WTS is ADVERTISING in local newspapers

by still thinking 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

"We don't take it personally.

"You have to defuse the situation with kindness and sometimes you feel sorry for them because you wonder what is going on in their life to make them react that way.

What’s going on in their life to make them react that way?! How about waking them up every goddamn Saturday morning shoving your cultish crap down their throats. Over and over and over... I can't believe I participated in this crap for so long.

• Heaven
    Heaven

I've been in this house now for almost 7 years and I work from home regularly. I've had 1 visit at the door. I don't think those 2 ladies are in the area anymore. The next visit was when my Dad was here from a lady I know and her Mom. I had a discussion with the lady I know over the phone. Once my Dad went into the nursing home, they haven't returned. I must be sayin' somethin' right!

• RayPublisher
    RayPublisher

@Blondie - you said:

advertising = they paid for it

news item = they did not pay for it

That's not necessarily the case- I have done a lot of TV, Radio, and print advertising for clients and follow the advertising news, More and more newscorps are doing "soft news" and will feature stories for a price. It's actually not that new, even Russell did it back in the day. He paid for "news stories" in certain papers about his missionary trips and his radio broadcasts according to Gruss in the Four Presidents book.

• Scott77
    Scott77

'...It's actually not that new, even Russell did it back in the day. He paid for "news stories" in certain papers about his missionary trips and his radio broadcasts..."
    RayPublisher

That may suggest somehow, the Watchtower is basically returning back to its root by following the footsteps of its discredited and contraversial founder.

Scott77

• blondie
    blondie

Ray, I only speak from my knowledge of how things were handled in this metropolitan area. So people can buy a newspaper to present an article as originating with the newspaper staff? Here it is something free offered to religious groups in the area to advertise their events. The WTS PR brothers send over a list of facts and statements and sometimes the paper does an article or sends over a reporter...but they never paid. I worked in that area for some time. I'm not naive that things aren't so kosher in the media world. I would think though that the paper would identify the info from advertising as being f rom the WTS not an article researched by the paper just to CYA.

• rebel8
    rebel8

I can't find an ad.

I did a search for articles using the keyword "jehovah" within the last month and came up with a handful. I am assuming they are getting so much ink because they're paid advertisers--some small papers operate that way. The same articles show up when you use the "find ads" feature.

My fave title is, "Out to gain members by force". lol

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit