love the Arabs history, in that they lived as part of the family.

At one time in England, the best eventers had some arab blood, but it would not be disclosed, as most people had no time for the Arab as a serious sports horse.

Shows how easy people can be proven wrong.

Ben-Hur, love the horse's in that film.

• StAnn
    StAnn

There is a documentary about horses starring Martin Clunes called "Horsepower". It is very interesting and shows those beautiful mongolian horses. Martin Clunes is 6'5" tall and when he tried to ride one his feet touched the ground. If you love horses, you'll really enjoy this show.

• *lost*
    *lost*

Yes I have seen that.

For anyone that loves horses, and would like to see some amazing things, check out Pat Pirelli, amazing horse man.

I would love to see a picture of the ancient Old English Black, he was supposed to massive (progenitor of Shire Horse, but bigger )

• humbled
    humbled

I saw a HUGE shire at a sale last year at Columbia, Missouri. Silky black, gentle and upstanding. Breathtaking.

My husband has been using Haflingers on our farm now that he is pressing 80 years. They are tough little work horses of the Austrians have bred up over the years (it's easier to deal with a horse that is 14 hands to harness or to mount). They, too, got a "blood transfusion" of Arabian assets in the late 1800's. They are a class act. Look the breed up. He works, rides and drives them. Energetic, beautiful, friendly and willing.

I have never been very jealous of my husband with women--but his horses have given me a twinge or two :)

Good thing I like them as well.

Maeve

• *lost*
    *lost*

A good Shire is just one of the most amazing animals you will see.

They just exude power and nobility, and such an ancient history.

Maeve

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit