Whats the worst 'get-together' game you endured?

by Latte 49 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Latte
    Latte

Dear all,

As a young teenager, we were always having ‘get-togethers’…. you know the ‘spiritually upbuilding' kind ie. Bible quizzies, really BORING stuff. The worst one for me was when this pioneer sister said (most enthusiastically) “shall we play the scissor game??” We all had to sit around in a circle and pass a pair of scissors to the person sat next to us; it was utterly BORING. Yet, some were clearly enjoying this wholesome ‘fun’. I remember the feeling’s I had at that time………..’help get me out of this place!’ I did my best to avoid get-togethers after that one! lol

Anyone else dislike get-togethers? Or was it just me?? (lol)

Latte

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

There were some good parties that were thrown, some good times out with JWs, but those sorts of get-togethers you mention were just plain embarrassing.

Usually the bad ones were a bunch of self-righteous pioneer girls throwing something to attract a bunch of dork bethelites. The games drove me insane and i rarely went to these things unless I was dragged. That damn scissor game and one called the spoon game, but I can't remember how they were played.

I would usually just drink the whole night and 'observe' and would end up offending the self-righteous because I had more than 1 or 2 drinks.

"Gatherings" with more mature Witnesses would include the dreaded Kindom Melodies sing-song sessions. I never minded the eating and drinking and discussion. But not the dreaded sing-song.

Path

• chezza
    chezza

The ever faithful bible cards, the watchtower preparations, and the damn peg game. Gee witnesses get all the fun, not!

• joelbear
    joelbear

Your get togethers were no fun because I wasn't there. :)

We had a blast at ours and laughed until we were sick.

Lets see. Silly games we played.

1. The 9 Watchtowers on the floor puzzle game.
    2. King of the Hill. everyone gets a number and has to clap in rhythm and say their number and then someone's elses number to the rhythm of the clapping. It was a lot of fun.
    3. The cahoots game. One of my favorites because some people would inevitably think demons were in the room. We were taught this by two sisters from New York which confirmed our view of yankees.
    4. Poor Kitty. An alltime favorite. One person gets on the floor and crawls up to different people. They have to pat them on the head 3 times saying poor kitty without smiling. Degrading yet hysterical.
    5. The under the blanket game. Take off everything adam and eve didnt have in the garden of eden. You were supposed to take off the blanket. One time this really hot guy got down to his underwear before the host stopped him. I was extremely entertained at this point.
    6. Where'd you go, Who'd you see, what'd you say, what'd they say, what was the result. My ultimate all time favorite get together game. Absolutely fun.

Man, I miss get togethers. Maybe I just had a fun congregation.

hugs

Joel

• Xena
    Xena

ROFL Joel I loved the under the blanket game!!!! And spoons was a favorite too, but then I enjoy card games!

I did hate the Watchtower prep parties though!!!!!!!

• sleepy
    sleepy

We once played a game were you had two sides who had to draw a bible scene the first dide to guess it right wins that round.
    When it was my turn to draw , I had to draw jesus , I wanted to win so I thought the quickest way was to draw him on a cross.

I think every one thought I was Satans personnal agent or something ,I won the round though.

• Angharad
    Angharad

I had to sit through Simon singing karaoke not so long go, but it was great fun and we enjoyed it! Eventhough I was too chicken.

The worst one I remember was when someone was sent out the room and everyone picked a bible based event, then the person came back in and was allowed to ask a certain number of yes or no questions to guess it. Very wholesome and spiritually unbuilding YAWN[8>]

• Gopher
    Gopher

HOT POTATO.

Everyone in the room wrote down a Bible question to which they knew the answer. Then everyone placed their slips of paper (with questions) into a grocery bag.

A designated "caller" would say "hot potato" several times, while the bag was passed around the room. When the caller said "HOT!" for the last time, whoever held the bag had to reach in and grab out a slip with a question on it.

If their answer wasn't correct (according to the one who wrote the question), they had to select a Kingdom Song, take a songbook and sing one verse in front of the whole gathering.

Sound fun?

-J.R., member, UADNA-MN
    (Unseen Apostate Directorate of North America - Minnesota division)

This post was not evaluated by any mental health professionals.
    Any opinions expressed are those of a fuzzy, cuddly rodent.

• Moxy
    Moxy

good topic.

i played some good games, a lot of those that joel mentioned. i actually started a lot of those cheesy games going in my day. the bible pictionary one could be fun if you chose the right kinds of words, not words like 'Christ's enthronement in 1914' or 'The destruction of Babylon the Great' (both examples from my father when he would try and make words) but words like 'leprosy' or 'concubine' or really undrawable words like 'justice' -- those were fun times.

at parties with the more elite (elders pioneers overseers) where i would occasionally be, one game was to pick a bible character, reveal the first letter of their name like 'Z' and then each would take turns guessing with clues like 'Did he trick Mephibosheth out of his inheritance?' and you would have to figure out who he meant and say 'No, it wasnt Ziba.' the turn would pass when someone asked a question you didnt know or guessed the right person. This was a great game because it very quickly segregated people that didnt know their bible. just uproarious sweaty-palms fun.

mox

• Simon
    Simon

he he ... I always dreaded Karaoke and tried it for the first time recently - ignore Angharad, I'm sure it was like Elvis was there in the room ...

I actually liked the other one because I always annoyed people by winning (me the 'poor bible student' against my bother-in-law the elder).

They thought of anything out of the bible and you tried to guess it within so many (5 I think) questions - yes and no anwers only.

So, "Is it a person", "Is it a place", "Is it in the old testament" sort of thing.

I think I won because I think logically in terms of data sets and binary tree searches to keep cutting the number of possible solutions down (instead of my sisters bizzare first questions like "Is it one of the apostles?")

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit