Pre-cleaning the district convention venue

by hoser 20 Replies latest jw friends

• hoser
    hoser

This year as with every previous year a letter was read on how we can honor Jehovah by helping to clean the stadium where the district convention is held.

Does the watchtower get a break on the rent if the dubs do a major cleaning of the stadium? Sounds like slave labour to me.

hoser

• Bucholz
    Bucholz

You know, in the city where I live, the dubs have an agreement with the owners of the Stadium used for District Conventions, where they are allowed to use the Stadium rent-free if the come clean it up twice or three times a year, usually before the beginning of the season. This is public knowledge though.

• hoser
    hoser

This is public knowledge though.

so the average publisher in the congregation knows about the arrangement?

• Bucholz
    Bucholz

Yeah, and I guess they're happy with it too, since it kinda means they don't have to give as much money.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I know the stadium in Edmonton does not offer any breaks. They consider it clean when they hand it over. I think the janitorial staff are mildly affronted that the Witnesses think that it needs another scrub.

I think the bucket brigade with soap and brushes is a traditional expression of their squeaky-clean reputation.

• out4good3
    out4good3

They used to do this before using the Astrodome in Houston. It was common knowledge then too as they used to talk it up about how gracious the dome administration was as to condition of the venue when finished and how it was a reflection favourabley upon jah.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Awhile back, they were using a horse racing stadium for conventions. The area anyone who went onstage walked through was a holding stable for track horses. The JW'S got rid of all traces (including manure smells) of horses and were often contracted to do some work like painting the stable to get a lower rent.

It was the only time there was no straw and manure everywhere.

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

Makes me wonder what arrangement they make with the stadiums. I know the last couple of weeks there has been a real push to take time off work and go to the pre-cleanining. They even want the dubs to bring buckets and mops.

I have been wondering what happens in places where unions are in place. How could watchtower get away with cleaning in cities where cleaning staff is unionized?

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I have been wondering what happens in places where unions are in place. How could watchtower get away with cleaning in cities where cleaning staff is unionized?

They are not paying sub-standard wages. They are volunteers. Exempt.

Doc

• jgnat
    jgnat

The Stadiums aren't always happy with all the little Witness rules. For instance, at the Edmonton stadium, the food vendors wanted a piece of the action and noted the lineups at the local convenience store. Instead of writing off that weekend as a loss, they asked that they be allowed to open their venues for the use and enjoyment of the convention goers.

You can imagine how that went off with the local Planning Committee.

The result? Congregation members were reminded to bring their bag lunch (not too big, mind you...fire regulations) and eat at their seats.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit