The Bible - Which books get to stay or go decided my men - cut & paste old school

by HarryMac 42 Replies latest jw experiences

• StAnn
    StAnn

I'm a believer. I find the "extra" books of the Bible to be interesting reading. I'm Roman Catholic but find the Orthodox and their Bible very interesting.

I've always been told that a lot of discussion about which books made it in and which books made it out had to do with politics, i.e., the Jews didn't accept the Septuagint which Jesus used because some of the books were written by Jews in exile. The men involved in all of this choosing were rather ethnocentric.

All of the books were written by men and the canon of scripture was codified by men. I don't see the Bible as a "literal" document or one without error and believe that biblical scholarship can only help us understand the context more and more as time goes by.

So there, a comment from a believer.

• JWB
    JWB

Tameria2001, yes 6 is a "man's number" apparently, so 66 must be even more so, and don't get me started about 666!

• *lost*
    *lost*

6 ! nice connection there.

Yes I have always wondered about the 'missing books' the things that have been hidden from us, and why ?

The very people Jesus preached against and warned against, decided what we should be allowed to know.

Total control.

Great thread this one

• JWB
    JWB

Extracts from Church historian Eusebius in book 3, part 25 of his 'History of the Church':

"It will be well, at this point, to classify the New Testament writings already referred to. We must, of course, put first the holy quartet of the gospels, followed by the Acts of the Apostles. The next place in the list goes to Paul's epistles, and after them we must recognize the epistle called 1 John; likewise 1 Peter. To these may be added, if it is thought proper, the Revelation of John, the arguments about which I shall set out when the time comes. These are classed as Recognized Books. Those that are disputed, yet familiar to most, include the epistles known as James, Jude, and 2 Peter, and those called 2 and 3 John, the work either of the evangelist or of someone else with the same name."

"Among Spurious Books must be placed the 'Acts' of Paul, the 'Shepherd', and the 'Revelation of Peter'; also the alleged 'Epistle of Barnabas', and the 'Teachings of the Apostles', together with the Revelation of John, if this seems the right place for it: as I said before, some reject it, others include it among the Recognized Books. Moreover, some have found a place in the list for the 'Gospel of Hebrews', a book which has a special appeal for those Hebrews who have accepted Christ. These would all be classed with the Disputed Books, but I have been obliged to list the latter separately, distinguishing those writings which according to the tradition of the Church are true, genuine, and recognized, from those in a different category, not canonical but disputed, yet familiar to most churchmen; for we must not confuse these with the writings published by heretics under the name of apostles, as containing either Gospels of Peter, Thomas, Matthias, and several others besides these, or Acts of Andrew, John, and other apostles. To none of these has any churchman of any generation ever seen fit to refer in his writings. Again, nothing could be farther from apostolic usage than the type of phraseology employed, while the ideas and implications of their contents are so irreconcilable with true orthodoxy that they stand revealed as the forgeries of heretics. If follows that so far from being classed even among Spurious Books, they must be thrown out as impious and beyond the pale."

From the Penguin Classics series of books, "Eusebius, The History of the Church", pages 88 and 89.

• HarryMac
    HarryMac

Now how do you feel about 1 Corinthians 15:33 being quoted to you 8 million times in your youth?

Sometimes it's hard to not thirst for revenge! (lol)

• HarryMac
    HarryMac

oh... and 'You're welcome' ... to those that thanked me.

For those that didn't... I know you wanted to... therefore ... 'You're welcome'

• mP
    mP

You goto wonder why there are only 2 letters from peter. If he lived until 90 how come he only wrote 2 letters in 60 years ? James must have lived a long time and can barely manage a one pager.

• HarryMac
    HarryMac

Never thought of that before.

• moomanchu
    moomanchu

Interesting list.

I like to ask JW's this question -

Since man was able to alter the bible of the most important thing, that is to remove Jehovah's name,

how then can I trust anything else written the bible?

• mP
    mP

@moom:

Because

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit