Brief History of Palestine

by Amazing 22 Replies latest jw friends

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I don't get it. Why are so many people hell bent on living in some of the most god forsaken desert land in the world?

If I were born there, I would do everything in my power to LEAVE.

All this crap about “returning to the land of my forefathers” is ridiculous! If my forefathers lost a desert wasteland, I would not be the least inclined to return. I would say to the invaders, “So long suckers! I’m outta here!”

"As every one knows, there are mistakes in the Bible" - The Watchtower, April 15, 1928, p. 126
    Believe in yourself, not mythology.
    <x ><

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

Palestine was settled by Semitic tribes at a very early date. It was
    then called Canaan. Canaanite tribes controlled the area for more than
    1,000 years. About 1500 BC Hebrew, or Jewish, tribes began to enter the
    area. They later came into conflict with a people of Greek origin known
    as the Philistines. It is from them that the term Palestine is derived.
    The Hebrew tribes ultimately defeated the Philistines and established a
    monarchy in about 1000 BC known as the kingdom of Israel.
    This monarchy flourished for some 75 years. It then split into two
    weaker kingdoms: Israel and Judah, which survived for approximately 200
    and 400 years respectively. Both kingdoms fell under the rule of more
    powerful neighbors Assyria, Babylonia, and Persia. At the time of Jesus,
    Jews still aspired to political independence, but by then the region had
    become a part of the Roman Empire.
    After AD 70 the Romans destroyed much of Jerusalem in retaliation for
    Jewish rebellions. In a particularly brutal response to a Jewish revolt
    in 132, Julius Severus had more than a half million men in more than
    1,000 villages killed. With the conversion of the Byzantine, or Eastern
    Roman, Empire to Christianity in the 4th century, Palestine and
    Jerusalem particularly became centers of Christian pilgrimage under the
    protection of the Byzantine emperors in Constantinople (now Istanbul).
    Christians formed the majority of the population at the time of the Arab
    invasions in the 7th century, at which time the region fell under Muslim
    rule.
    Except for a century of Christian dominance during the Crusades,
    Palestine remained under Muslim control either Arab or Turkish from the
    7th to the 20th century. It was part of the Ottoman Empire, centered in
    Istanbul, from 1517 to 1917-18, when British forces took command of the
    region during World War I. Following the war Britain was awarded the
    right to administer Palestine under a League of Nations mandate that
    committed Britain to preparing the population of Palestine for future
    self-rule.

• singsongboi
    singsongboi

what is now called 'israel' won it's right to statehood following WW2 by means of terrorism.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Yeah, but they are still fighting over DESERT LAND. [8>]

"As every one knows, there are mistakes in the Bible" - The Watchtower, April 15, 1928, p. 126
    Believe in yourself, not mythology.
    <x ><

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

""what is now called 'israel' won it's right to statehood following WW2 by means of terrorism.""

Well, Israel had statehood over 3,000 years ago, not after WWII.

Seems that most nations use force to gain land, sooner than later. Australia is a good example too.........double standard singsongboi?

• GWEEDO
    GWEEDO

Thichi

About 1500 BC Hebrew, or Jewish, tribes began to enter the
    area. They later came into conflict with a people of Greek origin known
    as the Philistines. It is from them that the term Palestine is derived.
    The Hebrew tribes ultimately defeated the Philistines and established a
    monarchy in about 1000 BC known as the kingdom of Israel.
    This monarchy flourished for some 75 years. It then split into two
    weaker kingdoms: Israel and Judah,
    Recent archeological evidence apparently disputes this claim. What the Scholars are saying now is that there was no great kingdom of David...there was no great kingdom of Solomon. There were the tribes of Judah and Israel etc, but they were largely indistinguishable from all the other tribes there. Judah and Israel eventually rose up out of all the tribes there and came to dominate the area.
  • ThiChi
    ThiChi

You are wrong.... but the latest is a tablet from the Amalikites that references the “House of David.” So like many who stated that Roman Governor Pilot did not exist, evidence is leaning for a House of David.

Also, since the Rock of the Dome is located on the old temple mount, the evidence is not coming as fast as it could.......

• GWEEDO
    GWEEDO

THichi

You are wrong
    umm no.

I'm not wrong that thats what a lot of Scholars are saying about the latest archeological evidence.

Someone posted something about it here awhile back.
    I was also listening to some scholars talk about this on radio yesterday.

David may well have existed. But it was no great kingdom he had. This is what the scholars are saying now. It was just a minor backwater tribe that rose out of the many tribes that were there at the time.

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

Nice try:

The issue is the national existence of a state, not the size of the nation itself.

Also, your so called “ scholars” admit that until they can excavate the temple mount to see if the first temple is as the Bible describes it, they are just guessing. Also, the tunnel system under Jerusalem (dated over three thousand years ago) gives credence that the nation was more established than just a nomadic Tribe, as you claim.

Your so called scholars claimed for many years that the House of David was never confirmed outside of Jewish writings, now that has changed, so has the facts......

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Elsewhere,

You said,

Yeah, but they are still fighting over DESERT LAND.
    This is NOT true. Much of the desert that the Jews have worked for the last 100 plus years of modern Zionism have been converted into fertile farm land.

Now on to the so called Palestinians. First question. Why didn't the Arab nations establish a Palestinian state in the lands it occuppied after the 1948 Arab Israeli wars? It is the same land that they today want to call a Palestinian homeland.

No, rather than establish a so called Palestinian homeland, the arabs used that territory to launch terrorist, guerrilla and conventional attacks against Israel to try to irradicate it. This is why the Israelis were forced to take this land in the "67 war.

Arafat is NOT Palestinian. Yassir Arafat was born in Egypt and came to the Holy Land in his late teens as an Egyptian gun runner. Like so many claiming to be Palestinian, Arafat was an Arab immigrant into the Holy Land, and not native born. They have no more claim on the Holy Land do the Jews that moved in.

Jerusalem the Third Holiest Site to Islam? Only in this century. before 1929 the Al Aqsa mosque was just one of many run down mosques that held no more importance than did any other sight. The myth of the Al Aqsa mosque being the third holiest site in Isalm was started by Arafat's uncle (?) who was the Grand Mufti of Jerusalem.

The Israeli's can go over board sometimes, like releasing 400 prisoners in their underwear, etc. But much of the animosity is brought on by the so called Palestinians who teach their kids that it's good to be a suicide bomber, that Palestine will eradicate Israel, etc.

The President caving in to our so called allies in Europe is sad. The Israeli war against Terror is Our war against terror. Israel should start demanding the immediate US withdrawl from Afghanistan, calling our actions there, "Not Helpful"

YERUSALYIM
    "Vanity! It's my favorite sin!"
    [Al Pacino as Satan, in "DEVIL'S ADVOCATE"]

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit