Do Animals Have Souls?

by Cold Steel 165 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• tec
    tec

That is a tricky topic, Q, and it probably is worth its own thread.

Peace,

tammy

• still thinking
    still thinking

Interesting post seraphim... consciousness is a difficult thing to define. And perception and understanding is fluid. Consciousness is not something tangebale. The only thing we really know about it, is without the use of our brain...we are unconscious. If we are anesthetized it is as though we don't even exist. We have no awareness of anything that is happening. Without consciousness. What are we?

• Seraphim23
    Seraphim23

I think it may be because philosophy is not always easy to follow Cofty. Not your fault I guess. I’m 37 by the way, how old are you, although you probably won’t tell me?

• cofty
    cofty
    I think it may be because philosophy is not always easy to follow Cofty. - seraphim23

No its not although philosophers who really understand what it is they are trying to say can make it interesting. Daniel Dennett is a good example. A lot of what passes for philosophy is nothing more than mental masturbation.

You are thoroughly muddled. That's OK sometimes it helps to think out loud to clarify our ideas but don't berate others for confessing they can't follow your ramblings.

I asked you if you were a teenager because you referred to me as "my lady". I couldn't believe an adult could be so silly.

I still have not the faintest idea what your point is.

I think you are seriously arguing that the trillions and trillions of rats, pilchards, pipistrelles and butterflies that ever lived are doomed to spend eternity as a soul although you still haven't defined soul or spirit; you think it has something to do with the word quantum, you also think this amounts to philosophy and its my fault I don't get it.

Am I getting close?

• Seraphim23
    Seraphim23

Thanks still thinking. I’m glad you got what I was trying to say. There is some evidence that consciousness may still remain active even when asleep, but that we don’t remember it because memories are either not laid down, or access to them is blocked creating the impression we were not aware. For instance the dreams that are not recalled as well as others, indicating that perhaps it is just the recollection that is the problem, not the awareness itself. I think though you are right about the defining difficulty. It is hard to define something that doesn’t perhaps exist in the physical sense if that is the case with consciousness, as definitions often depend on agreed upon common experience, i.e what comes through the senses as opposed to what experiences those sensory inputs.

cofty calm down if you can.

• Seraphim23
  • cofty
    cofty
    This is a compelling video:

So is this...

• Seraphim23
    Seraphim23

If I may add that my video is 12 mins long. Your one coffly will have to wait untill I have two hours but I will watch it.

• still thinking
    still thinking

Seraphim I have read about that doctor...I didn't find him compelling at all.

Dan Dennet has some thought provoking ideas about consciousness...but I still don't think he addresses the issue itself. I have watched other videos of his on the subject. Does he go more indepth in this one cofty? I watched one recently where he said that other philosophers told him he couldn't define consciousness...so he proceeded to do so. Frankly, his definition left me asking more questions than it answered. Ha! maybe thats the idea. LOL

• cofty
    cofty
    Does he go more indepth in this one cofty?

I have no idea I haven't watched it. Its a pet hate of mine when people post videos as an alternative to actually discussing thier arguments, so when Seraphim did that I posted a 2hr video in response.

I was being ironic but I don't think he got it.

Daniel Dennett's book on consciousness is on my to do list. I have just finished Nick Lane's "Life Ascending" where he discusses the evolution of consciousness in one chapter.

Proceeding on the basis that "every mystery that has ever been solved has turned out to be NOT magic" I'm content to watch the progress in neuroscience with interest.

Seraphim and others have already concluded a priori there is a ghost in the machine.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit