Can somebody explain the changes I read in the WT??

by diana netherton 43 Replies latest jw friends

• jws
    jws

Do JWs really see this as new light? Even as a kid in the 70's I saw the 2 members of the 'annointed' in our congregation. I knew they had no special connection to the headquarters. One was an elder and had contact in that respect, but the other was just an older lady who liked to talk in a pious voice. Picture those rich ladies in 3 stooges shorts would say things like "Well! I never!" We used to give her rides to the KH. I even asked her once whether she ever wrote anything for the books or magazines and she said didn't. She was one of the few pioneers in that hall though and I think she thought of that as her contribution.

I could see back then that the annointed outside of Brooklyn had nothing to do with the "spiritual food" (ie publications) and always understood the FDS to be the leaders in NY. That may not be exactly what the teaching was, but as stated before, there's a lot of confusing, boring things in these publications and most people don't know what they really teach.

As for me, I grew up thinking the FDS was the GB. Was that the average JWs were thinking too? Because there's the actual teaching and then there's what the confused JW ends up believing anyway.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

The 'faithful slave' has always been officially taught as being ALL anointed ones on earth. The GB represents the FDS. Now, only the GB are the FDS.

----

THE Governing Body of Jehovah’s Witnesses consists of dedicated men who are anointed servants of God. They act as representatives of the faithful and discreet slave class, which has the responsibility of providing spiritual food and giving direction and impetus to the Kingdom-preaching work throughout the earth.—Matt. 24:14, 45-47.

w085/15p.29HowtheGoverningBodyIsOrganized

w109/15p.23par.8"YourLeaderIsOne,theChrist"

In this time of the end, Christ has committed "all his belongings"—all the earthly interests of the Kingdom—to his "faithful and discreet slave" and its representative Governing Body, a group of anointed Christian men. (Matt. 24:45-47) The anointed and their other sheep companions recognize that by following the lead of the modern-day Governing Body, they are in fact following their Leader, Christ.

• fresh prince of ohio
    fresh prince of ohio

One thing you can count on is that Matthew 24:45 will continue to reign supreme as the most cited scripture in WTS publications.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Man, there are some "scholarly JW's" (an oxymoron if I ever heard one) that were all into these deeper understandings in the 1980's and 1990's that I would love to have a deep conversation with about abandoning the teachings that "prove" God is with the JW's.

Too bad they would never allow that conversation.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

You can't make sense of nonsense. Quit trying, you'll only frustrate yourself.

• Brother of the Hawk
    Brother of the Hawk

Marked, for when the elders return

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

The WT had reached a pinnicle with a lot of their teachings, but time ran out on them. Technology doesn't help either. They had to dump the kook with his pyramids. Plus the wacky dates before 1914 don't help their cause either. Now it's not just a matter of discontinuing certain publications, as they are already out here, scanned, and listed on websites for review.

But time and a new generation are always on their side. People want the inside scoop and they deliver. Albiet through the use of false promises, and faulty doctrine. But a new doctrine is just a pen stroke away. Just another idea that they "really really like".

They had their day when they were almost believable. But cults always make the fatal mistake of believing ther own lies.

• sosoconfused
    sosoconfused

Funny thing is that Charles Taze Russell was the one who came up with the whole 1914 thing by means of prophecy...

So if Charles Taze was not of the Faithful and Discreet Slave, why would Jesus or Jehovah give him the understanding of such deep prophecy?

So that would mean that 1914 calculation which everything is based on comes from a individual not of the FDS... seems a little odd to me

• Brother of the Hawk
    Brother of the Hawk

The house of cards will crumble!!

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

Funny thing is that Charles Taze Russell was the one who came up with the whole 1914 thing by means of prophecy...

So if Charles Taze was not of the Faithful and Discreet Slave, why would Jesus or Jehovah give him the understanding of such deep prophecy?

===

This thinking is patently false. If you read the Proclaimers book (Jv), the WT openly admits that Russell detested end time chronologies. It was only after Barbour convinced him of certain chronologies that Russell changed his mind. The 1914 date and everything associated with it was not thought up by Russell. WT never admits this because it undermines the very foundation WT uses to establish itself as the one true religion.

Please note: NOT ONE thing Russell predicted would occur in 1914 actually happened. A 100% failure rate. WT retained the 1914 date, but everything associated with it has been re-worked or minimized to conceal the facts of what Russell and the WT taught.

from www.reslight.net

The 1914 date wasn't original with Russell. J. A. Seiss pointed to 1914, though on a different basis. He had read Seiss's Last Times. It entered his thinking as accepted doctrine during his association with Barbour.

The forthcoming book Nelson Barbour: The Millennium's Forgotten Prophet contains this bit of history (used by permission):

Barbour and his associates did not immediately reconsider Gentile Times. The issues of an invisible parousia and other chronological speculations came first. We also do not know who among them initiated the discussion. In the absence of other claims, it is probably safe to suppose that Barbour was responsible for concluding Gentile Times ended not in the 1870s, but in 1914. The first mention of the 1914 date as the end of The Times of the Gentiles is in the September 1875 issue of The Herald of the Morning. In passing Barbour remarked, "‘The time of the Gentiles,’ viz. Their seven prophetic times of 2520 years ... which began when God gave all into the hands of Nebuchadnezzar, in 606 B. C.; do not end until 1914."49

Barbour is indebted to John Aquila Brown for the 2520 year computation. Brown in turn owes the calculation of the "seven times" of Daniel’s prophecy as 2520 years and the association of it to The Times of the Gentiles to Joshua Spalding. Spaulding wrote Divine Theory; A System of Divinity in 1798, though it seems not to have been published until 1808. Spalding, writing of the seven-times of Daniel’s Great Tree Vision, said: "Seven times, or one full week of years, upon the great prophetic scale, is 2520 years. This supposition is much strengthened by the consideration, that the continuance of mystical Babylon is said expressly to be for a time, times, and a half; and as the times allotted for this division of the empire, is the half of a week, three times and a half, it is natural to conclude, that the whole of the times, called the times of the Gentiles, is a whole week, or seven times."50

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit