Does Knowledge of Evil Condemn Us?

by JosephAlward 63 Replies latest jw friends

• aChristian
    aChristian

Faithful,

You wrote: Sometimes I wonder why you bother with these guys. : (

Believe it or not, every once in a while I see signs of a heart open to God even in Joseph.

But mainly I hang in here for others on the board. As you know, my E mail is always open. Besides what you have sent me I have received E mails from several other people here. Some of them tell me that they always read my posts. Some say they seldom get involved with "deep" discussions because they lack confidence in their own understandings or writing abilities. They have encouraged me to "Keep up the fine fight for the faith" on their behalf. I have received many positive comments and encouraging E mails from D. Wiltshire, SadieJive, OutaService, Island Woman and several other people here, a couple who are pretty well known who may not want people knowing that they are "starting to come around." I do it mainly for them.

Oh, and as I have told you before, I appreciate your help. Hang in there, bro. Our King is coming.

Mike

• aChristian
    aChristian

I have a feeling I should not have mentioned the names of any of my recent "well wishers." Some of the ones I mentioned will probably be mad at me for mentioning them. Some of the ones I failed to mention will probably feel slighted that I didn't mention them.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Uhhg. Your post makes me sick to my stomach, Achristain. In the big picture, you sell only a slightly different brand of the bullshit that the WT organization sells. I guess it smells better and it's not as likely to kill you, so that is something. Enjoy your influence.

The Time magazine "400/40" Christians. *shakes head*

• aChristian
    aChristian

: Uhhg. ... sick to my stomach ... bullshit ...

So, Six, does that mean you are not one of those who I mentioned seem to be "starting to come around" to the message of Christ?

In all seriousness though, I know the gripes you have with some of the contents of the Old Testament. But you know very well that the message Christians preach today is one of "Love thy neighbor," and you know that the Christian scriptures neither encourage nor condone behavior that is harmful to anyone. That being the case, why are you so opposed to Christianity?

I don't remember ever quoting "Time magazine." Did I miss something interesting?

• JosephAlward
    JosephAlward

AChristian writes to SixofNine,

In all seriousness though, I know the gripes you have with some of the contents of the Old Testament. But you know very well that the message Christians preach today is one of "Love thy neighbor," and you know that the Christian scriptures neither encourage nor condone behavior that is harmful to anyone. That being the case, why are you so opposed to Christianity?
    I cannot speak for Six, but the reason some people oppose the literalism that extremist Christians espouse is that it requires that one believe that every story in the Bible is true. Few people have the stomach for the actions attributed to the all-loving god of the Bible who the author of 1 Samuel 15:1-3 said ordered the killing of infants and suckling babes, babes who surely had done nothing to warrant being killed.

They furthermore find it impossible to reconcile this passage with teaching elsewhere which hold that the innocent children must not be punished for the sins of their fathers.

Samuel was elder statesman to Saul, the King of Israel. In the first days of Saul's reign, he told Saul that the Lord wanted the Amalekites--who hundreds of years earlier had been in conflict with Israel--destroyed utterly. Here are the words of Samuel:

The LORD sent me to anoint thee to be king over his people, over Israel: now therefore hearken thou unto the voice of the words of the LORD. Thus saith the LORD of hosts, I remember that which Amalek did to Israel, how he laid wait for him in the way, when he came up from Egypt. Now go and smite Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and spare them not; but slay both man and woman, infant and suckling, ox and sheep, camel and ass. (1 Samuel 15:1-3)

If Samuel is correct, God urged the slaughter of suckling babes--infants feeding at the breasts of their mother. Of course, this wasn't the first time God sent innocents to their deaths. The God most people believe in would never order the death of infants and sucklings (1 Samuel 15:1-3) because of something their ancestors did four centuries earlier. Did the Lord forget that he inspired the Kings and Ezekiel authors to command that the sins of the fathers should not be visited on the children?

Fathers shall not be put to death for their children, nor children put to death for their fathers; each is to die for his own sins. (2 Kings 14:6)

The soul who sins is the one who will die. The son will not share the guilt of the father, nor will the father share the guilt of the son. (Ezekiel 18:20)

Which is more likely? That Samuel was told by the Lord to have Saul murder infants and sucklings, or Samuel was mistaken about what the Lord wanted? Thomas Paine expressed well his objection to Samuel's story in a letter from Paris to a Christian friend in 1797:

"What makes this pretended order to destroy the Amalekites appear the worse, is the reason given for it. The Amalekites, four hundred years before, according to the account in Exodus 18 ...had opposed the Israelites coming into their country, and this the Amalekites had a right to do, because the Israelites were the invaders, as the Spaniards were the invaders of Mexico. This opposition by the Amalekites, at that time, is given as a reason, that the men, women, infants and sucklings, sheep and oxen, camels and asses, that were born four hundred years afterward, should be put to death"

Those who prefer to believe that the 1 Samuel writer was right about God ordering the killing of the babies, rather than concede that not all of the Bible stories are correct, seem to be terribly misguided. Thus, it is not Christianity that people are against; it’s the foolishness taught by those Christians on the lunatic fringe that they’re against.

Now, which do you think is more likely, AChristian:

1. The 1 Samuel writer was correct: God did order the killing of the suckling babes.

or

2. The 1 Samuel writer was mistaken?

Joseph F. Alward
    "Skeptical Views of Christianity and the Bible"

http://members.aol.com/jalw/joseph_alward.html

• aChristian
    aChristian

Joseph,

I wrote to Six: I know the gripes you have with some of the contents of the Old Testament. ... [However,] the Christian scriptures neither encourage nor condone behavior that is harmful to anyone. That being the case, why are you so opposed to Christianity?

Obviously I wrote that because I wanted to know what he had against Christianity besides some of the contents of the Old Testament. So, what do you do? Try to start a debate about some of the contents of the Old Testament.

You seem to be quite certain that the passages you refer to prove that the Bible is either historically inaccurate or that its God is morally deficient, or both. I don't believe anything I will say on this subject will change your mind.

Besides, this topic is totally off topic in this thread. I entered this thread to discuss the questions you had for me pertaining to man's being corrupted by a knowledge of evil. It seems quite clear to me that your purpose in now bringing up these Old Testament passages is simply to attack the Bible. I've told you before I don't enter into discussions which are clearly designed only for that purpose.

• GWEEDO
    GWEEDO

Faithful

Gweedo: I think AC answered the rest of your questions very well. But he missed one. Maybe he did because he thought you were just kidding, not seriously asking a question. But just in case you were I'll answer it.
    You said >>>>> He also took away the snakes voice as punishement too it appears.

The snake never could talk. Satan just used that snake like a ventriloquist uses a dummy.

Well, I though you guys were saying God was the one who set up the test. So I thought by that logic you'd be saying God made the snake talk. But it was Satan. Was Satan a paid agent of God or something? God pays Satan to do a job for him and then he punishes a snake...God is so logical.

Of course there is no mention of Satan in Genesis for some strange reason. I think a more logical scenario is that orginally the Jews had a snake talking to eve, and just the same way the greeks realised that their Gods were utterly ridiculous, the jews realised talking snakes are ridiculous and started bringing this weird concept of Satan into the picture...

[/quote]You know what a dummy is don't you? That thing you called me. Me, the guy who is so dumb that he puts an apostrophe between the e and s in the word "snake's" and so dumb that he spells "punishment" differently than you do.[/quote]

ahhhh.... we have a Grammar nazi. You always know when someone aint got nuffin to say when he/she starts pointin' out spellin' errors etc.

[/quote]Edited by - Faithful2Jah on 11 April 2002 16:6:36[/quote]

What did you have to edit for?

BTW dont take the dummy thing too seriously. If I really wanted to throw insults i could dude..

I'll get back to AC soon

[unedited because I cant be bothered...excuse spelling and grammar]

• JosephAlward
    JosephAlward
    It seems quite clear to me that your purpose in now bringing up these Old Testament passages is simply to attack the Bible. I've told you before I don't enter into discussions which are clearly designed only for that purpose

That's a preposterous and transparently cowardly response, AChristian. You're refusing to answer the question because you don't know how to answer it without either looking silly, or else admitting that the Bible is in error.

Every time I present a question you cannot answer, you hide behind that defense; whenever I "attack the Bible" with a question you think you can answer you are only too happy to "enter into the discussion; you did that as recently as two hours ago with your "Bride of Christ" rebuttal to my argument.

You're not fooling anyone, AChristian; not even the ones who you've listed as your admirers--D. Wiltshire, SadieJive, OutaService, Island Woman. Stop running away from the hard questions, AChristian. Answer the question:

Which is more likely:

1. The 1 Samuel writer was correct: God did order the killing of the suckling babes.

or

2. The 1 Samuel writer was mistaken?

Joseph F. Alward
    "Skeptical Views of Christianity and the Bible"

http://members.aol.com/jalw/joseph_alward.html

• Faithful2Jah
    Faithful2Jah

Gweedo: I was only picking on your spelling because you called me "dummy." Ordinarily I would never act like such a jerk. Your actions were contagious.

>>>> Of course there is no mention of Satan in Genesis for some strange reason.

"So the Lord God said to the serpent, 'Because you have done this ... And I will put enmity
    between you and the woman, and between your offspring and hers; he will crush your head,
    and you will strike his heel.' " (Genesis 3:14,15)

With this passage from Genesis in mind, do you really think that anyone ever missed the idea that the snake in Eden was far more than an ordinary snake? I think it was always quite clear that "the ancient serpent [was] called the devil or Satan." Rev. 12:9

>>>>>> Well, I thought you guys were saying God was the one who set up the test. So I thought by that logic you'd be saying God made the snake talk. But it was Satan. Was Satan a paid agent of God or something?

God no doubt knew Satan would try to talk Adam and Eve into disobeying Him. He knew Satan's nature. So God probably arranged to have a snake and no other animal near "the tree of the knowledge of good and evil" the first time Eve was alone near that tree. That way Satan would have to use a snake to quite fittingly speak through. I bet God knew Satan lacked the patience to wait for another opportunity, when he might find Eve alone by that tree with a bunny rabbit nearby.

• aChristian
    aChristian

Joseph,

You wrote: Every time I present a question you cannot answer, you hide behind that defense; whenever I "attack the Bible" with a question you think you can answer you are only too happy to "enter into the discussion; you did that as recently as two hours ago with your "Bride of Christ" rebuttal to my argument.

That's because your argument was concerning the topic we had been discussing from this thread's beginning, why God didn't make us all incorruptible to begin with. I guess you must realize you lost that debate because now you want to start discussing an entirely different subject.

I entered this discussion because you dragged up some old post of mine and quoted something I there said out of context and made it the title of your thread. You have done that before. I should not have taken your bait. You seem to pick on me a lot. There must be a shortage of Christians on this board for one of its hungry lions.

I've told you before I make it a policy not to patronize your Bible bashing threads. I could provide reasonable answers to any of the questions you ask. But I no longer do so for Bible critics. I just don't have the time. Their list of criticisms is an endless one and, as you have shown time and time again, no answer no matter how reasonable is ever acceptable.

I do, however, answer such questions for people I believe are sincerely trying to understand the Bible. But that offer does not apply to those who I think may just be Bible bashers trying to waste my time. To them I usually recommend a couple good books on Bible difficulties.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit