Just can't miss a meeting, not even on a vacation

by Comatose 24 Replies latest jw friends

• ilikecheese
    ilikecheese

My boyfriend said that whenever he went on a family vacation, his mom found the Kingdom Hall before anything else. Even on longer vacations, she was at every meeting. He said that everyone was so nice to them, and that's one of the reasons his mom liked it so much.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

Back when I was in the Nazi congregation, aka Woodley Park, the elders would really mock any dub that was vacationing in the area, and yet they wouldn't attend a meeting. "How can u vacation from the truth?" asswipes

• TotallyADD
    TotallyADD

Not going to the KH while on vacations could cause you to start thinking outside the box. The Borg does not want that. It mean lost money for them. Totally ADD

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

Through the years we have camped with families that would bring all their meeting clothes and books. It was as if lighting would strike and kill them if they missed.

• jeremiah18:5-10
    jeremiah18:5-10

There is a reward (brownie points) for those who don't miss a meeting while on vacation, they get an extra day of everlasting life deposited in their account.

• chickpea
    chickpea

guilty as charged by hoser's post ... spent a month in NZ a decade ago and we "visitied" at least 4-5 different KHs and were indeed "love-bombed" and DERP award is deserved because before we left home, i asked our PO (don't remember the new designation, and don't even care!) if we could offer greetings from our KH to whichever KH we were attending.... and FML if we didn't write down and pass along the effing "love and greeting" message from each of the halls we attended.....

i continue to beg my children to forgive me for having ever dragged them into a cult, and i thank them as often for getting me out....

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I don't know how many times they mention this in May or June, that you are supposed to find the Kingdumb Hell first thing you are on vacation. Take a trip, you need to attend all the boasting sessions. And do field circus--after all, you are not at work, so you should be able to put in quite a few hours of field circus per day. To me, that is a complete waste of the vacation.

And especially an expensive one. Fine, say if you are going to Trenton from Philadelphia, or you are going to Cleveland from Buffalo. But, if you are going way out of town, you should not waste the time being at boasting sessions or in field circus. People have been known to waste vacations where they go to Paris or London, from the United Tyranny of Stupidity, and do all the boasting sessions and go out in field circus most of the time. Worse, if you are going to some really exotic place, it is a sheer waste to do field circus and/or boasting sessions. On a safari, for instance, you are there to enjoy that part of Africa, not to witless to everyone. And I can think of dozens of things better to do if I had a month in New Zealand than boasting sessions or field circus. That is a complete waste of the whole trip.

Now, this is because joke-hova cannot bear to see people develop. If you go to New Zealand, for instance, you might be able to do void meditation in the sun for a few minutes, especially if you are waiting for something. On a safari, you can take in the sights of the animals--and possibly do meditations for a few minutes. Those meditations fill in the dead times, not preventing you from enjoying the whole thing like a boasting session or field circus would. Or, going to the Caribbean and doing void meditation for 20 minutes after a nice sunset enhances the experience. At the boasting session, you would miss the sunset.

With Satan, everything can be done while enjoying things. You don't waste a whole block of time doing nothing but reading the LIE-ble or littera-trash from it. Instead, it might be a few seconds or a minute here while intensely enjoying the scenery, or spending 20 minutes meditating while sunbathing or waiting for a bus. It can be worked in so you don't miss anything--in fact, doing a meditation after a sunset or while sunbathing enhances it. And, there is no crime in taking some total down time--taking a few hours or a day to just enjoy an amusement park from time to time never hurts. Try that with joke-hova.

• Giordano
    Giordano

To be honest during the ten years I was associated we never considered an assembly a vacation and we never ever looked for and attended a local KH.

"What were the friends like in Bermuda?"

Answer "About the same as here."

• Giordano
    Giordano

To be honest during the ten years I was associated we never considered an assembly a vacation and we never ever looked for and attended a local KH.

"What were the friends like in Bermuda?"

Answer "About the same as here."

• bats in the belfry
    bats in the belfry

Let me guess, a reprint of the June & July Our Kingdom Ministry (1987) is in order:

Include Meetings in Your Vacation Plans

1 “Now that I have made arrangements for my vacation, how can I locate the nearest Kingdom Hall?” Does that question come up at times when you plan a vacation? Many find that some of their most memorable experiences on vacation are enjoyed when they attend meetings and share in field service with the local congregation. This helps them to “widen out” in their hearts, resulting in a greater appreciation “for the whole association of brothers.”—2 Cor. 6:11-13; 1 Pet. 2:17.

2 You may travel to areas where you are already acquainted with the local congregation because of previous visits. But how can you locate the nearest congregation when you have not been in that area before? Some local newspapers give the Kingdom Hall address along with meeting times. The local telephone directory may have a listing under “Jehovah’s Witnesses” or “Kingdom Hall.” Otherwise, you may find a policeman, postman, or other knowledgeable resident who can either direct you to the Kingdom Hall or assist you in contacting brothers living in the community. It is a good idea to look up the congregation as soon as you arrive in the area.

3 Meeting times are about the same in most places. However, keep in mind that Kingdom Halls in some areas may have meetings in different languages. By telephoning the Kingdom Hall in advance, you can make sure that the meeting you plan to attend is in your language, and you can ask for directions to help you find the hall.

4 Vacation time gives us an opportunity to be away from our secular activity and enjoy a few days of relaxation. However, we do not want to take time off from serving Jehovah. When attending meetings and sharing in the field ministry with the congregation where we are spending our vacation, we may find special refreshment for ourselves as well as be a source of encouragement to the local brothers.—Heb. 10:24, 25; 13:15, 16.

km 6/87 pp. 3-4 Include Meetings in Your Vacation Plans

7 In order to make your travel plans complete, be sure to include arrangements for attending meetings and perhaps sharing in field service with the local congregation. The June 1987 Our Kingdom Ministry article “Include Meetings in Your Vacation Plans” offered suggestions on how to locate the nearest Kingdom Hall.
    8 Whether we are spending most of July with our home congregation or we are visiting in other areas, we will want to participate to the extent possible in congregation meetings and field activity. By “always having plenty to do in the work of the Lord,” our minds will be directed aright, and we will maintain fine works to Jehovah’s praise.—1 Cor. 15:58.

km 7/87 p. 3 pars. 7-8 ‘Keep Our Minds on Maintaining Fine Works’

Thank God the Kingdom Hall locations and meeting times are listed on JW.org - easily looked up and detoured/bypassed when doing vacation map planning.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit