Do David Splanes offensive and pompous orations have a silver lining?

by ranmac 24 Replies latest jw friends

• outsmartthesystem
    outsmartthesystem

Julia - U R exactly right. These guys are WORSHIPPED. After David Splane gave his talk, I was speaking with a "sister" from our KH. She raved about how blessed we were to have a GOVERNING BODY member RIGHT HERE with us! She asked me my thoughts. I was honest. I told her he was a bit dry (he was....no pulpit pounding or ranting). She was horribly offended. She said "do you understand who you're talking about?" I said "would you rather I just agree with you?"

Yes....I was waking up at this time, hence my honesty.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Oh, jeezus; you know the writing's on the wall when GB members have verbal-spooging fanboys.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    designs - "He ranted at the audience, pounded the podium, accused the people of being faithless slackers and it was that light bulb moment realizing that this Religion was being led by crazy guys."

Any chance that talk's on Youtube?

• scotoma
    scotoma

I would rather have a robust authoritarian like Rutheford running things. I am old enough to have talked to many old timers and I never met one who acutally liked Rutheford, some hated him. But they all remained in the organization.

Splane is a weak and feeble wimp who got into power by default. These are the worst kind. They are slimy and don't really know what to do with power. They are in power so they think they must simulate power. Think CALIGULA! Read about it on Wiki.

I don't know the exact section of one of Ray Franz's books where the governing body is sitting around discussing something and one of them said "Well, what does the society say about this?" And it was a serious comment. They never thought that THEY were at that moment the "Society".

Just say NO to Yes Men.

• soontobe
    soontobe

Not just Splane. Losch did it for me.

• steve2
    steve2

This is truly one of the organization's most consistent and blatantly exploited "Blind Spots": The adulation of men at the helm of the Watchtower Society.

From Chuck Russell to Rutherford to Knorr to Freddie Franz and on and on. These men "at the top" provide a ready-made replacement Jesus who himself was a replacement for a never-arriving Messiah. If you cannot get the "End" you pray for, distract your brain-dead mind with some polite reverence for human flesh and blood. And if its accent is American, so much for giving it an improved-modern edge.

While polite adulation of men is definitely not new in this lamentably hypocritical organization, it has a new twist: The adulation "fans out" now to include a serial parade eight of "Brothers" who selectively travel the never-ending world to touch - and be touched by - their self-righteous admirers.

• ranmac
    ranmac

Steve2, its those kind of attitudes on mental health that have seriously detrimental effects on the followers. I think its a problem thats as serious and dangerous as the blood and pedofile issues. I wonder how great a percentage of followers have legitimate mental health issues. How many of these people are made worse by the borg? How many are belittled for it? How many are punished for it?

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    scotoma - "I would rather have a robust authoritarian like Rutherford running things."

They did.

His name was Ted Jaracz.

And the WTS became such a pleasent and uplifiting spiritual environment during his tenure.

• steve2
    steve2

Good questions ranmac. The organization's ignorance of mental-health issues is pretty endemic among "Bible-believing" communities, but the Witnesses represent a concentrated version of myth-making about mental health and the men in charge of congregations are woefully ignorant and lack any sensitivity about how to help those who, say struggle with mood or anxiety disorders, among others.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Yep. And Scientologists eliminate the psychological threat by out-and-out demonizing the profession. Witnesses at a point certainly did demonize psychology, but to a lesser extent in recent years.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit