Do Animals Have Souls?

by Cold Steel 165 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

I know most Jehovah's Witnesses believe in the soul sleeping doctrine. By this, given that neither man nor beast has a spirit, but that they do possess souls (or "intelligences" unique to themselves). Where this intelligence resides between death and resurrection is more than a passing interest, but again, assuming that Yehweh can recreate one's distict soul, does the Society believe that animals have souls? And will they be resurrected? I have a cat that has a very distinct personality, and when I have to leave town he stops eating and waits on the front doorstep for my return. Sometimes when I watch TV, I look up and see him lying there just staring at me. What he's thinking is beyond me, but he also goes for walks with me.

The more I get to know animals, the more incredible it is to think that when they die, they just cease to function like a watch battery. My own belief is that the atonement of Christ covers animals, humans, bugs, plants and everything with life. But many of my Evangelical, Orthodox and Catholic friends believe that only man has a distinct spirit or soul. And I think JWs agree that Yahweh will only resurrect people. (How they know this with no revelation is beyond me, but this is the official doctrine.)

So what do YOU think? If you're a former member of the Society, have you changed your mind in relation to whether man has a spirit? Obviously atheists need not pontificate on this, but if you've maintained a belief in God, has your thinking changed?

In another post, the Society is quoted regarding its policy about questions: "Jehovah’s organization does not discourage sincere, timely questions, as some opposers mistakenly claim. (1 Peter 1:10-12) However, the Bible counsels that we avoid foolish, speculative questions. (Titus 3:9) Asking reasonable questions and searching God’s Word and Christian publications to find Scriptural answers can increase our accurate knowledge and can thus strengthen our confidence in Jehovah..." - W 8/15/98, p.20, par.19

Since the Bible doesn't really address whether animals are resurrected, is this an issue that can be discussed among members?

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

"Obviously atheists need not pontificate on this"

Why not?

Atheists generally have a better knowledge of scripture than Christians do, and see no need to believe in untenable claims ("faith") based on personal feelings only and no evidence.

"My own belief is that the atonement of Christ covers animals, humans, bugs, plants and everything with life"

Show me in the Bible where it says Jesus died for carrots, junebugs, beetles, house cats, dandelions and amoebas.

However, the Bible counsels that we avoid foolish, speculative questions... Since the Bible doesn't really address whether animals are resurrected, is this an issue that can be discussed among members?

Discussion in this case would fall under the category of "speculative" and "foolish", wouldn't it?

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

"My own belief is that the atonement of Christ covers animals, humans, bugs, plants and everything with life"

---

What about creatures that lived prior to Jesus' sacrifice?

Does T-Rex benefit from this atonement?

Considering that 99% of all species that have ever lived are now extinct, does Jesus' atonement cover them too, retroactively?

If not, it seems Jesus' atonement is a massive failure as, at best, it would only "save" less than 1% of all life that has ever existed.

Again, any answers you provide must be from the Bible.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

And I think JWs agree that Yahweh will only resurrect people. (How they know this with no revelation is beyond me, but this is the official doctrine.)

---

Which "revelations" are you privy to, Cold Steel?

• james_woods
    james_woods

Douglas Hofstader addresses this issue in his book "I am a strange loop".

He presents the idea that all creatures (animal creatures) have a quantum number of soul.

For example - a bumblebee might have 2 out of 100 - a bunny rabbit might have more like 9...,

None of this makes any sense to me.

• tec
    tec

Soul often describes the physical being as well.

But there is the physical, and there is the spiritual. The physical body, and the spirit (spiritual body)

We are spirit 'beneath' the physical vessel. (treasures in clay jars, as I believe it was Paul who described us thus?)

So are animals.

The garden of Eden is a spiritual place/realm; and these vessels, as they are, cannot enter. But if you recall, animals were brought to Adam (in the garden) to be named. Seems to me by this that they are spirit as well.

Peace,

tammy

• 5go
    5go

That is the one thing that always brings me back to being an athiest. Why the animal destinction from humans?

When you get right down to it humans are really smart animals and that all they are.

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

I was pretty clear this is a matter of speculation. Also that it's not in the Bible. And I didn't mean to disinclude atheists, it's just that they don't believe anything or anyone has a spirit or soul.

Since it's not in the Bible, then the Governing Body is just guessing. But is it a subject open to debate among JWs?

My own view is that everything that has life has a soul and is eligible for resurrection under the atonement. I've believed this all my life, being born a Methodist. That's not to say the Methodist Church believes what I believe, but most of my family members would frequently disagree with our pastors regarding the Trinity and other doctrines. And my paternal grandmother (a Southern Baptist) would never say "catholic church" in the so-called "Apostles' Creed, even though it was a generic term and not the Roman Catholic faith.

Now I'm a Mormon and our own apostles state categorically that all life is resurrected. How do they know? Because the LDS faith believes that everything that lives upon the earth existed before it was in the earth, being created spiritually before it was physically present. Since dinosaurs lived at some point, yes, the same would apply to them. But again, even as a Methodist, I thought the animals I knew had distinct personalities and intelligence. When animals die, their bodies become just as "vacant" as peoples' bodies. It's apparent that whatever it is that animates them is gone. Also, many of the near death experiences I've read mention animals in the spirit world. I can only assume they lived on Earth.

Yes, I'm aware that the same word for "breath" and "spirit" are the same. My cat has terrible breath,
    though! But he's gorgeous...at least to me.

• prologos
    prologos

according to the genesis account, perfect man and his even more perfect better half would DIE like animals unless they ate of the tree of life, wich they had access to.

they were perfect. animal like; like animals their creation too came under the heading: "all that he made was good".

Where are you going to put all those resurrected animals? in the heavens? that is already crowded.

Pisces, swan, taurus, scorpio,

If creation is good, it does not need atonement, it is already

at one with its purpose.:

enjoying life and providing fodder.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

Cold Steel: Now I'm a Mormon and our own apostles state categorically that all life is resurrected. How do they know? Because the LDS faith believes that everything that lives upon the earth existed before it was in the earth, being created spiritually before it was physically present. Since dinosaurs lived at some point, yes, the same would apply to them

---

So, LDS has received this information by revelation? And, it's not in the Bible, right?

How can you criticize other religions, like Jehovah's Witnesses, for their beliefs when yours are just as incredibly untenable and based solely on personal opinions?

Since it's not in the Bible, then the Governing Body is just guessing.

How are LDS "apostles" any different than the Watchtower's "governing body"?

Are your pretend beliefs superior to the next guy's pretend beliefs?

How do they [LDS "apostles"] know?

They don't! They have a belief based on "faith" which is based on nothing more than wishful thinking- just like all other religions. Beliefs are not knowing if they have no evidence to back them up.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit