Jesus: The latest Myth in the history of Sun-God Myths

by VivaVegas 31 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• VivaVegas
    VivaVegas

I wanted to share with you all information that you may find helpful in your quest for real truth as it pertains to God and religion. "Jesus" is just the latest Sun-god in mankind's long history of Sun-Gods. A belief-system which in itself stems from mankinds first true religion, worship of the Sun and Stars. Ancient "Gods" Horus, Mythra and Dionysus, for example, all pre-dated Jesus and when compared side-by-side are clearly the inspiration and source for the Jesus-Sun God-Savior myth.

Here are a few examples of the similarities using the Egyptian God Horus compared to Jesus:

1. Horus was born in Anu ("the place of bread") Jesus was born in Bethlehem ("the house of bread").

2. Both were the "only begotten son" of a god (either Osiris or Yahweh)

3. Horus's mother was Meri, Jesus's mother was Mary.

4. Horus's foster father was called Jo-Seph, and Jesus's foster father was Joseph.

5. Both had their coming announced to their mother by an angel. Horus; birth was heralded by the star Sirius (the morning star). Jesus had his birth heralded by a star in the East (the sun rises in the East).

6. Ancient Egyptians celebrated the birth of Horus on December 21 (the Winter Solstice). Nearly all modern Christians celebrate the birth of Jesus on December 25.

7. Horus was visited at birth by "three solar deities" and Jesus was visited by "three wise men".

8. After the birth of Horus, HERUT tried to have Horus murdered. After the birth of Jesus, HEROD tried to have Jesus murdered.

9. To hide from Herut, a god tells Isis, "Come, thou goddess Isis, hide thyself with thy child." To hide from Herod, an angel tells Joseph to "arise and take the young child and his mother and flee into Egypt."

10. Both Horus and Jesus were 12 at their coming-of-age rituals. Neither have any official recorded life histories between the ages of 12 and 30.

11. Both Horus and Jesus are baptized in rivers at the age 30.

12. Horus was baptized by Anup the Baptizer. Jesus was baptized by John the Baptist.

13. Both Anup and John were later beheaded.

14. Horus was taken from the desert to a high mountain to be tempted by his arch-rival Set. Jesus was taken from the desert to a high mountain to be tempted by his arch-rival Satan.

15. Horus "stilled the sea by his power." Jesus commanded the sea to be still by saying, "Peace, be still."

16. Both Horus and Jesus were crucified next to two thieves and then buried in tombs. Both were resurrected 3 days later.

17. Horus was identified with the Tau (cross). Jesus & Christianity is symbolized by the cross (holds true for most of christianity, the JW sect not withstanding).

These are just a few of the many striking simliarities between Jesus and his ancient counterparts. I encourage you all to do your research and free yourselves from the bonds of religion. Believe in yourselves. You are great just the way you are. You do not need to give your money and precious time to a Priest, Bishop, Rabbi, Elder or Governing Body.

Love yourselves. Love your fellow man. There is no limit to what mankind can accomplish when we drop the burden of religion and believe in ourselves and the power of co-operation.

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

Look Viv, this is an extremely religious place. A holy place.

We have already done our research and have concluded that Jesus is god; and you're not.

So go away.

• Seraphim23
    Seraphim23

Bad research is all I can say about this. Goodness me it’s made up and doesn’t correspond to actual Egyptian texts at all. What all you trying to sell here?

• cofty
    cofty

Hi VivaVegas - welcome to the forum.

Do you have references for any of these?

I agree very much with yor final paragraph but I would need to see some good evidence for your 17 points. Personally I am persuaded that there was a man behind the myth. I don't think he was invented out of whole cloth.

• tec
    tec

You do not need to give your money and precious time to a Priest, Bishop, Rabbi, Elder or Governing Body.
    Love yourselves. Love your fellow man.

Though I agree with all of this that you have said, the rest... those copy-cat things... while popular among some groups (like zeitgeist) and propogated on the internet, are not factual.

Peace,

tammy

• VivaVegas
    VivaVegas

I'm not selling anything. I leave the selling of a belief system to organized religion. I am offering you a broader scope in which to review your faith. The similarities do not stop at Horus and Jesus. They are many striking parallels between the Jesus myth and the Sun-Gods myths that have predated him.

True their are different interpretations of the Horus myth just as their are of the Jesus myth. But the striking similarities do not stop at Horus. Let me introduce you to Roman God Romulus. Are so many similarities between myths coincidence?

Romulus:
    Romulus is born of a vestal virgin.
    His mother claims that the divine impregnated her, yet this is not believed by the King.
    Romulus and his twin brother, Remus, are tossed in the river and left for dead. (A "slaughter of the innocents" tale which parallels that of Matthew 2:13-16).
    Romulus is hailed as the son of god. He is "snatched away to heaven" by a whirlwind (It is assumed that the gods took him), and he makes post mortem appearances.
    In his work Numa Pompilius, Plutarch records that there was a darkness covering the earth before the death of Romulus (Just as there was during Jesus' death according to Mark 15:33).
    He also states that Romulus is to be know afterwards as ‘Quirinus'; A god which belonged to the Archiac Triad (a "triple deity" similar to the concept of the Trinity).

How about the Greek god Dionysus.

Dionysus:
    Dionysys was born of a virgin on December 25 and, as the Holy Child, was placed in a manger.
    He was a traveling teacher who performed miracles. He "rode in a triumphal procession on an ass."
    He was a sacred king killed and eaten in an eucharistic ritual for fecundity and purification.
    Dionysus rose from the dead on March 25, similar to modern Easter sunday which is March 31.
    He was the "God of the Vine", and turned water into wine. He was called "King of Kings" and "God of Gods."
    He was considered the "Only Begotten Son," Savior," "Redeemer," "Sin Bearer," Anointed One," and the "Alpha and Omega."
    He was identified with the Ram or Lamb.
    His sacrificial title of "Dendrites" or "Young Man of the Tree" intimates he was hung on a tree or crucified.

And on and on and on. Again, you don't need a priest, rabbi, pastor or governing body to lead you and take all of your precious time and money. You are great just the way you are. Believe in yourself and your fellow man and live a happy life free from religious tyranny and intolerance.

• VivaVegas
    VivaVegas

Thank you for the warm welcome Cofty.

Let me make a correction, when I said the mother of Horus was Meri, I meant to write, "Isis-Meri". To add to my point, Google image "isis-meri and child" You will see an ancient statue depicting the Mother goddess Isis-Meri holding the infant Horus in a depiction nearly identical to that of Madonna/child.

Now, even the most strident christian apologist as to admit that the painting "madonna and child(mary and baby jesus) is a near duplicate of it's predecessor Isis-Meri/horus. Here is a link for your convenience: http://s3.amazonaws.com/data.tumblr.com/tumblr_ldscr2ITCU1qc0a82o1_1280.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAI6WLSGT7Y3ET7ADQ&Expires=1369954819&Signature=jnIXoUvF%2BR8zrVu1FaaLAxMtBw8%3D#_=_

As to sources on the Horus myth try the book Hermes of Egypt. There are others but I cannot recall the names at the moment and do not have the data handy. If your interested, I can get to that data in a few days and give you the info.

• VivaVegas
    VivaVegas

SOURCES:

For those that wanted sources on the Horus/Jesus Sun God myth similarities. Lucky for you I found an old email with some sources to some of the points I made earlier. Hopefully the ebook version of these sources are available for your further enjoyment. Also as I stated earlier, I will be able to access my full data source in a few days.

"Horus was born on December 25th...."Plutarch, -Isis and Osiris? (65, 387C); King, C.W., 56; Plutarch/Babbitt, 153.Macrobius/Davies, 129. The original Latin of this paragraph in Macrobius is: -...ut parvulus videatur hiemali solstitio, qualem Aegyptii proferunt ex adyto die certa, quod tunc brevissimo die veluti parvus et infans videatur...? (Murdock, Christ In Egypt or CIE, 89.)Mojsov, 13.
    "Horus was born of the virgin Isis-Meri..."Frazer, GB, IV, 8.Murdock, CIE, 201.Witt, 273.For more on the virgin status of Isis, see Murdock, Christ In Egypt, 138-157.
    "Horus baptized at the age of 30 by anup.."Tertullian, On Baptism, V , p. 9.Murdock, CIE, 247.Bonwick, 120.
    "Horus being crucified and rising from death 3 days later" - In the myth, both Osiris and Horus die and are resurrected, with Horus becoming the risen Osiris. As stated in The Riddle of Resurrection by professor of Old Testament Studies at the University of Lund, Dr. Tryggve N.D. Mettinger: The death and resurrection of Osiris are the most central features of [the Khoiak/Koiak] festivalYou may also reference Hornung, CGAE, 124.

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

You are stretching ancient mythology to the point of snapping! Much of what you're citing sounds like it was gleaned from extremely unreliable sources. If you do your own research, instead of relying on the shoddy research of others, you'll realize the game is a little more difficult.

The entire Old Testament points to Jesus as the Messiah. The law of sacrifice, the brazen serpent, the priesthood and prophecy all pointed the way to Christ. (See Isaiah 53.) If one reads the New Testament, the apostles make this case with many compelling arguments. Plus Moses and Jesus have one crucial thing the mythologies don't have, and that's witnesses. "In the mouth of two or three witnesses shall every word be established." Not only Moses, but 70 elders of Israel, Joshua and a few others, saw God. The people also witnessed the parting of the Red Sea. And in Jesus' day, three of the apostles saw Moses and Elijah transfigured on the mount with Jesus. Hundreds of his disciples saw the resurrected Jesus and even more saw the many miracles he performed. Then Saul, one of the most zealous opponents of Peter and the Christians, had a vision on the way to Damascus and created a stir among the Christians, Jews and Romans, and he became one of Christianity's most avid champions.

Another problem is that if you look at each of the examples you used, the primary portion of Horus' and Dionysus' lives have nothing to do with the major points of Jesus' life. Horus and Dionysus were not crucified and subsequently resurrected, though Osirus was, and later traditions combined the persons of Horus, his son, and him. Isis was reputed to be his mother, though so was Hathor. The miracle of virgin birth is not unusual in ancient lore. Quetzalcoatl was said to have been a bearded white god, born of a virgin, killed and resurrected. But there also is some evidence that he may have been a Christian himself, or more. Neither Horus nor Dionysus took upon themselves the sins of the world and suffered for mankind's sins. As for the city of bread reference, c'mon, bread was the primary food staple in that region. It's like saying Samson and Heracles came from the same mythoplasm. Dionysus was captured by pirates while sleeping, and when he awoke the pirates laughed at him. Suddenly, grape vines sprang from the deck and wild animals appeared. Dionysus grew in size and the terrified sailors threw themselves into the sea. Fortunately, the god was compassionate and changed the pirates into dolphins. Julius Caesar also was kidnapped by pirates. Was his life simply based on that of Dionysus? As for the December birthdates, surely you know that Jesus was not born in the winter, but that Roman Christians simply adopted the Festival of Saturn as "Christmas" to make conversion easier. It is more likely that he was born near the day of Passover, another type and shadow of Christ.

Jesus is the king of kings and the lord of lords. He also is the great I AM of scripture and the God of Israel, and judge of mankind. He also promised to one day return and usher in a new era of peace and righteousness.

• return of parakeet
    return of parakeet

James Thomas: " Look Viv, this is an extremely religious place. A holy place.

We have already done our research and have concluded that Jesus is god; and you're not."

A holy place? Wow. Did not know that. It's a good thing I'm a member of the Chruch of the FSM. Look it up.

"So go away. "

Take your own advice and don't let the door hit you in the ass.

Cold Steel: " Jesus is the king of kings and the lord of lords. He also is the great I AM of scripture and the God of Israel, and judge of mankind. He also promised to one day return and usher in a new era of peace and righteousness. "

Now who's stretching mythology?

And to think that it's the Christians who always complain that atheists attack THEM.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit